• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendations on getting an AirHead

M

mane

Hi you all!

I'm currently own an BMW R1150R '02, which I'm think to
replace with a R1150GS or R1200GS(I'm not sure which one yet!)

However, I became to like the simplicity on the air cooled boxers, and I even find it romantic, without ever have owned one. :)

So I'm thinking on getting an airhead, but I not sure what should I be looking, and want to hear some recommendations from people more experienced on this subject.

I don't plan to ride the airhead much, just the ocassional commute (20km) to work, and some short rides on weekends.

And who knows maybe my wife would find the airhead less intimidating, and would like to start learning on it. :dunno

And finally, I would like to get a model that has chances of becoming a collector's item, in 50 years of so. So that when my grandchilds look at it, it would say cool! :D

I guess I'll be looking at late 70's or early 80's model, since I believe that it would be easier to find parts. You tell me?

Am I asking for to much? If not which models do you recommend me?

I live in Guatemala, Central America, and being and small (third world) country, the BMW Motorcycle community is small, so I have not that many options where to choose regarding second hand market, however, we do get some Euro-spec only models here!

Currently my research has bring the following models:

1997 R80GS Kalahari 14000KM (8700 milles aprox). $5,000.00 (Expensive!)

1982 R65 3000KM (1,800 milles aprox) $3,500.00

Is there any of this models ok with my specs or should I keep looking?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English!
Mane

Hi, Hey I just passed through your airport a couple weeks ago. I have been considering the drive to Panama on my 91 GS.

Here's my take on the BMW's. If you want a truly collectable and versitile bike get the r100gs pd. Get it in the BumbleBee colours. Now you have a classic bike that can go anywhere.

When BMW first introduced the R100 GS, I saw the Bumblebee and said to myself I will own one, I do now. As far as My driving style and usage, there is no better bike built. Not the newer ones or R80's.

If given any bike in the world to drive regular, regardless of price or make, I would still choose the R100 GS Black and Yellow Bmw. I still get the wows even dirty and used. :brow

well now that's a tough one, being as where you live. Anything from the 70' or earlier is already a classic, my kids (12 and 15 now) thought that my bikes, a '73 and '78 were kool even several yeara ago. I have to say though that one of the deciding factors would be what years are you likely to find parts for in your country. The '70's air heads don't need a lot of work to keep right on running, but they do need some attention and if a part breaks, well it breaks and has to be replaced.

So keep looking see whats available something from the 80's may be just the ticket, and a GS may be more useable, depends on what the roads are like where you live, etc.

In 40 years, even a new bike today will be a classic, any BMW will, I would suppose.

RM

If you're the least bit handy, an airhead will be a good choice.

I'd avoid the R65. They are underpowered and they have a lot of parts unique to them, so parts could be hard to find. However, if the bike is destined for the wife, the disadvantages may be offset by its small size.

Are those prices $US? $5000US for an airhead GS with only 9000mi doesn't sound bad at all. I guess it's an R80, so worth somewhat less than an R100.

I prefer the late 1980's/early 90's models even though they have less power than the 1977-1979. Supposedly the single shock (80's/90's) models handle better, but I don't ride hard enough to know the difference. The late 70's models do have more power (at least in US spec).

I figure the parts availability will be better with the newer ones and I can continue to get parts longer than I would with an older one.

The airhead RS is a classic model, definitely one of the most collectible newer (70's and newer) airheads. IMHO, the most desirable newer airheads are probably the R90S, R100RS, and R100GS PD. I can still sell my bike for the same amount I paid for it 7 years ago.

But, don't buy an airhead based on its resale value. Buy it because it's fun to ride and easy to work on and take it out and enjoy it.

Thank you!

Thank you for the advice!

I sure would like to get a R90S or R100GSPD however, it's going be hard to find any someone willing the sell it. :dunno

Thank you for steering my away from the R65, it was the one I was more close to get. :uhoh

The $5000US it indeed a R80GS and it is a 1997 year model.

And Mag00 if you ever do that trip to Panama, feel free to drop me a email, when you pass through Guatemala, and I would show you some really nice places here!

Please if anyone has anything more to say, please do so. Since this is being really helpfull to me.

Thank you very much again.
Mane

Personally, I like the /5's because of the smaller headlight bucket with the instrument set in the top of it. I also like the solid feel of the 4 speed transmission. Let's not forget the kick and electric start option on the /5's and early /6's. I've only owned /5's and /6's with the exception of an R1100 that I bought new in 1994. Too much power for me. As an owner/maintainer, I also like the farm tractor simplicty of the earlier bikes.

woodnsteel said:
Personally, I like the /5's because of the smaller headlight bucket with the instrument set in the top of it. I also like the solid feel of the 4 speed transmission. Let's not forget the kick and electric start option on the /5's and early /6's. I've only owned /5's and /6's with the exception of an R1100 that I bought new in 1994. Too much power for me. As an owner/maintainer, I also like the farm tractor simplicty of the earlier bikes.

Second here. No brainer for me: A late model long wheel base R75/5, with the big euro tank and small euro bars. (I'm actually getting one later this spring to compliment my R60/5)

>Are those prices $US? $5000US for an airhead GS with only 9000mi doesn't sound bad at all. I guess it's an R80, so worth somewhat less than an R100.

Dude, that's not any R80, it's a Kalihari! I'd kill for a Kalihari. IIRC, they made them up to 1996 for the South Africa market,.
gskala.jpg

Forks instead of tele, about 75 lbs less fat, and RARITY in spades.

Back