• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100 Cs??

W

wbiery

I just purchased another airhead, the owner claims that it was an R100CS. The title hwever does not reflect the "CS". It doesn't matter very much to me as I do like the bike but I did read that the CS makes it "more desireable". It is a 1982. I have read that some people have serial numbers in such a range as to indicate it was a CS. Does anyone have any idea how I can tell exactly what model I have? Maybe a website where I can look up serial number ranges and their model numbers?

Thanks very much,

Jinx

Probably just a R100 which is the same in every aspect (power, dual disc, 40mm Bing etc) as the CS except for the name. Do not mistake the R100/7 with the latter R100. You could probably call a dealer and give then the last 7 digits of the vin.

Also depending on the state I have had R100RS's from the 70's and the title just said R100 but the vins were correct for the RS. If you want to post you last 7 digits I could look on the microfiche here and see. Or I believe that there was a online site from the ETK that you could run the vins but I have been away from the BMW's for quite awhile and would not know where to look.

John

I just purchased another airhead, the owner claims that it was an R100CS. The title hwever does not reflect the "CS". It doesn't matter very much to me as I do like the bike but I did read that the CS makes it "more desireable". It is a 1982. I have read that some people have serial numbers in such a range as to indicate it was a CS. Does anyone have any idea how I can tell exactly what model I have? Maybe a website where I can look up serial number ranges and their model numbers?

Thanks very much,

Jinx

According to Ian Falloon's book, R100CS production for the US was 4 in 1982...for other markets, there were 1276 produced. The VIN numbers range from 6188164 to 6188170 for the 1982 and 1983 runs...there were 3 US bikes in 1983.

Thanks

The guy thought it was a cs as far back as 92 I have his records of service from Mortons and captial cycle with it written up as a R100CS The vin is comming up R100T it does not look like a T any more . The books I have show the compression higher for the CS 9/1 compared to R100 8/1 5hp. difference. color is right . I am going to clean it up fix some things and ride her. All your imput was helpful.

IF it's a CS, the color will be "classic black," i.e. gold metalflake black.

Unless it's an '84 "last edition" of course.

If that's not the color, it's not a CS.

If it's been repainted to something else, all supposed CS "value" is gone.

I'm told that VINs don't necessarily indicate a proper CS, especially for the LE bikes. Apparently, the bikes were primarily built as R100s and bodywork was added to them when they got to the US.

I also have an 82 that was supposed to be a CS. It had the S fairing, removed by the original ownerand replaced with a Luftmeister fairong and wider bars. It has drum rear brake and the side covers and seat fairing badge said only "R100". Color Avis Black with red and white pin stripes, Snowflake wheels. On the VIN number lists it shows up as an R100US.

I have a PDF copy of the 1982 BMW brochure. It shows no CS. But it shows the R100 in both the bare bike and S fairing variations.

Yours may be the same.

Rod

metallic black?

in Mick Walkers book BMW Twins restoration cs from 82-84 colors are listed as dark blue back hells silver smoked red. curiouser and curiouser.

jinx

Yes, those colors are listed in ETK, although the silver applies only to "exclusiv sport."

Nevertheless, only CS sidecover stickers available are gold (last edition not available).

A USA dealer adding a fairing did not create a CS, and it should be obvious that R100 sidecover decals indicate not a CS as well. Clearly there was never a black with red/white pinstripes CS

Here are respectively scans from 1981 and 1984 USA brochures--note the wheel change.

IMHO best indicator of a true CS is a "506" paint code sticker on the rear fender (classic black)

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 370
I dusted off my BMW microfiche and looked up the VINs for the 1982 R100CS US models:

6188163-6188163 08.81
6188164-6188164 10.81
6188165-6188166 06.82

6188167-6188167 09.82
6188168-6188168 10.82

Three R100 CS models were built to US specification for the 1982 model year (09.81-08.82).
If your bike isn't one of the above numbers, I suggest you contact Mobile Tradition for confirmation of the mm/dd/yy of manufacture, model, delivery destination, etc.

Just checked one that is on Ebay Australia, and it comes up as genuine R100CS, 10/81 as described. Vin 6136769.
Very nice bike!!:thumb
That checker works!! Just did my GSPD.

Last Edition Stickers

I know a guy that can hook you up with some LE stickers. :deal

I know this is an old post, but do you know if the guy still has Last Edition stickers? I would need both CS and RS or even just the Last Edition part if they came in two parts.
Thanks
Bruce Darling
Fleadip@msn.com

I'm told that VINs don't necessarily indicate a proper CS, especially for the LE bikes. Apparently, the bikes were primarily built as R100s and bodywork was added to them when they got to the US.

My '84 R100 (made August, 83), 617xxxx, was sold in CA as a CS, entered as such in the owners manual. Polaris silver with dark blue pinstripes, dual front discs, matching S fairing with voltmeter and clock, oil cooler. R 100 in dark blue on the side covers. Done at the factory or by dealer, who knows. I saw one exactly like it at the rally some years back, so I'm inclined to think it came that way from the factory. Either way, it's a beautiful machine and we've been riding together for 20 years.

My '84 R100 was sold as a CS (I was the second owner). It had CS on the original sales documents; I don't remember if it was on the title. It was not a CS according to the VIN.

My '84 R100 was sold as a CS (I was the second owner). It had CS on the original sales documents; I don't remember if it was on the title. It was not a CS according to the VIN.

Per my vin#, mine is an R100T. I've been told that BMW purged their inventory of twin shock parts as they neared the end of production in '84. Whether the factory just gave the dealers these bikes or whether they were ordered by dealers, or both, is unclear. As mentioned, i saw another exactly like mine which suggests a factory model. I was told by then that all R100's came inTO the US with dual brakes, engine setup the same, same h.p. Etc. I love my bike. It runs smooth and strong, and it looks great. A classic look from BMW

I had a friend in 83 who purchased a CS new. I remember him telling me that it was special. But, I had no clue how special and rare it was. The bike was stock from the dealer. It was quite a bit faster then my R100. I guess it is possible that the dealer made modifications to it.

R100cs

It is my understanding that the demand for the CS in the USA was so great that dealers converted R100T to CS by adding a few things to make them look like . They even issued certificates showing they were signed by the dealer . The certificates i saw were all hand written and not something i would think that BMW would have done at factory .
Dealers just ordered more of the bikes either fitted with S fairing and made up the certificates . The Vin # don't lie , the best way is to ask BMW Archives they will tell you exactly what you have with that letter in hand then you have something .
The dollar made more CS appear in USA than were made.
buyers beware. I have never seen a CS with the correct serial numbers maybe they are out there I don't know but would love for someone the show one.

Back