• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cargo trailer behind an LT

Bushtec doesn't make hitch for 1998 K1200RS

Robert, I apologize that I meant to say Bushtec offers BMW hitches for the LT & RT, not the RS.

John A. Preston CEO
Bushtec Mfg & Sales, Inc.
PO Box 459
180 Mount Paran Road
Jacksboro, TN 37757
(423) 562-9900 Office
(423) 562-9911 FAX
Home of the original "Performance Sport Trailers"
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
bushtec@aol.com
www.bushtec.com
bushtec@aol.com

I pulled a home made trailer, 275-300lb with my 99 K1200LT from houston to breckenridge Co. with no problems. The LT is heavy enough that the trailer didn't push it around. You knew it was back there when you went to pass but just down shift and away you go. It cost a few mpg but as we went from a hot climate to a some what cooler one and camping to boot, the trailer proved it's worth. I had also pulled it on shorter trips as well. It was made with a reworked harbor frieght small trailer and a 20cf sears car top carrier. As mentioned previously, a swivel hitch is a good idea. The hitch for the bike I got from Dauntless and it worked great but is expensive and worth it as installation is easy. On the K1200LT site, Dave Dragon has a great write up about how he made his trailer if your interested.

Don Mitchell
Bellville,TX

Thanks, for the input. You're right I couldn't pull such a heavy trailer with my K1200RS. I'm looking for a trailer weighing less than 120 lbs, that's why I like the Uni Go at 70 lbs. I intend to carry my camping gear only, and it weighs 65 lbs. Right now I carry it in a Moto Fizz Med bag on the passenger seat. The only problem is the bike feels top heavy. I'm not use to carrying a passenger so I'd like to get that weight off the bike and on the road.
Does someone make a light (70-100 lbs) two wheel trailer? The Uni Go is the solution but I just can't trust that the manufacturing problems are over with.

Thanks, for the input. You're right I couldn't pull such a heavy trailer with my K1200RS. I'm looking for a trailer weighing less than 120 lbs, that's why I like the Uni Go at 70 lbs. I intend to carry my camping gear only, and it weighs 65 lbs. Right now I carry it in a Moto Fizz Med bag on the passenger seat. The only problem is the bike feels top heavy. I'm not use to carrying a passenger so I'd like to get that weight off the bike and on the road.
Does someone make a light (70-100 lbs) two wheel trailer? The Uni Go is the solution but I just can't trust that the manufacturing problems are over with.

Talk to Jay at Dauntless www.dauntlessmotors.com After visiting his shop this summer we (as a former Uni-Go Dealer) remain impressed with his work and customer service. -Bob

Dauntless Motors Trailers

The uni-trak seems comparable to the uni-go, but man are they expensive. $2500 plus $200 packing plus $x hundred shipping for the basic/cheapest model. Their other trailers are too heavy for my bike IMO. I can't do $3000 for a trailer, my wife would kill me! There has got to be some other safe alternative to spending $3000 for 32 gallons of capacity.

The uni-trak seems comparable to the uni-go, but man are they expensive. $2500 plus $200 packing plus $x hundred shipping for the basic/cheapest model. Their other trailers are too heavy for my bike IMO. I can't do $3000 for a trailer, my wife would kill me! There has got to be some other safe alternative to spending $3000 for 32 gallons of capacity.

Well, you could look at www.monogo.com Saw one once and owner was very pleased with it. Seems far too low and somewhat spartan in design but if it works then..... -Bob

I cannot speak to the condition of brand new Unigo trailers... however, I tried to order one from their Texas Distributor a few months ago... At the time, they told me it would take 9-12 months to complete my order due to backlog!

Instead, I decided to buy a used one from someone off of ebay (they had used it on an R1100RT)... I used the trailer to go from Houston to New York (and back!) in September 2008. I barely knew the trailer was back there, even with 70-80 lbs loaded and large trucks nearby. It tracked behind the bike really well despite traveling an average of 80 mph (or higher). I even took the Blue Ridge Parkway and more twisties in WVA for more than 10 hrs of straight driving... never had to slow down for the trailer and sometimes had to stop to make sure it was back there... even handled some short stops really well when I had to... Big thanks to Schoolhouse Motorcycle Accessories in Ohio. They were able to send a relay within 2-3 days, even included a nice wiring diagram.

If you need to carry more than the unigo can handle... then you may reconsider what you really need on your trip.

I cannot speak to the condition of brand new Unigo trailers... however, I tried to order one from their Texas Distributor a few months ago... At the time, they told me it would take 9-12 months to complete my order due to backlog!

Instead, I decided to buy a used one from someone off of ebay (they had used it on an R1100RT)... I used the trailer to go from Houston to New York (and back!) in September 2008. I barely knew the trailer was back there, even with 70-80 lbs loaded and large trucks nearby. It tracked behind the bike really well despite traveling an average of 80 mph (or higher). I even took the Blue Ridge Parkway and more twisties in WVA for more than 10 hrs of straight driving... never had to slow down for the trailer and sometimes had to stop to make sure it was back there... even handled some short stops really well when I had to... Big thanks to Schoolhouse Motorcycle Accessories in Ohio. They were able to send a relay within 2-3 days, even included a nice wiring diagram.

If you need to carry more than the unigo can handle... then you may reconsider what you really need on your trip.

Your response is like that of many owners. We have sujected our trailer to many road hazards and it always performed reliably and predictably. A very positive review from just about every owner. As well, they are very difficult to find used. Maybe Schoolhouse has turned some things around but sending parts is a lot easier than delivering a fine product as promised and in the condition expected for the price. I do hope that the trailer eventually evolves to where it rightfully belongs. (glad you found a used one) -Bob

I notice you are not using a swivel. When I first began to investigate this, on this board, the attitude of most was that a swivel was absolutely essential. However, after conversing with experienced trailer haulers on the Goldwing board, including designer and manufacturer of Tailwind Trailers, Tom Finch, who lives just North of San Antonio, I have reconsidered, and wish I did not have one. A tall ball is all that is needed, I now believe. Tom has pictures of his Goldwing, laying on it's crash bars for a tire change, with the trailer still attached and unaffected, despite no swivel. Just a thought for anyone else considering towing.

Last edited:
I have no personal experience nor evidence of this, but I'd heard pulling a trailer with the K1200LT was a bad idea due to the final drive issues they have suffered just due to the added body weight (same final drive as on a K1100LT but the K1200LT carries more weight). Its been suggested adding a trailer hitch compounds the possibility of FD failure. I don't quite see how if the tongue weight is kept low.

Back