• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

painting

W

WesPeterson

Dinged my tank today while cleaning it out. I might use this as an excuse to get the bike repainted (tank, s-fairing, fender, battery covers) - what is the price range for getting something like this done? And pinstriping too.

Thanks.

I got nicked $600 for a tank and both fenders on my R75/5 last spring. It was a non-stock, expensive paint.(house of color-Cadillac pearl white) tape pinstripes, and I'm not terribly happy with the result. If you know a top shelf body man you could get a dent picked out for about $40 or so. You wouldn't believe what a highly skilled practitioner can do. I would never consider touching the original hand striped paint on my wifes R75/5. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Hand pinstripes

On my 1971 /5, my son-in-law shot the paint for me, so I was only out the cost of materials- around $100 if I recall.

I took the tank and fenders to a custom hot rod painter in Tulsa who is known simply as "Wizard". He hand painted the stripes and did a super job. I think I paid $125 or $150 for the striping.

$600 for a complete job doesn't seem too far out of line.

Wes said:
Dinged my tank today while cleaning it out. I might use this as an excuse to get the bike repainted (tank, s-fairing, fender, battery covers) - what is the price range for getting something like this done? And pinstriping too.

Thanks.

If the dent didn't scratch the paint, definately try "paintless dent removal" first. Even if it did, a bit of touch up paint will do the trick. But then, if you're just looking for a reason to repaint....

Back