• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lifetime membership

According to the form located on our membership page, a lifetime membership is $500 for the primary member and $170 for an associate member.

Soon to go the way of the buffalo.

According to the form located on our membership page, a lifetime membership is $500 for the primary member and $170 for an associate member.

Meaning Lifetime Members will be rounded up and put inside barbed wire fences? :laugh

My Question

The lifetime menber was to be granted for longvity. For a number of years of contnuous membership and age 75. Since I am at 33 years and 68 years old, paying for a lifetime membeship doesn't mak sense. Just staying current till 75 was my plan. Question!!! Did this go down with the rest of the Life time Plan?

Harold Short Retired Old Guy

How soon is Soon?

Curious, how much does a lifetime membership cost?
IIRC, mine cost US$350, in 1998. I'm WAY past break-even. I signed up for lifetime when I was living in France and the postage would have been expensive if I simply renewed the standard annual membership. I shoulda done it twenty years before I did. Then I'd REALLY have gotten a DEAL.

Is Lifetime Membership a good buy?

OK, let's do the math. I for one, am 50 now and soon to be 51, and my current tenure of membership runs out 9/30/2009. If a 5 yr. membership is $125, and a lifetime one is $500, I'd be 70 before I break-even.

So well under 50 years if age, a lifetime membership purchase makes sense (should have done so when I joined in '81) but is that worth it, now?

Limited Lifetime?

Is there a limit to "Lifetime"? I'm 26 and thinking about doing it before it disappears. How long would the "Lifetime" last?

Thanks.

The skinnny.

All,
Here's the official statement: http://www.bmwmoa.org/features/news_lifetime_mem.htm

You have until 1 May to get your Lifetime membership for $500. The honorary Lifetime memberships granted due to longevity are not affected by this change and will continue to be offered. When you do the math trying to figure out if this makes sense for you, plan for the fact that the membership dues - like everything else - will have to go up in the future. Flash's story proves the point of why new sales are being discontinued.

OK, let's do the math. I for one, am 50 now and soon to be 51, and my current tenure of membership runs out 9/30/2009. If a 5 yr. membership is $125, and a lifetime one is $500, I'd be 70 before I break-even.

So well under 50 years if age, a lifetime membership purchase makes sense (should have done so when I joined in '81) but is that worth it, now?

If you do the true math, figuring the alternative rate of return on the $500 invested for the rest of your lifetime, and take the average length of a lifetime membership, the moa actually comes out ahead if you use a long term average for the interest rate collected on the $500 while invested by the moa. Remember that $500 collects compound interest as the annual fee is subtracted each year.

in doing the analysis . . .

what are the expected rates going to be for the 5 year membership in the near future?

currently the break is at 20 years with 5 years at $125 and the lifetime is $500.

If the 5 year is going to increase as the lifetime goes away . . . it will change the break-even point used for a decision.

what are the expected rates going to be for the 5 year membership in the near future?

currently the break is at 20 years with 5 years at $125 and the lifetime is $500.

If the 5 year is going to increase as the lifetime goes away . . . it will change the break-even point used for a decision.

The BMW MOA has seen it's costs increase at about a 3% annual compound rate. Periodically this has to be reflected in increased membership dues. As the individual membership rate increases, the multi-year memberships will have to at about the same percentage.

The BMW MOA has seen it's costs increase at about a 3% annual compound rate. Periodically this has to be reflected in increased membership dues. As the individual membership rate increases, the multi-year memberships will have to at about the same percentage.

;) If we as a group were to drink more beer at the beer garden, would that help to keep the yearly rate from going up. If yes I will do my part. :beer :drink

Is there a limit to "Lifetime"? I'm 26 and thinking about doing it before it disappears. How long would the "Lifetime" last?
Consult the actuarial tables that the IRS uses to determine the rate you need to withdraw from your IRA or 401k. (Good luck finding them.)

Back