Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Loss of Hard Bag

Question Loss of Hard Bag

I didn't see it on any of the threads and perhaps it's never happened before, but has anyone ever lost a hard bag? After several hours on a 75 mile an hour freeway with very gusty winds I noticed that I had lost the right hard bag on my 2004 R1150 RT. Sad to say that I never noticed it in my mirror. Has this ever happened to anyone before? I remember checking that it was on properly and it was locked because you can't remove the key otherwise. I ordered another one today to the tune of $417, and of course I also lost my BMW battery charger and case lining when I lost the bag The reason I'm asking is to try to find out if it was a once in a life time kind of thing or if there is an additional security strap or something to provide added security. Thanks

I've heard of it happening..........

I know one guy that lost one that was full and locked.

Believe it or not.... some motorist found it still intact/locked along side the road....

and placed an ad in the newspapers lost & found section and the guy got it back.

I guess we need to start putting luggage tags on our side cases.

jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

Old SchooL BMW's remembered!

This was a regular occurance in the older days of BMW, dropping bags at speed. Many strapped their bags on and you still see this today on some 70's, etc Beemers. I had yet to hear a much newer BMW having this issue, so you're a first for me. I still have my R100/7 with original bags and one of mine passed me on the freeway one day, long ago. I looked over in shock as I realized its my saddlebag, sliding so gracefully alongside me at 70mph! It made quite a noise as it scraped the pavement at speed. It did not tumble, just slide along on its lid. Hardly any worse for the wear, its still on my bike with some mods by me to keep it from happening again. I bolted mine on, using a carriage bolt and wing nut arrangement, all hidden from view of course. You may find a similar solution, with some hard looking around the bag parts to see where a bolt could go. Mine come off simply by removing the wing nut from the innards of the bag(s) and unlocking the latches, that have remained in place. The latches are not trustworthy, as you may know now Mine bags have been this way for 20+ years now, without fail. Randy13233

Yes it does

BMW bags and other brands do also. I have had two tail trunks fall off. Now I check the bags every time I get on and off the bike.

Becky

I have heard of a couple of instances of this. And even if it happened only once, it really stinks when it happens to you.

I tape a business card to the outside of the bag, on the side closest to the bike, using clear packing tape to secure it. I also put a card inside each case. Finally, I always use a bungee net across my rear seat hooked into my bungee buddies which are on the top of each case. I originally did it to have a means to secure any unplanned purchases; the security blanket of catching a loose case is a bonus.
    Maria 2009 F650GS
    www.bmwbmw.org

belquar
    Check out this ride report for a cool story about a lost system case. Maybe you will be so lucky.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....&highlight=bag

I lost mine one time from my R11RS and a clever Border Patrol officer found me by calling HOME on my cell phone which had been inside; )

I was SO GLAD to hear him!!

Now I have my card taped inside each case just in case.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

RK Ryder
    It hasn't happened to me but I have heard of this. Because of this, I have a typed note on each pannier, protected by tape, out of general view unless the bag is off the bike. If you have found my case, please call 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx, collect if need be. I may be riding and unable to hear my phone. Please leave a message with your name & telephone #. I am
    on a motorcycle trip and this case only contains basic clothes, toiletries and dirty laundry. I need to pickup the case and retrieve these items to continue my trip. Thank you. ........Paul
    Hope that I never need this notes.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Rally Rat
    I lost a trunk bag from my K1200RS (aftermarket) while doing 75, didn't notice it until I got off the highway and saw my shadow in the "Jersey barrier" along the side of the road. My profile wasn't right, so I stopped to look, and sure enough, the bag was gone. I went back and found it about 15 miles back, smashed. I had a cooler type lunch box in it that I retrieved, but left the trunk, as the lock mechanism was smashed and I couldn't fasten it to the bike. The worst thing about it was my sandwich was smashed by my water bottle!

I try to pull my side bags off the mounts every time I stop, figuring if I can't yank them off, they shouldn't fall off. Don't have to worry about the LT bags! Maybe you should get an LT...........

Gopheride
    While riding in Vt last summer,I was pulled over by a friendly Trooper and informed that one of my hard cases had come off and bounced along the side of the road.I recovered the bag with scratches only.
    Checking with the local dealer I found that this had occured to other riders but considered more "rider error" than "design malfunction".
    In all fairness, I,ve owned four different BMW's in the last 20yrs and I never had a problem with "Wandering Cases".

Hard Cases? Which Ones?

I probably missed it..but are you folks talking about the aluminum, so called Adventure, boxes coming off? If yes, what failed? Like ones in photo.

Thanks..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Phil
    ========
    "In Wallowas"
    ========
    2007 R1200GS Adventure

I lost a Craven Golden Arrow from one of my R60/2s due to Craven's deplorable mounting system. I retraced my route and could not find it. They are very hard to replace.

Discussed some here:

http://motos.home.att.net/craven.htm
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2015 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

Quote Originally Posted by BMorleyW View Post
    Has this ever happened to anyone before? I remember checking that it was on properly and it was locked because you can't remove the key otherwise.
    If it makes you feel any better, I've managed to lose 2 bags! It is possible to remove the key if you close the case but leave the carrying handle up. At that point the lid is locked but the case itself is just hanging there ready to bounce off. I've been known to be a little absent minded and have caught myself doing this from time to time. I think I'm lucky to have only lost 2! Stupid me never thought of putting my name on the outside of the case. I'm going to do that tonight... if I remember.

Talking That was me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Belquar View Post
    Check out this ride report for a cool story about a lost system case. Maybe you will be so lucky.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....&highlight=bag
    It was a truly amazing act of kindness and luck for me to get my case back! I will never forget it or that trip.

That Helps

Thanks everyone. I appreciate hearing about this. One of the things it did do is to reinforce that it surely was my own fault and not that of the bike or bag . A great idea to put identification on the bag - sure wish I would have thought of that before. From now on, I'll be giving each bag a good hard wrestle before leaving and have id with cell phone taped to the motorcycle side of the bag. At least the dealer could get me a replacement within the week. BMorleyW