• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cargo trailer behind an LT

wnovik

Bill N
I am considering a cargo trailer to pull behind a K1200LT. I know that BMW does not recommend this, but does anyone have any evidence that it is a "bad" thing. Also, does anyone have any experience with any of the following trailers: Tailwind, Hannigan - Sierra or LT, Colorado Touring? Any suggestions or tips? Thanks.

You didn't list what is in my opinion the absolute best trailer available. Bushtec !!

I have had 4 trailers. The Bushtec is hands down the best.

A properly set up and loaded trailer will not slow you down. Other than having to stop for gas more often. I am pulling with a K11 instead of a K12 but I have had no added problems from towing a trailer. My bike has 53K miles and I just had to replace the clutch after about 30k miles of towing the trailer. Not because it was worn, but because the rear main seal leaked and oiled the clutch.

If you travel with your wife on the bike she will love the trailer. At least my wife loves ours. Heres some pictures of past and present trailers.

68941335_9qKpH-L.jpg

68941350_sCdim-L.jpg

68941361_VAAqw-L.jpg

Ridealot,

I am considering this also, with my R1200RT. Tell me about your experiences with the Unigo. Specifically, bike handling, tire wear on the trailer, and how much it can carry. TIA.

Ridealot,

I am considering this also, with my R1200RT. Tell me about your experiences with the Unigo. Specifically, bike handling, tire wear on the trailer, and how much it can carry. TIA.

While we are out of the sales part due to quality concerns and some other stuff, I will tell you that this trailer tracks beautifully; it is reliable and predictable; holds 5 cu ft; weighs in at 70 lbs and claims to carry 110 lbs max... but unless you're carrying water or sand you'll never be able to do it... 65 lbs is your usual, heavily packed weight (38 on tongue); we have 20,000 on our trailer tire and it still has lots of life; bike handling? Is that trailer really there?? Oh yes, split lane it or take it into your motel room. Lots of fun and looks good too. Anyway, ask around to others who have purchased in the last couple of years.:whistle -Bob

While we are out of the sales part due to quality concerns and some other stuff, I will tell you that this trailer tracks beautifully; it is reliable and predictable; holds 5 cu ft; weighs in at 70 lbs and claims to carry 110 lbs max... but unless you're carrying water or sand you'll never be able to do it... 65 lbs is your usual, heavily packed weight (38 on tongue); we have 20,000 on our trailer tire and it still has lots of life; bike handling? Is that trailer really there?? Oh yes, split lane it or take it into your motel room. Lots of fun and looks good too. Anyway, ask around to others who have purchased in the last couple of years.:whistle -Bob

Big enough for a cooler?

A properly set up and loaded trailer will not slow you down. Other than having to stop for gas more often. I am pulling with a K11 instead of a K12 but I have had no added problems from towing a trailer. My bike has 53K miles and I just had to replace the clutch after about 30k miles of towing the trailer. Not because it was worn, but because the rear main seal leaked and oiled the clutch.
If you travel with your wife on the bike she will love the trailer. At least my wife loves ours. Heres some pictures of past and present trailers.

I do not see a plate on the Unigo. Is one required or is this traler exempt?

Bushtec

Tom/Ridealot, thanks for the photos. Loved the one with the bike on the back. Takes away my concerns about towing too much. I like the small size of the unigo, but in hopes of cross-country trips and some camping with my wife (as you have done), I'm looking larger. Glad that you've had no troubles - you've done more towing than anyone I've been in touch with.

The Bushtec was also recommended to me by someone else. I just prefer the syling of some others - particularly with larger tires.

Since you've towed so much - any thoughts on a swivel hitch? I've heard both good and bad - helps keep you from falling over vs. doing damage if something falls over. Mostly, I'm thinking of it as a non-issue.

". I like the small size of the unigo, but in hopes of cross-country trips and some camping with my wife (as you have done), I'm looking larger. ".

After 20,000 miles and another 12,000 pending this summer two up, we have not found the Uni-go particularly limiting. It really has more to do with what you really think you need. After being in some rush hour/unfamiliar city situations I was very glad to have the Uni-go rather than a bulky two wheel 300 lb 18 cu ft trailer. But that's just me. Others think very contrary to this and have some very fine trailers to prove it. Bottom line: don't dismiss the Uni-go option too quickly. Just insure that you really need what you think you need. - Bob

Tom/Ridealot, thanks for the photos. Loved the one with the bike on the back. Takes away my concerns about towing too much. I like the small size of the unigo, but in hopes of cross-country trips and some camping with my wife (as you have done), I'm looking larger. Glad that you've had no troubles - you've done more towing than anyone I've been in touch with.

The Bushtec was also recommended to me by someone else. I just prefer the syling of some others - particularly with larger tires.

Since you've towed so much - any thoughts on a swivel hitch? I've heard both good and bad - helps keep you from falling over vs. doing damage if something falls over. Mostly, I'm thinking of it as a non-issue.

I would recommend that you absolutely have a swivel hitch.
On the first trailer I owned I did not have a swivel. All you need to do is gently drop your bike once to wish you had one on.

You say that you like the styling of trailers with larger tires. I am not aware of any trailers that have larger wheels than a Bushtec. The tires on the Bushtec are 16". The red trailer above with the bicycle rack was an absolute horrible towing trailer. Those little tires bounced and jerked me all around.

