• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

those BMW signs, on the engine

donkey doctor

Hello; I got the engine real hot in Edmonton last august, so hot that the signs that stick to the side of the engine fell off. I lost one in a busy intersection, so I yanked the other one off and stuck it in my tankbag. Now I'm ready to put them back on, but what should I use?

I think the signs were stuck on to the case with clear silicone, shich should have worked, but didn't. The high temperature silicones don't have the glue factor of the others.

What would You use to stick these things back on with?

Use a good slow set (1 hour), filled (not clear), epoxy. Set both decals on with a little tape to keep them from sliding down and adjust a few times during the set up time. Permanent to 300F.
I work with hysol brand alot. Great stuff.

Dan.

Hello; I'm not sure if 300F is enough. I remember that when the signs fell off it was surely hotter then 300F. I was stuck in slow moving bumper to bumper traffic for about an hour on an already hot day.

That gorilla snot stuff, we have an anti-sieze compound here that is called gorilla snot, surely not what you were thinking. It's on the same shelf as the panther piss ( pernetating fluid) and the whale sperm (pipe thread sealant).

I used a 2 part epoxy glue when mine were about to go south.Too bad you lost yours!What did it cost for a new one?

If your engine temp is 300, I think those little signs are the least of your worries. I thought that the danger zone started at about 250. Of course I could be mistaken.

No, the Gorilla Snot I'm referring to is I think a weatherstrip adhesive but don't quote me on that. I think Gorilla Snot is it's real trade name too, but I haven't actually seen it anywhere. But some of the guys on Boxerworks.com swear by it.

Ouch!! Sounds Hot!!!!

Dear Doktor............I'm no techie or Guru, but have ridin' Airheads in the Sunny South (84F today) for 25 + years......

If get caught in the typical winter "Snowbird" express, or major stoppage on interstate, I pull as far over to the right of the pavement, I shut my headlight off for LESS conspicuity, and putter (5 mph) past the stopped traffic.

This is of dubious legality, and certain to PO a LEO, but you have to keep your eyes open for the LEO's. I have found that "most" drivers don't get grossly mad, if you pass them with a little respect. To sneak back in when neccesary, I wait for the "right" type of driver, wave politely, and always get back in.

If you are "really" stuck in traffic.......pull over and snooze, or get somewhere bearable..........but please ,IMHO, do NOT idle for long periods, clutch in/out in creaping traffic!!

Yes I do have a cooler w/thermostat, but I will not let my oil go over 250F....................Shepster

Back