• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for Diode board

coyotebmw

I am looking to find a good replacement Diode board for my 1983 R80RT. Other than an original BMW board, I am looking at possible after-market replacements that may be more resilient than the original. I have heard that there are some out there, does anyone have a suggestion. I found one called a "Thunderchild Heavy Duty Diode Board" for about $90, anyone have experience with this product. I was also told of another one by a parts worker at the local BMW shop, but can't find the card with the name on it. I know an OEM BMW Diode Board is about $106, but supposedly some of the after-market ones are better.

Aftermarket is the Kat's Azz!!!
Thunderchild and the other is made by MotoEletek or something like that.
Either, or,.. is way better than OEM BMW,sorry....BM....
When replacing the diode board, replace the rubber mounts with the "solid one's". Recommended by all "airhead guru's" Better "heat transfer" longer life for the board........!

:bliss

Thunderchild

Agree with all-have had mine for 4+ years..........have mine installed on the "side cover". Took 4 bolts, JB Welded the heads to the cover in the EXACT right position. Slipped the Thunderchild on the bolts, and voila!!!!!

Ofcourse the 3 phase wires must be extended from the alternator, but very simple task. I also recommend doubling the ground on BOTH blades of the diode board.

This system has worked for over 50K in VERY warm riding conditions. Airflow behind the cover is significant.

Regards.................Shep

Thunderchild and Gen light

Well I finally got the Thunderchild diode board and installed it yesterday. I fit right in and had very good instructions with it. My problem with the generator light glowing dimmly has gone away!!

Back