• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Loss of Hard Bag

Cant find fix

Kantuckid - I looked for the fix on the 1150 R site with a "hard bag" search and found hundreds of posts but not the right one. Could you give a little more information? Thanks, BMorleyW

Yup dats the fix I wuz talkin bout , now, n e body had "issues " w/R1200r bag mounts ??? just lookin for pre-emptive 411 be4r I go inter-galactic w/the new scoot ??? this new roadster iz soo outa dis werld I cain't help but going into Hypr-drive !!! :dance

lost bag potential

After reading about the "pin fix", I did it last year to my bike. Very easy, took less than an hour, and the locking safety pins were at Lowes, I believe, for around 3.00 each. Would encourage all concerned to consider this enhancement.:blah :blah :blah

A number of years ago it happened to my right system bag on my R1150R. I was entering a highway, went over a bumpy patch at 60-ish MPH, and happened to see it bouncing along behind me in my rear view mirror. The bag never opened and, other than nasty scratches, the bag was in perfect operating condition. Those system bags are pretty sturdy (unlike the OEM Vario 12GS bags, DAMHIK...). I believe the fault was mine. I was new to the bike and the bags, and while I can't be sure, I suspect I didn't have it properly secured with the lower front tab or latch. Its an easy thing to miss if you're not familiar with it.

BTW, I think the R1150R's system bags are the same as the R1150RT. Could be wrong, though. If so, you might want to check to see if you've got that lower latch secure. And don't feel too bad. As you can tell from the responses, it happens. I suspect its usually pilot error, but sometimes not.

The left case on my R1100RS 'jumped off' one day at speed of a somewhat bumpy road (thats any road in Ontario :cry). Luckily a friend riding behind stopped to retrieve it.

Could not figure out how it happened, my only conclusion being that the bag latches were not fully secured even though it appeared they were. Now I give the bags a lift and pull check after refitting them.

As an aside, I have the shiny bag lids and it turns out they are not painted but come that way out of the mould!

I will say it one more time-you get the pins at Home Depot, not Lowe's! I have Lowe's available to me and not the other, so that's where I looked first and they did not have a hardware box with the clips. Maybe the two where I went were an exception, but if you have a choice, go to Home Depot first and save some gas!

I'm one of the Duh Brothers!!

I lost one of my System Cases last year. I had removed the cases to wash the bike (that'll teach me...) and when I put the cases back on, I must not have correctly lined up the lower mounting tab / ears. I left the house, headed up Highway 9 and when I arrived in San Jose, my left case was missing!! Dang. I went back over Highway 9 to try to find it but no luck.
I posted a "missing bag" report and someone said that they'd seen one at the Hwy 9 / Skyline intersection parking lot. When I got back up there the next day, nothing to be found.

I rode without for a year and then bought a pair (with City lids, not the touring lids I had before) off of the Flea Market portion of this site.

The up-side was that for a while I rode with just a right-side case and the left side mounting rail has a nice place to thread your helmet strap through when you leave the bike. Not totally secure but better than just hanging it off of the foot peg.

Now I ride with a Touring Case on the right (my lunch box fits perfectly inside) and with a City Case on the left. It's not symetrical but it's a working compromise for me. Heck, I don't ride a Harley so I'm not all that concerned with looks or what others think anyway.

While I was traveling through a distant galaxie on my 1150r ,I went to latch the bag felt a sickening twang, dang!!! the tongue that latches the bag "failed to live up to its design potential" ..It broke off !!! w/ no way to latch the bag I remembered a thread from this forum about "saftey pining " the bags!!!! ya take a 1/4" drill & go through the lower bag ear & mount while its mounted on the bike then ya poot a 1/4" pin or bolt through & viola the bag is again secured Fortunately a mo-home type had a cordless drill in his rig n borrowed it to me ...I continued my inter-stellar voyage secure knowing that latch woud offend me no more !!!
ps if ya drill a 1/4" hole in the ribbing on the upper bag hook mount thingy it's a good place to store yer saftey pins when in the hanger:thumb

I lost a bag once. never recovered it. I got a replacment via the MOA flea market and then found the tip above.
I did the same except I bought a couple 1/4" hitch pins from Tractor supply. They kind of look like giant diaper pins.

Back