• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding Guatemala

fritzsampson

There are a lot of people out there with a lot more bike and experience than I have. But I have been riding South and Central American dirt since I was 19. Thats about 300 years ago in dog years. I have recently started riding Guatemala while working some construction projects. Yamaha DT175 2 stroke is the volkswagen of Guatemala. The country is still a little unsettled, but is blessed with bad roads and volcanoes. Can't beat it. My plan is to ride the F650GS down next winter on the way to Ushuia.

The pics are the best I can do now. As I am still trying to figure out how to post them on this site.

Fritz

Attachments

• P1070071.JPG
    P1070071.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 81
Sounds like you know your way around there pretty good ... were you to have any questions I'd recommend contacting "Salcar" on this board. He lives in Nicaragua & if I have my facts straight has ridden every country in Central and South America ... could offer insights into border crossings, etc...

Sounds like you know your way around there pretty good ... were you to have any questions I'd recommend contacting "Salcar" on this board. He lives in Nicaragua & if I have my facts straight has ridden every country in Central and South America ... could offer insights into border crossings, etc...

:thumb

not only that but we ride the same bikes... BMW F650GSD and Yamaha DT 175 :whistle

pls let me know if can be of any help!

Salcar and all the others who are watching the 3rd world disappear before our very eyes,

thanks for all the comments. I am going to use this thread as my experimental learning ground to post photos. Believe me, I will be contacting my friends on the way because I love to go where the road is under water.

My F650 is not a Dakar, and it is not dirty and beat up enough yet. So no pics til it looks like a bike should. No pretty boy stuff. I have a H-D for that.

This is a pic of Dave at CATours in Antiqua Guatemala. He has a stable of Yamaha DT 175s, a KLR 650 and assorted other bikes. Good guy, great value, and a very knowledgable fellow for "shortcut" riding.

Fritz

Last edited:
Back