• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mapping Software

D

DZIMBRIC

I want to add mapping software to my PDA and was wondering if anyone has experience with the DeLorne or Microsoft products. The new StreetPlus at +1500 is out of my price league.
With DeLorne you can add a GPS antennae for $250 but you have to load your own maps.

I have Microsoft's Streets & Trips program It is a great program, but the pocket maps only work on handhelds using Microsofts operating system (I know, that is so unlike Microsoft to be so propietary:p) . Palm users like me are SOL. Still a great program though.

dzimbric said:
I want to add mapping software to my PDA and was wondering if anyone has experience with the DeLorne or Microsoft products. The new StreetPlus at +1500 is out of my price league.
With DeLorne you can add a GPS antennae for $250 but you have to load your own maps.

I used Delorme's Street Atlas for several years. I think it's great. It interfaced with my Garmin, and I could save off road routes, plan off road routes, and in my motorhome, I could run the SA in real time and track with my Mac and it's 14" screen. They're one of the major players.
Now that I've got a GPS with map downloading capapbilities, (GPS MAP76S) I've switched to the MapSource software, but I still use the SA to do trip planning.
FWIW, the Earthmate comes bundled with GPS mapping software. Delorme

I use Microsoft streets & trips for trip planning. I am also a Microsoft Pocket PC user so Pocket Streets interfaces pretty flawlessly. One thing that is pretty cool is that you can select a portion of a map from your PC by left clicking then pulling out to the desired map size. Then right click & select ÔÇ£send to Pocket StreetsÔÇØ then it automatically is sent to your Pocket PC via Active Sync. You must have Pocket Streets installed on your Pocket PC for this to work.

I am not sure if Streets & Trips interfaces with a GPS unit or not. I hope it does. I am planning my buying a GPS system this summer.

I must also let you all know that I work for Microsoft. So using a Palm system or other mapping software would be a little like singing the other teams fight song at a football game.

So take my biased advice for what it is worth & with a grain of salt.

Grey Matter said:
I am not sure if Streets & Trips interfaces with a GPS unit or not. I hope it does. I am planning my buying a GPS system this summer.

Actually I have three copied of Microsoft Streets and Trips, 2002, 2003, and 2004. They work fairly well, and I am really happy with them, except for their interface with a GPS.

Yes, one can attach a GPS to get your location at that moment in time, but if you want to transfer in a route... well there is no way other then redrawing it in the GPS software.

BradfordBenn said:
Actually I have three copied of Microsoft Streets and Trips, 2002, 2003, and 2004. They work fairly well, and I am really happy with them, except for their interface with a GPS.

Yes, one can attach a GPS to get your location at that moment in time, but if you want to transfer in a route... well there is no way other then redrawing it in the GPS software.

Exactly! Also why I am looking for an out of date, read cheap, copy of the MetroGuide software for my Garmin. Anyone have a copy they would like to sell cheap? Not the latest V5, V2 would be fine.

Jim :brow

Since getting TripMaker in 1995, I've tried a bunch of them.

TripMaker

Map & Go

Road Trips -- Door to Door

Streets & Trips

And as of late, the Map Source City Navigator software.

Streets & Trips is my favorite, and the only one I've bothered to update.

Darn ... looking at that list, I feel inexplicably old. :dunno

RickM said:
Since getting TripMaker in 1995, I've tried a bunch of them.

TripMaker

Map & Go

Road Trips -- Door to Door

Streets & Trips

And as of late, the Map Source City Navigator software.

Streets & Trips is my favorite, and the only one I've bothered to update.

Darn ... looking at that list, I feel inexplicably old. :dunno

How do you use Streets and Trips to upload to your Garmin GPS? Or am I thinking of different software?

Jim asked:

How do you use Streets and Trips to upload to your Garmin GPS?

I don't.

I so dislike the Garmin Mapsource software that I'll use S & T to plan the route on the computer (i.e., the "big picture"), and will then look up the street address on the SP III and let it route waypoint to waypoint (for turn by turn details).

Put another way, I'm one of those riders who routinely sets out in the general direction of where he thinks he is going, and adjusts along the way to suit himself ... ;)

IOW, I'm as likely as not to look at the GPS and say, "Shut up, Katheryn, I'm turning here no matter what you say."

Rick (I named the SP III after a bossy female I know) in AL :D

RickM said:
Jim asked:

I don't.

I so dislike the Garmin Mapsource software that I'll use S & T to plan the route on the computer (i.e., the "big picture"), and will then look up the street address on the SP III and let it route waypoint to waypoint (for turn by turn details).

Put another way, I'm one of those riders who routinely sets out in the general direction of where he thinks he is going, and adjusts along the way to suit himself ... ;)

IOW, I'm as likely as not to look at the GPS and say, "Shut up, Katheryn, I'm turning here no matter what you say."

Rick (I named the SP III after a bossy female I know) in AL :D

That makes sense! I have been doing that, but without the mapping software in the Garmin, it takes me out into the middle of nowhere.

JimVonBaden said:
That makes sense! I have been doing that, but without the mapping software in the Garmin, it takes me out into the middle of nowhere.

But if you don't know where you are, how do you know you're in the middle ! :rofl

I've always liked what Daniel Boone said when asked if he'd ever gotten lost

"I've never been lost, but at times I've been a might bewildered"!

RM

I still haven't found a reasonably priced, or free, copy ofthe Map Source, or City Guide, software. I don't need new, just useable even if it is a few versions old. So is my GPS! :D

Jim:brow

Poor mans GPS

JimVonBaden said:
I still haven't found a reasonably priced, or free, copy ofthe Map Source, or City Guide, software. I don't need new, just useable even if it is a few versions old. So is my GPS! :D

Jim:brow

My method is to lead until I get kinda lost, you see I have never been really lost, then pull over and ask Bradfordbenn, where the heck are we and how do we get there? He punches the magic buttons on his fancy GPS and poof We are no longer lost.

The only drawback to this system is having to wait for the Slowpoke. At least he will probally not bring the 650GS on most trips after Trackday.

Ask Bradford he's got more old software than most people have new.

Re: Hmmm look for software or go ride?

BradfordBenn said:
Let me see what I can find. It is raining here :(

Thanks Bradford! By the way, have you replaced your ears yet?

PS If you find something, PM me and I'll work out a price and give you my address.

Re: Re: Hmmm look for software or go ride?

JimVonBaden said:
Thanks Bradford! By the way, have you replaced your ears yet?

PS If you find something, PM me and I'll work out a price and give you my address.

I have replaced them. Check out the track day results post. Back to searching for software....

Where did you purchase them? I was thinking about a pair of bunny ears and a tail for a lady friend of mine!:D

Back