The Unigo I got rid of because of numerous problems. As Tourunigo said it is a great towing trailer. You couldn't tell it was back there. But after several major problems I just had no faith anymore in it.

I have had the Bushtec for several years now. Having the cooler is great. In our riding group everyone seems to love our trailer at every stop. Especially if its hot outside. Cold drinks will make you very popular. My wife loves the garment bag. We have both cold and hot weather gear that we take. Whatever we aren't wearing is easily stored in the garment bag.

If you go to many rallies I will tell you the worst thing about having a trailer. Guess who always, and I do mean always, gets "volunteered" to make the store and beer run. :dunno

I do not see a plate on the Unigo. Is one required or is this traler exempt?[/QUOTE said:
In Oregon small trailers do not need license plates. It seems to freak out the cops in other states. We have been stopped in other states and had discussions about why we have no plates. One cop in California thought we should stop by the California DMV to get a plate while traveling in California. I kept saying "no thank you" I'm legal in my home state and that's all I need to do.

Here's another trailer option

Here is another one wheel trailer. I considered this one and the unigo. This one has about twice the cubic feet of a Unigo. It is rated for 100 lbs. or so, but I like it better at 60-70. The advantage of a one wheel is the trailer leans with you and goes where you go. You don't have to worry about deropping a wheel off or going through a tight spot. I don't pull it behind my RT but behind my Ultra. The disadvantage of a one wheel trailer is you are holding it up with the bike. I only use it two up with my wife and have no problem. It costs about the same as the Unigo and is made in Des Moines. It is the N-Line trailer just google the website. Here it is hooked to my Ultra.

257020252_eUEXZ-L.jpg

Trailer pulling

I have pulled a home built trailer, (Mahogany strips and fiberglass. Light weight and strong and doesn't look too bad either), for 2 trips, 3000 miles each, 2 up, in mountains, behind a '89 K100LT. I now have a K1100 set up to do the same. I can tell its back there, I go through more gas, but allows us to travel comfortably and camp when we want to, motel it when we don't. I will add a swivel hitch this year. I have had no trouble going with the flow of traffic or better. You still have to use your head and take some common sense precautions, but for me, it's the way to travel and enjoy biking!

In Oregon small trailers do not need license plates. It seems to freak out the cops in other states. We have been stopped in other states and had discussions about why we have no plates. One cop in California thought we should stop by the California DMV to get a plate while traveling in California. I kept saying "no thank you" I'm legal in my home state and that's all I need to do.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll need one here in RI, I'll have to check it out.

towing a trailer

I presently have a1993 k1100lt with a reynolds hitch and a trailer with a swivel hitch whitch I have towed for several thousand miles. I put a cooler on the tongue(thanks for the rack, Greg)and it has allowed my wife and I to camp in luxury.The trailer has small wheels and other than no good place for a spare tire I have no complaints. As noted it reduced my mpg but I'm selling my LT and getting another airhead. I will keep the trailer and look for a hitch for my "new" 1992 R100RT. I do miss the '76 R90S i sold several years ago.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll need one here in RI, I'll have to check it out.

Another plate method: scan plate and reduce to 75% on to photo paper. Laminate twice and put behind plexiglass (mounted on non bending plate ie aluminum). Keep original and legal plate in trailer. -Bob

Uni Go problems questions?

The Unigo I got rid of because of numerous problems. As Tourunigo said it is a great towing trailer. You couldn't tell it was back there. But after several major problems I just had no faith anymore in it.

What problems did you have? I have heard of two: 1) the original hitches were not good causing the trailer to hop etc. and 2) a few of the trailers were manufactured with poor quality control and they 'hopped' etc.!
What exactly happened to your trailer? I am thinking of buying a UniGo with the updated hitch, and trailer for my K1200RS.

What problems did you have? I have heard of two: 1) the original hitches were not good causing the trailer to hop etc. and 2) a few of the trailers were manufactured with poor quality control and they 'hopped' etc.!
What exactly happened to your trailer? I am thinking of buying a UniGo with the updated hitch, and trailer for my K1200RS.

I would like to hear about this as well. Various historic issues regarding quality at various times while produced in NZ. Things got 'way worse' when produced in U.S. Now, things may have improved but it would be in your best interest to research the current status and quality to the best of your ability. Great little trailer though. -Bob

Now, things may have improved but it would be in your best interest to research the current status and quality to the best of your ability. -Bob
Bob,
I think I have read about everything that went wrong but I'm like you, "has it been corrected"? That's why I posting this thread, hoping some Uni-Go owners will chime in and speak for the current model condition/suitability. I'm worried about buying a used one until I know which years, model numbers have had all the problems. I doubt if problem model serial numbers are published but I can ask.
Because of the unknown issues regarding past models/serial numbers and hitches I will probably have to buy a new or near new Uni-Go hoping to bypass the problems BUT I'm not sure if all the problems have been corrected, thus the reason for my post.

I considered the Unigo, but ultimately did not purchase it because I could not find any specifics about the problems, or their supposed corrections. Most of the dealers I talked to had stopped ordering them. I ended up getting a hitch for my RT from Bushtec, and a Fulton swivel for a ball application trailer, and ordered a Companion Trailer at the ROT rally in Austin. It is very light, well-made, and stands up on its end in my garage. It also carries my golf clubs with the center insert removed. Google them if you like, they are based in Ft. Worth. :thumb

Back