• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650GS twin coming July '08

MERKINMUFFLEY

The saga of what they're delivering and when gets stranger by the day.

BMW F 650 GS Twin - Coming July '08

Delays in F 800 GS production have convinced BMW NA to order the new F 650 GS Twin as a logical short term replacement. Introduced in Milan last fall, the GS sports a 71hp version of the 800 twin found in the F 800. We are waiting for color and price options to be announced.

http://cliffscyclerevolution.com/Default.asp

Did you ever hear about the F800GS that was going to be delivered March 1st? :laugh

And now a quote for Missouri's US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver:

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."

confirmed

I checked my source and it is true. The F650GS will be available in "mid-summer" with an anticipated retail of under 8,800 including delivery but sans ABS.

I can't say I understand the decision as I really think this is much more of a bike for Europe than the U.S. Just 10 days ago the honchos didn't think the bike was going to appear in our market.

This could be nothing more than give the dealers a new model for the season to help with the wait for the 800. While the new 650 is nice the 800 is IMO definitely worth waiting for.

Not quite a GS, the new 650 twin!

I saw it with mag wheels, no spokes in pictures, so does it come with spokes for off road? If not, its a fine street bike indeed at 70+ hp in a 650. A real rocket, but I would love to see a dirt version of the F650 at 70+ hp:). I do not understand a 650 and 800, same motor design without some major differences between the two. I see in pictures, the 800 is most probably the only dirt oriented one and the 650, a mean street machine. Not quite a good enough pill to satisfy the urge for the 800, I feel. Best wishes to those waiting for 800's. It sure looks like a hot ride. I could wait no more, so I bought a new GSA1200 and at least its not a new model release, not proven in the market. Been there, done that before. Randy13233:usa

Same engine in 650 or 800 except 650 is "detuned." :scratch

Tires and rims should not be a problem
A chain is a chain

So it comes down to a difference in frame. There is enough productive capacity
for a 650 frame but not an 800 frame.

There is a big demand for the 800 so market a 650.

Call in Sherlock Holmes for this one!
watson.jpg

F650 Gs 2007

Could anyone tell me the price of the package for the ABS, heated grips, and centerstand on the 2007 F650 GS? Thanks:usa

I have put a deposit on an F650GS with my BMW dealer. I was interested in demo ing an F800, but he said they wont be getting them until the fall. However, he said he just came from a meeting and they were told theyd be getting the 650 after all. They are getting two of them. Im first in line for a 650, but I also talked him into putting me in the line (#8) for the 800 in case I reject it. It does appear to have cast wheels and tubeless tires (good!) Also has a 19 inch front wheel. Really it seems to me its not a true GS but rather an R type or maybe a bike like the Strada F650 of 1998.
No ABS huh? Thats even more better! Now if it just didint have canbus and that idjit chip in the ignition key! Cable operated clutch (yeah!)

F 650gs

Hummm. Same engine as the 800, so same weight. F650 GS in July vs. F800 GS in September/November. I think I'll wait :dance

At the press launch when compared to the F800 more than one journalist (myself included) called the 650 a cheap 800. None of the stuff that made the 800 so cool is missing form the 650 to reduce price.

At the time BMW was confident enough that they were not bringing the bike here that while the Euro writers were riding the F650 we were hanging by the pool and packing up for the trip home. This was two weeks ago.

While I didn't ride both just from looking at them if you want to do any dirt at all (and I mean any) or any sort of touring hold out for the 800.

Personally I wonder if they are bringing the 650 over to placate the dealers.

i wonder if the cast wheels from the 650 twin will fit on the 650 rotax single? i would be interested in running tubeless tires, but not sure i want to get a first year production bike (650 twin) to accomplish that.

At the press launch when compared to the F800 more than one journalist (myself included) called the 650 a cheap 800. None of the stuff that made the 800 so cool is missing form the 650 to reduce price.

