• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nuetral Indicater Light Switch

BobZ

Prime Time
Has anyone been successful at removing the spacer between the rear engine mounts in order to remove and replace the Nuetral Light Switch on the transmission underside? A BMW manual says this can be done, but my most trusted airhead guru say I should remove the transmission.

Thanks for some advice.

It can be done pretty easily if you're careful.

Is the switch leaking or is it not functioning? If it's leaking make sure that it's engine oil and it's actually coming from the switch. If it's not working, check the connector along the left side of the frame, then unplug the connectors at the switch and check the switch itself. You want to rule out all other possibilities before attacking the switch.

To remove the spacer...

Put the bike on center stand. I removed the exhaust system so I had room to work, and I recommend it though many will say it's not necessary. Remove the bolt that goes through the spacer. Then, tap the spacer forward, being sure to keep it even and not get it crooked. I used a block of wood so as to not damage the spacer. Once the spacer is far enough forward, it will fall out, or if you haven't removed the crossover muffler, you can turn it and remove it.

To put it back in...

The hardest part will be lining it back with the bolt hole. I started it a little bit low, so I could always tap it up if need be. Round the edges of the spacer just a little bit with a file. I've heard if you freeze it for an hour or two it will be easier to install. Remove from freezer, add a little grease on the ends and tap it forward making sure to keep it straight. Once you can see it through the bolt hole, you'll want to work on lining it up while making sure to keep it straight. You don't want to overshoot the hole.

Thanks for your reply. Actually I had the trans out to lube clutch splines; replaced the switch because of a broken connector and didn't realize it required a washer. (The dealer didn't try to sell me one and kept my old switch which must have had the washer still in place.) We put everything back together but the nuetral light did not work and the trans would only go into first gear. I was able to remove the spacer using a wooden wedge per your idea and once I obtain the washer, I plan on freezing the spacer and am hoping for good luck lining everything back up. Again, thanks for your suggestion, I'm have way there......Bob.

Back