• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell Us of 2008 Trip Plans

More Frank Lloyd Wright and Baseball

This will be year 4 of this particular Odyssey. From the PNW across to OK City and Dallas then up through KC city and St. Louis to DC. Down the BRP to Birmingham, then out to the coast and South to Key West. Back West along the Gulf Coast, then following the Mexican border and at some point head North to Vegas for Barrett-Jacksons inaugural fall event. If its the GS not the RT then I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't high tail to the Copper Canyon and Baja. Should fill out September and October nicely.

planning (a LOT of planning) on a trip to Belize for an extended period...lived in Mex back in the 70's, and will check on some friends there too...revitalizing a 1988 100GS for the trip- bought last year with about 1200 miles on it (long story from the first owner), and have a few issues to solve...I like being behind something, since I ride with a brain bucket. Trying to solve how to get there rather than by road-5 days to and 5 days from. Currently checking into boat shipping (plane cost toooo much), but comin up empty so far. As I said, lots of plans that hopefully will come together by dec 08. Hopefully I can do some outfitting at the WY rally.
See ya'll there!

Southern Comfort?

In early May, I'm shipping myself and my R1200GS to NC. Will ride back to Berkeley, CA from there, via the Natchez Trace, other garden spots of the South, and then back through Arkansas, etc. Planning on a month to do this. My idea of roughing it is a motel which lacks a color TV.
Looking for ideas on good roads in the areas I'll be travelling.
cheers,;)

Reading through all these plans... something is bothering me. I had an epic journey last year, but I can't seem to make the stars align for another one, this year. By this time last year, my destination was already pretty much set. Hmm. I need to win the lottery and quit my job.

So far, I'm planning on the Sturgis, MI "Mini Rally" as my first (first weekend in May), the RA rally, and probably some trips into PA, I imagine. Who knows, maybe I'll come up with something good, yet. :)

Hey there RedRider / Statdawg

Nice seeing you here Red. I never got to thank you for providing guidance/tips/bridge selection/restaurant etc., when riding through Montreal on my way to 2006 National at VT.

On my way back through Montreal, my GPS malfunctioned, man, reading those french signs and talking to some people at late hours of the night was quite interesting.

I quickly learned Nord, Sud, Ouest, and that helped me through general direction or selecting my turns :blah :blah

Thanks.:thumb

Statdawg, thanks for pointers on the PA/NY routes. I never came that way back, but next time if I'm heading that way, I know who to IM. :thumb

[Sorry, after posting, I realised I was hijacking the thread. ]

First ("official") Iron Butt and Blue Ridge Parkway

I'm waiting for the frost heaves (and the snow!) to get off my Vermont roads so I can get ready for the Minuteman 100 in June.

I'm hoping I can coax my 1985 k100rt thru my first official Iron Butt ride. I've done the mileage before on previous bikes, but never in an official format/rally like this. I'm looking forward to meeting some great people and doing a great big lap around New England!

Two weeks after that... a more relaxed week of riding from Vermont to Virginia and through the Blue Ridge Parkway....no specific route yet, any suggestions greatly appreciated! I'll have 2 days to get from Vermont to Richmond VA to pick up my wife, then 5 more days of exploring.....if anyone has spent some time riding thru this area, I'd love to learn more!

Best wishes for a safe, wonderful riding season to everyone! Think Spring!

Summer Journeys

First is a 2 week trip with my wife and 2 other couples from south of Syracuse to Asheville, then Charleston and back home via the coast to Pa. Amish country. Then in July with my daughter (on our last "big ride" before she goes to college in September) to Alexandria Va./D.C. and then slowly make our way home. A trip to the Inn at Mercersburg for a few days of R and R and then some time in New Hope, PA. Of course a healthy serving of day trips. Can't wait as I watch it snow outside.

Indiana --------------- NM, AZ, UT

If it drys out a little my wife and I are going to ride out to Monument valley then head North through Utah. Thought we would spend a night at Gualdings at Monument valley then work our way North spend the Night some were around Capital Reef then head North through the desert on UT 24 then take 191 north to Vernal then slowly head home.

