• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

turn signal switch K100

tinboatcapt

Fixin' ta ride
The "K" is well used and new to me so I put up with a very stiff left turn signal switch for the last few months (of riding). Today I took a good look at it before disassembly. There appears to be a plastic covered piece of metal "stuck" into the switch body. upon discovery of this, I am concerned about dissassembly without first getting parts. It does work now, just very stiffly in cold weather.

Is this part something that can be replaced? Do I need to replace the entire left assembly?

Anyone out there with some hands on experience with this part of the bike?

Thanks in advance.
Jim :)

Turn signal switch K100

Most every "switch" on a K100 is designated as "replace not repair" by BMW. Some of us on a "buget" have tried and won, and some of us have tried and lost (I have done both). One "messed up" switch on a K100 can cause problems you would never believe were related.

If you are concerned about even one switch, it might be time to go through all of them.

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/electrical-tuneup/index.shtml

K bikes need and love to have the electricity at the right place at the right time.

If it were me, I would check the availability and price from your dealer - then make your decision as to what to do next.

Don

Thanks,

I am firmly of the school that believes: "if it works, don't...".
Everything else works fine. I would be really dissapointed if I screwed up other functions.
I will head for Leo's South BMW and see what they can do to replace this.

I strongly endorse Leo's. They have been VERY helpful to me, this Beemer Rookie.

Thanks again,
Jim

I was having the same problem with my right turnsignal switch on my K75. It was fulll of dirt and debris from years of riding. I am in college so spending $200+ for a new switch is not an option. Instead I (carefully) dismantled the handlebar switch assy. (I think there is just one screw that holds it together) and then I was able to gain access to the back of the switch assy where there are about 6 more tiny screws to remove. These screws are really easy to lose so make sure you are very careful. I was using a magnetic screwdriver and that seemed to help a lot. Once you get those out you will have to very carefully pry off the plastc backing to gain access to the actual turnsignal switch. A small blade screwdriver is useful for this. You will have to depress the turnsignal switch in order to get at the tiny screw that holds the signal button to the actual switch. Take off the switch button and you should then be able to clean out the contacts and pivots that are giving you trouble. My guess is they're clogged with dirt like mine were. I sprayed a small amount of carb cleaner on the switch and used Q-tips to clean out any remaining gunk. I then lubricated the switch pivots with some lubricating oil, but silicone lube is probably the best. I put it all back together and now it works great!
Good luck!

Thanks!

I hadn't been able to take it in yet, so the problem still exists.
Your description helps visualize what I need to look for when I disassemble it, or try to describe it to service. In my case, the switch does turn on the signal light. It simply works very hard. What I found when inspecting it, was the button had been replaced by a plastic covered metal lever. The metal thing does not move freely and requires some force to activate the switch. Somewhere the button went missing and a previous owner cobbled a fix.

I anticipate there will be trouble "down the road" if it is not fixed properly. Most likely, trouble of the type you experienced with dirt, grime, dead bugs, etc.

Thanks!
Jim

If it is metal, what are the chances of shaping it to work? if you have a dremel tool, or a bench sander you are in business. just take off the shiny parts, they are the places that are rubbing.

No Dremel Tool...

but plenty of small fine cut files and polishing stones. I had thought of doing this and it remains an option.

Re-reading Tarran Shaw's reply, I believe (without having dissassembled it yet) that all I may need is the button.

I surfed onto a used/new parts seller in UK some time ago. I recall from that website that they had a long list of small wear and vulnerable parts. Any guess where I might find this outlet again?
Jim

I sought...

I bought...I await...

In the mean time, this weekend I'll try to file away the interferences. The weather is supposed to be rain mixed with SN*W on Saturday night.

Thanks everyone for the feedback
Sincerely,
Jim

call these guys about parts avail
614-837-1160
http://www.re-psycle.com/

a friend of mine turned me on to them and I have been very happy with the service

Geoff - the guy you will probably deal with - is service oriented and friendly and super knowledgeable

if your trouble is the "paddle" the lever that is connected to the acutal switch or whatever they used to replace the "paddle" - I just got two in the mail the other day

if your trouble is the actual switch - call these guys and see if they have them

my $0.02 worth

Thanks...

...for the heads up on Re-psycle. I did order (and recieve) a pair of "paddles" from Motobins.
Thanks again. I am sure to need the services of Re-psycle in the future.
Jim

Back