• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First ride of the season

twins4life

We fired up the RT and R bikes and had breakfast in Marble Falls (Bluebonnet of course), then took 281 down to 71W to Llano (right past Coopers BBQ) then 29W to 337S to I-10 at Junction. On I-10 we got to open up the beemers and run with the 80MPH+ cages; the bikes really feel good at 80MPH. Then 16N at Kerrville (after a lunch of Tex-Mex) to 1323 through Willow, TX (the same as the locally famous Willow Loop) then back to 281N and home. 270 miles total.

The roads ranged from dirt/gravel (side road not on maps that parallels 1323) to sleepy twisties where cages were as far as 10 minutes apart to sweeping vistas to interstates.

The wx was 60F to 70F and perfectly clear skies.

The bikes performed flawlessly (except for my mal adjusted clutch).

What a great start to the 2008 riding season!!!

Last edited:
48 degrees this morning with a steady rain. Snow showers return tomorrow.

Glad to know spring has arrived someplace.
smiley_depressed.gif

0303Daytona132.jpg

BUT, Daytona is less than two weeks off. :dance

Season?

What is this "Season" I keep hearing about? If it is over 33 degrees and dry roads, it is time to ride! Unfortuneatly, it looks like some more wet weather this week here in Central PA, but was able to get out for a bit Sat. as it was a sunny 34.

Just jealous, I'm looking forward to temps in the 60's as well. The problem is they shoot right past and before you know it the temp. is 95 and humid again.

Ride safe!

We fired up the RT and R bikes and had breakfast in Marble Falls (Bluebonnet of course), then took 281 down to 71W to Llano (right past Coopers BBQ) then 29W to 337S to I-10 at Junction. On I-10 we got to open up the beemers and run with the 80MPH+ cages; the bikes really feel good at 80MPH. Then 16N at Kerrville (after a lunch of Tex-Mex) to 1337 through Willow, TX (the same as the locally famous Willow Loop) then back to 281N and home. 270 miles total.

The roads ranged from dirt/gravel (side road not on maps that parallels 1337) to sleepy twisties where cages were as far as 10 minutes apart) to sweeping vistas to interstates.

Glad to see you got the RT back together OK. :thumb Hope to get some dry weather here soon. Good riding...

Glad to see you got the RT back together OK. :thumb Hope to get some dry weather here soon. Good riding...

Thanks! And I got to take my new Shoei full face helmet on it's first ride. Finally found one that fits, it's a XXXL. My says my head is very porous... :dunno

We fired up the RT and R bikes and had breakfast in Marble Falls (Bluebonnet of course), then took 281 down to 71W to Llano (right past Coopers BBQ) then 29W to 337S to I-10 at Junction. On I-10 we got to open up the beemers and run with the 80MPH+ cages; the bikes really feel good at 80MPH. Then 16N at Kerrville (after a lunch of Tex-Mex) to 1332 through Willow, TX (the same as the locally famous Willow Loop) then back to 281N and home. 270 miles total.

The roads ranged from dirt/gravel (side road not on maps that parallels 1332) to sleepy twisties where cages were as far as 10 minutes apart) to sweeping vistas to interstates.

'WoW What a description, that sounded like a great ride.... we had the same in McAllen, just a couple of miles south of you.... ha ha..

We are so LUCKY to live in TEXAS

I have mapped that description in the Z550 .. I will do that ride as soon as I can..

thanks,

Lucky to be in Texas!

Being in Central Texas as well I took the opportunity to go out today for a nice ride, around 270mi or so. It was in the high 50's for most of the ride which was nice.

I took a more northern route of the Hill Country than twins did and went Up FM1431 to Smithwick and caught 1174 north to Lampasas and then 580 over to San Saba. Had lunch at a Texas Stop Sign (Dairy Queen) and then went south 16 to LLano and cut over by Lake Buchanan to Park Road 4 which if you ever get the chance to take is a pretty fun twisty road. Caught 281 South to Marble Falls and then headed back home via 1431 again which is a fun roller-coaster road full of sweepers. :) Felt great to get some miles on the bike.

Not sure if this will work but if so here's the route I took. If not, I took a screenshot and attached as well..

Fun fun fun....would have loved to have gotten over to the Twisted Sisters & the Leakey area but that will have to wait till next time....

Attachments

• Route.jpg
    Route.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
The map is a good idea. That is a great loop, been that way many times. 16 between San Saba and Junction is a GREAT ride, I cant say enough good about 16, it is a bikers dream road. We are planning a Leaky (pronoiunced: "lake-ee") ASAP but I may have to have sinus surgery and a friend that works at a body shop said he would paint the tupperware on my bike for the cost of paint and a case of beer if I take the parts off of the bike. So the bike and myself may be FUBAR for 2-3 weeks.

Attachments

• Marble Falls to Junction.JPG
    Marble Falls to Junction.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 50
Here is the little side road we took that was gravel:

Burnet County Road 307

Attachments

• CR 307.JPG
    CR 307.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 37
Back