• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any Word on Location of 2009 Rally

wasn't it about this time last year that we found out about Gillette? We were quite disappointed that circumstances caused us to miss this year even though we will be in the neighborhood..... one month out of sync. So, knowing what next year could bring will have to do for now. -Bob

2006= Vermont
2007=Wisconsin
2008=Wyoming

I'm betting on west coast and then it will work it's way back East again. But that is pure speculation (well 99 and 44/100ths %pure anyway).

According to the response to one of my posts several weeks ago, the desired locations for the next several rallies have been chosen with details still being worked out.

It is to the advantage of the MOA to hold off announcing the location until this year's rally. If the location for the 2009 rally is announced early and perceived as better than Gillette, people might elect to skip the rally this year and plan on going next year. If the 2009 rally is perceived as a bad location (and some people always do), there will be additional months of griping an complaining about the location.

Distance and lodging determine whether I will attend or not. I can work around everything else.

Actually the hold on the announcement is no longer true (thank God). The Gillette rally was announced before last year's rally. From the rotation schedule of rally locations, I thought it was going to be in the South East.

Brian

To far away,hope it will be close to Eastern Canada:ca :newtoy

How about Cape Breton, NS!!!

I bet that would set new attendance records.

Actually the hold on the announcement is no longer true (thank God). The Gillette rally was announced before last year's rally. From the rotation schedule of rally locations, I thought it was going to be in the South East.

Brian

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

IIRC, it is announced sometime in April.
My guess is East Central

Depends on what you consider "East Central". But it will be in Zone IV.

bmwmoa_rally_zone_map.gif

Site is announced after all contracts are in place and Rally Chair has accepted the job.

If it wasn't such lousy weather, we would be out riding instead of riding the keyboard. :laugh

Zone IV-:thumb :dance
sounds good to me. NC, GA, TN (homelands)
I'll have to get there via Canada :ca and Colorado :bikes

How it works...

Just wondering if there are any word on where the '09 event will be held?

All,
Several years ago the Board changed the rally site announcement policy. Where as it had been policy to not announce the following year's rally site until the opening of the current year, the new policy allowed for the announcement of the following year's site as soon as all the paperwork and arrangements made, and not earlier than six months before the current year's rally. Said in plain English, after the deal for the site was done and done, and not before January.

This policy also said that the BMW MOA would publish the next five years of projected site locations by zones. The further out we go the less accurate those projections become, but at least they let the members know what looks likely currently.

Last year the arrangements for Gillette took much longer than expected, so the announcement was fairly close West Bend. This year it is likely the 2009 site will be announced at the April 19th Board meeting.

seems odd that zone V is so small and III so large. is this based on population density? And even taking that into account I would have thought that IL IN Ohio and WI and maybe Michigan would have fallen into zone V if one is looking a fair distribution for access/distance for members. I also see what looks like a zone for Canada?

RM

All,
Several years ago the Board changed the rally site announcement policy. Where as it had been policy to not announce the following year's rally site until the opening of the current year, the new policy allowed for the announcement of the following year's site as soon as all the paperwork and arrangements made, and not earlier than six months before the current year's rally. Said in plain English, after the deal for the site was done and done, and not before January.

This policy also said that the BMW MOA would publish the next five years of projected site locations by zones. The further out we go the less accurate those projections become, but at least they let the members know what looks likely currently.

Last year the arrangements for Gillette took much longer than expected, so the announcement was fairly close West Bend. This year it is likely the 2009 site will be announced at the April 19th Board meeting.

Where would one find them published?

Where would one find them published?

This is the area on the web site where the zones are listed: http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally/rallyprocess.htm

The rotation schedule has been subject to some recent changes which has kept it off the web site, and likely will be changed some more. Said another way - this is no guarantee, but as of now:

2009 Zone IV
2010 Zone I
2011 Zone VI
2012 Zone III
2013 Zone VII (central or western area)

Back