Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sanitary Concerns

Sanitary Concerns

It seems that my rally experiences usually include frustration with the sanitary facilities. My concerns are:

Since I plan to Camp

Long Long lines

lack of maintenance (Cleaning)

I'm sure that the shower trailers are expensive to rent, thus there is never a surplus of them. At a rally last year that I attended, they were placed along a dirt/dust road. It was near impossible NOT to track dirt inside and the showers were quite a mess. With no way to tidy up after yourself it was impossible to be a "good citizen"
    I also ended up with a cold shower brr and there was no one on site that I knew of to report the problem to.

Hopefully arrangements can be/have been made that the facilities will be kept tidy at all reasonable times particularly early in the morning.

This would go a long way in improving my experience.
    Last edited by amiles; 03-24-2008 at 03:34 PM.

MISTERMIKE
    The shower facilities at the Westbend national were in fine shape. As for lines, I suggest you shower off peak, i.e. not between 7:30-9:30 am. Showering in the evening is a good strategy, too; you'll have the showers to yourself and you won't dirty up your sleeping bag.

SNC1923
    All the rallies I've attended, those that had trailer/showers, have been good sanitary experiences. There seems to be a cleaning attendant on site at all times. YMMV, but you have reason to be optimistic about Gillette.

Me too;

My past rallies have been up and down, with so many in past years without proper numbers of shower facilities and some real poor ones too! Its getting better and West Bend was an improvement indeed. I think I heard Gillette is to have 4 truck shower rigs on site and this is even getting better. Some years had school facilities available, but the truck shower rigs are more a private shower affair for those wanting some basic privacy and are fairly well kept, with staff on hand running it. Gillette should do well, if 4 rigs get in there and one picks his/her hours right for showering. DO remember this, however as the shower rigs have hours of operation(not 24 hours) and one should look closely at the operating hours for these. The hours are usually day long, closing late at night and open around 5-6AM. My experience anyhow. Happy Trails, Randy13233

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    It seems that my rally experiences usually include frustration with the sanitary facilities. My concerns are:

Since I plan to Camp

Long Long lines

lack of maintenance (Cleaning)

I'm sure that the shower trailers are expensive to rent, thus there is never a surplus of them. At a rally last year that I attended, they were placed along a dirt/dust road. It was near impossible to track dirt inside and the showers were quite a mess. With no way to tidy up after yourself it was impossible to be a "good citizen"
    I also ended up with a cold shower brr and there was no one on site that I knew of to report the problem to.

Hopefully arrangements can be/have been made that the facilities will be kept tidy at all reasonable times particularly early in the morning.

This would go a long way in improving my experience.
    I suspect we were at the same rally. My riding buddy bathed in the nearby river and I used my travel trailer.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Here's the secret to having a great shower experience at any rally.

Wake up in the morning and go riding. Don't shower, but brush your teeth.

When you get back in the afternoon, but before dinner, take a shower. You'll be clean and refreshed after your day and ready for an evening of socializing.

Tina and I call it "rally shower schedule". Last year, I never waited in line and had the entire shower trailer to myself every time.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Here's the secret to having a great shower experience at any rally.

Wake up in the morning and go riding. Don't shower, but brush your teeth.

When you get back in the afternoon, but before dinner, take a shower. You'll be clean and refreshed after your day and ready for an evening of socializing.

Tina and I call it "rally shower schedule". Last year, I never waited in line and had the entire shower trailer to myself every time.
    2am fits this requirement quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    At a rally last year that I attended, they were placed along a dirt/dust road. It was near impossible to track dirt inside and the showers were quite a mess. With no way to tidy up after yourself it was impossible to be a "good citizen"

Lemme guess...Ashville?

My shower was not only cold, it was dark. The generator kicked off and we had no light. That was only one issue that prompted us to move to the Holiday Inn.

I'll stick to credit card camping from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I suspect we were at the same rally. My riding buddy bathed in the nearby river and I used my travel trailer.
    Like Newstar mentioned as well, this had to be Asheville. The first day I had an icy cold shower (which ultimately was probably good since I was burning up after setting my tent up). The second day on, I used the biohazard showers. Absolutely terrible. There were also a few issues with the portable toilets not being emptied/cleaned frequently. I hear the Biltmore people had never done an event like that, and were overwhelmed with the crowd. As for the MOA rallies I've been to, the shower trailers have always been in good condition and well kept.

Has anyone here been to the original Woodstock? I always wished I could have made that one, but I was to young at the time.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by GS20Rider View Post
    Has anyone here been to the original Woodstock? I always wished I could have made that one, but I was to young at the time.
    they had showers at Woodstock???

Oh, yeah, Rain Showers

and showers of mud!

but everyone was too stoned to notice.....

RM

Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    Like Newstar mentioned as well, this had to be Asheville. The first day I had an icy cold shower (which ultimately was probably good since I was burning up after setting my tent up). The second day on, I used the biohazard showers. Absolutely terrible. There were also a few issues with the portable toilets not being emptied/cleaned frequently. I hear the Biltmore people had never done an event like that, and were overwhelmed with the crowd. As for the MOA rallies I've been to, the shower trailers have always been in good condition and well kept.
    I think both the RA and the Biltmore were overwhelmed with the number of people that showed up. It was my 4th. RA rally and the number of people that attended was at least twice as large as the others I have been to. Of the four people with my group, I was the only one who pre-registered. One was a Honda rider who just wanted to go because it was at the Biltmore.

Can you imagine the chaos there would be at a MOA rally if the attendance was double the number planned for?
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I really didn't want to single out the Biltmore RA rally. I only wanted to use it as an example. My thought at the time was that the Rally authorities had paid good money to have the facilities via our rally fees, and that the contractor had not provided the services paid for.

I am sure that the volunteers that put on rallys like this have a million details to drive them crazy prior to during and after the rally. It just seems a shame that something that should be able to be left in the competent hands of a paid contractor was less than satisfactory.

Those of us that choose to camp rather than R/V or moteling are at the mercy of the facility's facilities. A clean hot shower is a wonderful thing
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just to clarify, I wasn't trashing the RA Rally or the Biltmore. I know their attendance was way more than anticipated and I'm guilty because I would not have gone if it was anywhere else.

I thought the Biltmore staff did a fantastic job and thank them for allowing us to be there. I'm sure the RA staff worked equally hard. It was just unfortunate that they were in the middle of a drought and parked in a dust bowl at 95+ degrees.

Loved being there tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    Just to clarify, I wasn't trashing the RA Rally or the Biltmore. I know their attendance was way more than anticipated and I'm guilty because I would not have gone if it was anywhere else.

I thought the Biltmore staff did a fantastic job and thank them for allowing us to be there. I'm sure the RA staff worked equally hard. It was just unfortunate that they were in the middle of a drought and parked in a dust bowl at 95+ degrees.

Loved being there tho!
    I live two and a half hours away and it was by far the hottest and driest for the time of year I ever remember (and I'm 60). Normal June weather would have resulted in lush green camping area with warm days and cool nights.