At the time BMW was confident enough that they were not bringing the bike here that while the Euro writers were riding the F650 we were hanging by the pool and packing up for the trip home. This was two weeks ago.

While I didn't ride both just from looking at them if you want to do any dirt at all (and I mean any) or any sort of touring hold out for the 800.

Personally I wonder if they are bringing the 650 over to placate the dealers.

Thanks for the insight Rob. What a great place we have here. Someone who has actually ridden the 800 and seen the 650 in the flesh.

Thanks for the insight Rob. What a great place we have here. Someone who has actually ridden the 800 and seen the 650 in the flesh.

You are welcome.

And you can be assured that I put a ton of time into my article *and* it was professionally edited so hopefully none of it will be as tortured as what you quoted.

What the 650 will be perfect for is the new rider. That is what is was intended for and at that it will excel.

I'll post a photo of the one I saw tomorrow.

The US introduction of the long anticipated F800 GS has unfortunately been delayed until the fall of 2008 due to some previously unforeseen production issues. The good news however, is that BMW has decided to bring the all new F650 GS to our country after all and it will arrive here this summer. Those set on buying an F800 GS will have to wait but for some would-be F800 GS buyers, this may be a blessing in disguise. The F650 is slightly (8kg) lighter than the F800 GS and it's lower too, making it much easier to handle for some riders and especially those who don't intend to leave the pavement. The 2008 F650GS actually has the same 798cc engine as the F800GS but with a marginally lower power output and wider torque curve, making the bike very easy to ride in any gear.

Beyond engine output, the F650GS is primarily distinguished from its more powerful brother by:

lower (60mm) seat height
cast metal 19-inch front and 17-inch rear wheels
one less front brake disc (same dimensions)
conventional telescopic front forks with 180mm of travel
street-style fairings
lower windshield
Power specifications are:

55.3 ft-lb of torque at 4,500 rpm
71 horsepower at 7,000 rpm

f650_1.jpg

F650_2.jpg

Just got back from the BMW open house here in Stuttgart where I rode the R1200R and the F800GS.

Not thinking the G650 twin was coming to the states, I didn't ride that one.

My ride was about 10 miles, half fairly twisty and half Autobahn. I ride a G650 XCountry almost daily, and my F800GS ride was ten minutes after I climbed off of the R1200R.

My impressions of the F800GS- not my cup of tea. The seat was reminded me of the XChallenge/XMoto. Very hard. In addition, the seat was a little too wide at the front. I could not get comfortable on the bike at all- not just the egronomics, but the feeling of the bike. I do not have a lot of experience on motorcycles, the F800 was only the 4th motorcycle I had ridden. I am sure that fact had something to do with my inability to realax. That and the crazy german :german on the K1200S tossing it around like a CRF50!

Tomorrow, there is another open house in K-Town, I will ride the 650twin tomorrow and let you all know.

BTW- I absolutely loved the R1200R. I may trade the XCountry on the R1200R, instead of buying a Triumph in addition to the BMW as was the plan agreed to SWMBO.

Tschus!

Chris

Happy to Hear about the F650

I was told by my dealer on Saturday about the availability of the '650' version, and was offered the option to 'switch' from an F800 with possible delivery in September to an F650 with delivery in July, so I am switching to the F650.

I was looking for a lighter bike in the first place, and was disappointed when I had heard originally that the 650 version would NOT be imported to USA.

My wife & I pretty much ride pavement only (well okay a few gravel roads when necessary)....she on her 07F650GSL single, which she loves so much that she immediately sold her 05F650GSL, with 18K miles on it, to buy "one of the last" singles when we heard the 650 single was being phased out.

We always ride together, so a 'de-tuned' 71 hp 800 will still allow me to keep up with her.... most of the time. ;)

Is the engine still made by Rotax? I'd heard somewhere of production being moved to China on the 650 twin to meet BMW's "aggressive" pricing strategy.

Back