• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200GS Which crash bars

Which crash bar is preferred fro a R1200GS

• BMW

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Touratech

• SW Moto

• Hepco & Becker

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Wunderlich

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
B

Brodyku

I am finding several options and of course quite a few opinions, so I thought I would post the question for additional information.

Brands I know of:

BMW
Touratech
SW Moto
Hepco & Becker
Wunderlich

Things I have heard/know.

BMW may interfere with a head protector if you install one.
Touratech may need to be removed for valve adjustment (10 extra minutes)

Questions I have:

Which are the best and why? i.e. material, protection, cost,..etc

Do I really need head protectors if I install SW, HB, or Touratech? Side and top along with a bike roll over seems to protect the entire head till handle bars hit.

Will the bar if it bends a little drive the head protector into the head defeating the purpose?

I love Touratech because they over engineer everything but the cost of the SW and HB seem to quite a bit cheaper is there a good enough reason to pony up for one of my favorite companies (I dig the GPS mount from them that I have)

Thanks
Brody

R1200 GS Bars

I bought the Hepco & Becker bars from the dealer for $250-300, I don't recall the exact amount. They went on very easily after I bought a good set of Snap On Metric hex sockets to use when you remove the BMW torx head bolts. They look great, interfere with nothing and provide me with a little peace of mind in the event something bad happens. The bars sold by Wunderlich are about the same price $250 but I did'nt think they looked as good.

I put the Touratech bars on my 07 GS. Installation was very easy, fit and finish are top notch. I chose not to put on the head cover gaurds, seems redundant to me. Thankfully I have not tested the crash ability of the bars. Yet.

On ADVRider, the H&B bars (same as Wonderlich) are the number one favorite.

I have them and personally know dozens who also have them. I know three who have crashed on them with no head damage, and saw only one who crashed and had head damage. He was doing 50mph as his bike slid into a curb after a highside. Nothing would have saved it.

DSCN7821.jpg

Mine are 2 years, and 42K miles old, and still look good!

+ no need to remove them for service!

Jim :brow

Back