Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fuel Line Quick Release Coupling - a good investment?

Registered User bluegrasspicker's Avatar
    Try beemerboneyard - they have a kit with the clamps and fast shipping.

yes they do break

I dropped my bike at less the 5 miles per hour (slick concrete) and the head hit the ground, breaking the connector. It was a very slow leak and i didn't realize it until 60 miles later, once i got home.

A more reliable connector is worth the $ paid - in my book. although i replaced the broken one with a BMW OEM one. Also loosened the zip-tie that was holding it so tight which i believe may have contributed to the brittle connector breaking.
    It was 4years old.

Hope this helps,

Ksmith57

Bob C
    I ordered the new QD's from Bob's on monday morning, they were at my door Tuesday afternoon.

I was somewhat surprised as the male connector was metal, but the female connector was still the old plastic.

I was AMAZED at how easy the metal part cllicked into place, enough so that I was sure it was going to leak when I started the bike.

I still have an all plastic QD on one line, but not for long. REAL impressed with the Colder metal male connector.

Quote Originally Posted by IAMBOB View Post
    I ordered the new QD's from Bob's on monday morning, they were at my door Tuesday afternoon.

I was somewhat surprised as the male connector was metal, but the female connector was still the old plastic.
    Not unreasonable - I can't recall hearing of the female connector breaking. The male connector is somewhat fragile, due to the design and O ring groove. Had one of those break..

I was AMAZED at how easy the metal part cllicked into place, enough so that I was sure it was going to leak when I started the bike.

I still have an all plastic QD on one line, but not for long. REAL impressed with the Colder metal male connector.
    The ones listed above from Omega are the Colder ones I believe - and the design IS identical to the BMW plastic ones (right down to the Colder logo on the click-tab) - so interchangeability should be excellent.

FWIW - you can buy Viton O rings for about 100/$10.00 if you shop around a bit.. you want what is typically called size "011" in the O-ring world. Get Viton, it's gasoline resistant.

http://secure2.data-comm.com/servlet...011-Rnd/Detail = $7.16/100

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1BYB6 - $7.99/100

Buy 100 and share them with your friends.. (I always carry about 10 in my tank-bag, so I won't need them..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche