• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Last K100LT ride

HFbmw

I had purchased a new to me K1100RS bike last July. Always thot it cool when seeing here and other web sites the amount of motorcycles people have. However I couldn't just let the LT sit in my small garage and wait for a ride now and then.
I had thought of selling the bike but I don't ever get the price I sugest. I called a nephew and asked if he would be interested in the LT. Knowing the cost of living is getting difficult each year and the price of these bikes aren't going down either.
He said he wanted it and how much.

told him its FREE, just come and get it! We kept thinking of some month when he would fly from Dallas, Texas to Minneapolis. Anyways 2 weeks ago I get an email stating his brother would be coming down for some vacation time. I first waited with anticipitation for the end of the day to arrive.
After 30+years of marriage its very critical to start the theme or idea with the wife first! Then I called Brandon in Des Moines asking for a ride from Texas back. Agreed. Then I called my supervisor and asked for the time off and he was all for it!

So with long expectaions I watched the weather this past week. Had thought of leaving today from Minneapolis but the weather was coming in. Opted to head out on the 91 K bike , Sunday the 16.
I had changed the oil on the bike to summer grade. Big mistake... didn't want to start do to the oil weight. Finally put the jumper cables from the car to the bike. Headlight burned bright while I hit the starter and the engine surprised me when fired.

20 degrees. Home made electric vest kept me warm most of the trip. heated grips also helped. This K bike I have had for 5 years or 84,000 miles. I hadn't used it since coming back from the west coast last July. It seemed to revive itself as the miles climbed. East winds howling and buffetting the bike. No rain, just sprinkles around Kansas City, Mo. Finally stopped south of Norman, Oklahoma last night and did the last 200 miles today.

Gave the title to Justin and discussed the bike and all the things that needed to be repaired or checked, also the idea of joining the moa and benifits.
So now I wait a few days and get shuttled home via cages... however its sure a nice break in the last Week of winter to ride 1054 miles or so!

Tim Lindstrom
k1100RS is enough
in waxahachie, texas til march 20th...

What a good Uncle!

You'll need to plan a ride with your nephew - west Texas ???

Now, what's up with this home made electric vest? How'd you make it?

Warm bike

I also have a 91lt it has a built in heater. Hate it in July but love it in the spring and fall.

last ride..

howdy!

Yes, you can make your own heated outer vest or coat. All sorts of instructions on the web. However what I have is one long wire that is snaked around inside the vest. Soldered up a zip cord from a floor lamp to the ends of this 120' foot wire. Then solder the bmw plug to the other end of that cord.

Actually what needs to be done is find some multi-strand wire which is covered with insulation. #25 to 27. Multi strand is best if some of the wire breaks there is still a path for the electricity to follow.
cut the wire into managable lengths and use a heavy needle to sew the wire into your garment. Some thot is also needed when looping the wire. No crossing over existing wire. You want the wire to be inside the vest cavity. I have the wire coming out in a pocket where it is soldered to the zip cord. That is tied and taped, hoping the connections will hold and not get pulled out of the vest.

then solder the ends of each 10 foot wire and tape that up or use shrink tube.

I also added another power plug which is attached directly to the battery. The vest doesn't put out millewatts.... 95 watts when sitting at a light. Crack the throttle and the warmer the vest might get.

I never added a control box to adjust how much heat. I also found out the vest works best if I wear light t-shirts. too much insulation will soften the heat.

price of my vest? Electronic liquidation store sells the wire for 3 cents per foot. BMW plug varies and old vest. this last one the cost was just under 10 bucks.

heated grips aren't BMW either... snowmobile grip tape. less than 30 bucks for the kit.

heat... priceless... hehe

Regarding the give away. I have found that IF I give things away that generally I get a better deal on things I need for replacement! I had a yamaha RD350 in my garage that needed to be repaired. sold it for 100 bucks knowing full well that IF the bike was repaired it would sell for 1200 and up.

Couple months later I bought this k1100rs.... 22,600 miles on it and the fellow wanted 3600... When seeing it on craigslist I figured it was gone. finally after seeing it relisted for the third time I called. By that time he had dropped the price to 3500! I had been praying for a newer bike... the LT has over 137,000+ miles on it... Amazed that no one bought that bike in the month it was listed!

Keep giving! eh?

tim lindstrom,
95 bmw k bike

If anyone has another bike they want to give away, I'd be glad to be your nephew!!

That is awesome, what a great way to share the sport!

Back