• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Exploring NICARAGUA!!!

salcar

Photographed & posted by "inte" who doesn't have an account yet, but hopes to soon :)

Ten days of empty coastline, time-warp villages, mountaintop jungles, historic colonial towns, and friendly people …

257296240_ZPmVw-M.jpg

257307707_HvuFe-M.jpg

Teaser pics:

257297980_GpM3Q-XL.jpg

257296291_b7dU3-M.jpg

257297065_zNwtD-XL.jpg

257295503_onUPz-M.jpg

257297315_KU2Dg-M.jpg

257295704_B43iG-M.jpg

257297227_VPdEF-M.jpg

257296725_2oVka-M.jpg

257297910_Dqugu-XL.jpg

257297018_Xb2i4-XL.jpg

257295948_FstEL-M.jpg

257296408_Pm3xr-M.jpg

257296620_8VDwu-XL.jpg

257297001_bgFAY-S.jpg

257296252_6m38R-XL.jpg

257295881_Ha97f-XL.jpg

257297082_uM77f-XL.jpg

Great project. Sal it reminds that I still have your face shield for your XD helmet you requested in Patagonia. :whistle

REALLY!!!! :dance
i still haven't change it... so you can imagine how bad it is now... driving at night makes it an interesting light show :laugh
should i send you an adress in miami :ear

Inte hijacking Salcar's account again :)

Many of you have heard of Salvadors Journey for Healthcare. After riding all of Latin America he ended up parked in Nicaragua and has since begun gathering rental bikes for people who want to visit & experience the place, but dont have the time/resources to ride an additional 20 countries in the process

Prior to Salcar's departure we were living in the same city in Orange County and had ridden together previously ... surprisingly, he still talked with me afterward :D While he was doing the healthcare run around S. America we had kicked around the idea of getting bikes down there for people and coming up with safe (as much as adventure riding can be safe...) pre-scouted routes for people who wanted to experience the place. The past few weeks things began to fall into place...

A recent trip was one of the 1st tours, complete with media involvement, which led to this current adventure, a supported ride complete with chase truck. A couple guys would fly in from the frozen north and let the madness begin.

But first there was some pre-running to do

DAY 1

I had heard Managua was pretty crazy with its nameless streets and might makes right rules of the road, but my initial experience after landing was actually quite tame  Salvador had someone pick up up at the airport. So  problem solved of figuring out how to get to his place :D The driver gave me a bit of history, local knowledge, etc during the drive so the entire experience was really enjoyable. I just sat back & enjoyed the ride  completely oblivious to hazards such as manholes without covers that were whizzing by beneath me.

Arriving at SalcarÔÇÖs place I was immediately greeted by one of the more scenic spots to work on the bikes IÔÇÖve ever seen. View of the auxiliary parking area from the front door:

257297124_g4DfQ-L.jpg

The rest of that afternoon/evening was spent prepping for our 6AM departure the next day.

DAY 2

257654519_iPHGr-M.jpg

In a world of rapidly evaporating frontiers, this day (and the next two weeks) would prove there still is true adventure to be had in the modern world. The moment we rolled away from Cuidad Sandino, within 2km the clock started turning backward as fossil fuels gave way first to bicycles, then to oxcarts and women carrying loads balanced on their heads. Much, if not a majority of society exists in this way. The area we were headed into is about 100km of pretty much nothing right along empty coastline. Bicycles and oxcarts were the only vehicles that would be seen after leaving the only gas stop for the day. I understood it would be unusual for the locals to see us riding through, but the degree of their curiosity had me baffled at first. I was still thinking of their reaction in terms of wow, look at the motorcycle guys going past when I should have been judging it more along the lines of wow, look at the moon men on their hypercycles. Seriously, once Turkish rolled in on his 950 it might as well been as if someone landed the space shuttle in your driveway  more on that later.

Another pleasant discovery was that there are a ridiculous amount of fruits that grow around here and they make all sorts of juices from them. So many to choose, I actually had one that Salcar had never even tried!

257297338_ymA29-M.jpg

Every once in a while weÔÇÖd stop to catch the view.

257296791_PcixD-M.jpg

257296772_NqpF5-M.jpg

257296707_RfDZ2-M.jpg

Back