• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

To Kenosha Pass, Colorado

Thank you for sharing the video. I want to record like that. What kind of camera equipment do you use and how is it mounted and wired? Also what editing software do you use? Thanks again.

Ray

Steve, once again, thoroughly enjoyed the sights and sounds of your report. But, I have to ask, at 10,000 feet, 30 degrees, and 40mph winds, is there so much salt/sand on the road that ice isn't an issue??? The video really shows how the sun can really mask what the road surface is like. Salt residue and ice can look identical.

Colorado does not use salt on our roads. Sand, and some chemical agents to aid melting, but not salt. As long as the sun is out, ice doesn't happen too much. in the shade, or after the sun sets, well, that's a different story.

Salty old dog

I do beleive your right!

To my knowledge the front range never used the salt, but the high country (the roads with increasing elevation) CDOT were not past throwing a bit on the roads to keep the the touristos from sliding off on the way to spend money at the ski areas!

Thank you for sharing the video. I want to record like that. What kind of camera equipment do you use and how is it mounted and wired? Also what editing software do you use? Thanks again.

Ray

Ray... For this Kenosha vid I parked a Sony Cybershot digital camera on Techmount attached to the bars. Many digital cameras now have a very fine movie mode. Have recorded many vids using helmet cams and MiniDV camcorders but increasingly like the simplicity, small size, light weight, no tape, etc. features of a digital camera. Guess with increasing age is greater interest in simplicity. :)

Any editing software will do, even the freely available Microsoft Movie Maker, but for this recording used Sony Vegas.

Steve

okay, me confused too. never seen salt used (maybe just not here n front Range territory), but the MagCl is fairly common.

Same here. Rarely, if ever, have seen salt on CO roads. Will see the powdery Mag Chloride and waaaaay too much sand, but never salt.

Steve your RT and mine are quite similar, even the black lowers. I'm interested in what equipment you used to record the video; camera, mounts, etc. I notice you had the windscreen in the full "up" position. Was this due to the weather or does your camera require that?

Thanks man, nice ride! :thumb

Wez

Wez... This vid was from a digital camera (sony Cybershot) movie mode test where I removed the GPS from its Techmount mount (using the empty hole near the clutch reservoir) and pointed it through the screen. Challenge I had was if I extended the mount arm up high the edge of the screen would have been right in the middle of the recording! Thus, I angled the mount towards the inside of the screen (thus lowering it), and the cam then captured a portion of the screen support bracket.

In the brisk wind, yes, I did have the screen up some, but it wasn't up all the way. :)

Back