Hope this post is a good place to ask the question. NM, AZ, CO and UT I have planned out I think (Things seem to change). My question is Kansas. The bride and I took US 36 from IL to Colorado last year and enjoyed 36 through KS. This year I was thinking about Picking up US 54 in Missouri and riding through till Liberal KS. Does anyone have any recommendations about this route or another. Maybe a perfered place to stay around Fort Scott on the East end of KS and around Liberal on the West end.

Thanks for any help you can think of

In May I'll be riding to Omaha to meet friends, From there we'll ride to Blowing Rock, NC for a Brit bike ride.
In August I'll be riding from home, up the great river road to Wisconsin; across the northern tier of states to Washington to join some friends on a three day coastal ride; then south to California to visit friends in Tahoe; further south to visit my three sons (?) in Southern Cal; head for home via Austin TX where I'll visit my elderly Sis. Weather and the like will dictate routes taken as I have no plan other than following the front wheel where it wants me to go.:bikes :dance

April-a little thing called Spring Training Camp but together by Don Norwood, et al. from the www.bmwlt.com forum.

May- another trip to Ironhorse www.ironhorsenc.com with a group of friends.
- also the Chicken Rally-Huntsville, AL

June- 2 weeks with girlfriend touring the Black Hills, SD then west to Beartooth hwy. to Yellowstone and Tetons.

July-continue w/o girlfriend to B.C., AB, Lunatic Fringe Rally in High River, AB then
-BMWMOA Gillette

panning to head to califorina for a couple ironbutt runs to ride my new 1200ST and hit some great open spaces roads... then in late June i am planning to ride from Colorado to Goose Bay, Labrador and a couple other remote utility roads in Labrador...

So Kbasa keep an eye out might have to check out a good resturant in you area so watch out for a UFO :D

Seattle to Yosemite and Back

Our tour takes place right before school gets out. Four of us start out in Seattle on a Saturday and head down to Crater Lake via the back roads. After Crater Lake we head towards 395 and make our way into Reno for a little gambling, a little drinking and a little carousing. From Reno we head towards Mono Lake with stops at the ghost town of Bodie and a couple of natural hot springs. Providing the snow has cleared we take Tioga Pass the back way into Yosemite, otherwise we head back north on 395 and take Sonora Pass into the town of Sonora and down 49 into Yosemite. From Yosemite we head up 49 through Sacramento, and into Calistoga via Winters. From Calistoga we head to my cabin he Russian River for a couple of well needed down days. From there we head over to Highway 1 and make our way up the coast into Crescent City and soon into Gold Beach, Oregon. From Gold Beach we head to Astoria, OR and then the short trip back up to Seattle.

I riding up from New Orleans to Indy for the MotoGP in September with a stop in Birmingham to check out the Barber Museum!

Doing the national. From North Texas through the Rockies, touching Yellowstone, on to Gillette and back home via the plains will be around 3,000 miles on my old K. :thumb

I'll likely be in Sipapu, NM again this year in September - this time bringing my wife along. :hug

Prudoe Bay from Phoenix. Gonna leave sometime in the second half of May.

Then I can color in some more of my Avatar :dance

Maybe the 49'er rally, and Red Rock Rend. Two weeks to travel to Gillette, meeting my brother and his son for a 4 day ride following, then to Top o'Rockies.

Iron Butt National in Tulsa sometime in Aug, and a IB ride Border to Border in Sept. Maybe the LOE the first weekend in Oct, and the 100,000 ft ride in Colorado the first part of August.

Heidi has some additional rides planned

bob

Summer 08 trip

I am planning a ride to see my son in Breckenridge CO. I will start in Milwaukee, WI. Most of the trip is freeway and I will be riding a F650CS. No Ironbutt run for this guy! The half way point is Lincoln NE. I am thinking of having the trip coincide with one of the Rocky Mountain Rallies. Maybe the one in August. Really haven't decided on when yet.

My son is the one on the left.

Attachments

• CIMG0184.jpg
    CIMG0184.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 34
08 Ride

My big ride is Coast to Coast . I will leave Oregon last week of May and ride to Key West. I am anxious to get with it , the GT should turn over 100 K on the way back . The adventure will be a 3 week ordeal .

Back