• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Skagway anyone?

TReese

We're planning a ride to Skagway this summer, Alaska ferry up and ride back down thru BC. Has anyone riden in or out of Skagway? Or have any ideas? Thanks much, Ted & Linda

good luck

Hi Ted & Linda: have a good time going to the 49th state. It's on my to do list. couldn't help but notice the similarity in our last names. Hope to cross paths some day. Randy Treece-Shaft Twisters BMW Club, Wichita

I rode Skagway to Whitehorse in 1985 and more recently, in 2003. First trip it was good gravel; second was fairly good pavement. A nice ride and lots of photo ops.

Re: Skagway

Thanks for the get-back. I hit the Skagway website and it mentioned tour buses using the road, so should be not problem - maybe traffic. Thanks again and take care, Ted

I'm planning on riding into Haines from Anchorage, ferrying over to Skagway and riding back out to Whitehorse!
Can you ferry from Haines, AK. to Skagway, AK. with your bike?
Fred

In 2002, Heidi and I, on our return portion of our Alaska adventure, rode down to Skagway from Whitehorse. The road was in good shape, although we did run into some rain. Once in Skagway, it is very easy to get around, as everything you want to visit is in walking distance. The White Pass RR is right along the road in many places, all the way into the center of town.

We attempted to hike the Gold Rush trail of 1899, but I petered out at the scales, thee days into the hike. We returned to Skagway and boarded the Alaska Ferry System ship Columbia and had a restfull trip to Bellingham Wa.

In 1992, on another trip, my buddy and I ended in Haines. We flew over to Skagway for the day, flew back and boarded the Columbia to travel to Bellingham.

Haines to Skagway is about 20 min by air, 30-40 min by boat, and over 300 miles by road. Do not know if you can ferry between the two cities except for the Alaska Ferry System.

bob

T,

Skagway to Whitehorse? I've heard it's a beautiful ride, glacier lakes, moss covered rocks, beautiful vistas. Unfortunately, the day I passed through it was 40 F., fog and rain. Couldn't see a dern thing. Anyhow, I've got some recommendations for the rest of your ride.

If you don't mind a little dust or dirt, I would highly recommend turning off the Alaska Highway just south of Whitehorse and taking the Cassiar Highway down to Prince Rupert, then the YellowHead highway (Hwy 16) eastward across BC. Lots of small towns and friendly people along the Yellowhead. Not so crowded with tourists as the Alcan.

Out of Whitehorse, as soon as you leave the Alcan, you can stop at Jade City. Something like 90 percent of the world's jade is mined there. Hunks of jade the size of a volkswagen. The "City" consists of 2 buildings. As you head south you'll see moose (I had a VERY close encounter), and probably some bear down near Bear Glacier. It you're going to camp in this area, ask for local advice. You are not at the top of the food chain there. :)

It is a little far between gas stations, and you'll still probably hit around a hundred miles of gravel road, including some 10% grades (!) but you'll get to experience some of the kind of roads that the Alcan USED to be. No RVs, and I only saw a car every few hours. You're going for the adventure, right?

Get a copy of "Milepost" (Google it) You'll get a good up-to-date description of the roads, accommodations, gas stops, and some of the attractions for all roads in, and leading to Alaska.

A GS or a GSPD(like mine) is good, but a normal road bike can make it pretty well. Remember to regularly steam off the magnesium chloride dust that they treat the gravel roads with. It tends to pit aluminum.

Ride Safe,
Les
Now a new owner of an '88 R100RS

Alaska Marine Highway

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

From this site click make reservation and you can select you city, dates round trip or one way and so on. It looks like the AMH Alaska Marine Highway goes back and forth from Haines and Skagway daily, for a motorcycle and a passenger its 62.00 if I read it correctly. Have a great trip, Im planning on a trip this fall from Ohio to Prince Rupert British Columbia, then to my home via AMH, Ketchikan. Ill fly oneway to Gallipolis Ohio, spend some time with my Dad then drive the 86 K100RS back to Alaska.

Skagway trip

Yeah, we plan on taking Hwy 37 down, the Stewart-Cassair Highway. Seems there is only about 100km of hardpack gravel, broken into three sections that are no problem, even for our heavy bagger, but can be pretty slippery when wet. http://www.drivebc.ca is a pretty good road condition site. Thanks to all, Ted

Skagway trip

Well, we made reservations for August on the ferry, so its a go. The Alaskan ferry Columbia is booked solid for the summer, going north. So we had to reverse our trip. Will be leaving Winthrop, WA, heading up thru BC, Cassiar-Stewart Hwy (#37) to Whitehorse, then back down to Skagway to meet the boat. We'll be taking their "Glacier Bay" trip, an 8-day job with whale pestering, glacier watching and such out of Gustavus, a 'round trip on the narrow gauge railroad (the Engineer is from Winthrop also) up the pass and back, a windowed berth, and back down to Bellingham. Then an easy ride over the Cascades Hwy. and home. We'll be doubled up on the bike and doing the plastic thing (grizzlies and the possibility of moose bites made camping out of her comfort zone). Thanks again to all for the input, Ted

Back