• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Possible photo op this evening

Voni, you have the patience of a saint... I tried that with my telescope, but gave up after a few failed attempts.

Maybe it was the cold (15 degrees), or the darkenss, or the high magnification on my telescope, but I couldn't get the lens properly aligned with the eyepiece long enough to get an autofocus...

Here's my best (cropped):
DSC02211.JPG

I like the way Jupiter can be clearly seen as a planet rather than just a dot of light, very nice. Even has a bit of color showing.

FYI if you spend enough time star gazing you will start to notice the different colors of them, it takes practice and patience but once you become aware of it, I've found it adds to the experience. The colors relate to the stars temperatures and indirectly to size and age.

RM
(junior astronomer)

I like the way Jupiter can be clearly seen as a planet rather than just a dot of light, very nice. Even has a bit of color showing.

FYI if you spend enough time star gazing you will start to notice the different colors of them, it takes practice and patience but once you become aware of it, I've found it adds to the experience. The colors relate to the stars temperatures and indirectly to size and age.

RM
(junior astronomer)

Thanks, Jeff.

I had tried a longer exposure, but the motion of the Earth blurred the image. I suppose I needed a motorized tripod to track the motion of the heavens...

Frustrated last night by the clouds obscuring the eclipse, I went back out tonight with the moon rising just above the horizon. Used an ancient manual 500mm f/8 Reflex-Nikkor lens, which is the equivalent of a 750mm lens on my digital SLR. Tonight is a full moon :)

Attachments

• tucson-2-21-08.jpg
    tucson-2-21-08.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hand held P&S full zoom.

257313715_uKbDW-L.jpg

Oh god you almost gave me a heart attack when I read your sig line! Ha Ha I love it!

Vini Vici Velcro what a scream!

Welcome to the photo phorum, hope you'll "stick" around for a bit!

Ha Ha!

Oh, almost forgot, nice effort on the shot as well.....doin' it with a P&S is really challenging ..

RM

(still chortling......) ho ho .....

Frustrated last night by the clouds obscuring the eclipse, I went back out tonight with the moon rising just above the horizon. Used a 500mm Nikkor lens, which is the equivalent of a 750mm lens on my digital SLR. Tonight is a full moon :)

Wow! a real stunner there, did you use any filters and what settings? That's one of the best moon shots I've seen to date. Shooting it when full is I think the most challenging. I like it when its at 1/2 or less as you can see the relief of the carters due to the shadows of the side lighting on the globe and its a bit easier to expose.

Lovely shot....

RM

Wow! a real stunner there, did you use any filters and what settings? That's one of the best moon shots I've seen to date. Shooting it when full is I think the most challenging. I like it when its at 1/2 or less as you can see the relief of the carters due to the shadows of the side lighting on the globe and its a bit easier to expose.

Lovely shot....

RM

Thank you.

No filters; f/8 is fixed aperture on my old 500mm Reflex-Nikkor. Set D300 to aperture priority, of course (no choice there), and used spot metering. Mounted on a tripod. Exposure was surprising short. About 1/160th, as I recall.

Attachments

• 500mm-Reflex-Nikkor.jpg
    500mm-Reflex-Nikkor.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Frustrated last night by the clouds obscuring the eclipse, I went back out tonight with the moon rising just above the horizon. Used an ancient manual 500mm f/8 Reflex-Nikkor lens, which is the equivalent of a 750mm lens on my digital SLR. Tonight is a full moon :)

Very nice! It required really good technique to accomplish that. :thumb

Thank you.

No filters; f/8 is fixed aperture on my old 500mm Reflex-Nikkor. Set D300 to aperture priority, of course (no choice there), and used spot metering. Mounted on a tripod. Exposure was surprising short. About 1/160th, as I recall.

Thanks and 1/160 isn't really surprising given that, as I stated eariler, the moon IS a sunlit object even given its distance, esp. when full. Note how well one can see under a full moon at night when in an area free of artificial lighting. I've shot as fast as 1/250 at F5.6 (which works about the same given the bigger f-stop).

RM

Olde Days

I was told years ago that with ASA100 film one would get the best moon pictures at f8 and 1/125 sec. That was standard for daylight.

Back