• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Fuel Line Quick Release Coupling - a good investment?

A&S BMW sends me email-offers from time to time, the latest being a fuel line quick release coupling that is "Die Cast Zinc and Nickel Plated". Does anyone have any opinions of this being a a good investment or a waste of money?

The reason I'm asking is that I've been led to believe the stock couplings for my 2003 R1150R are a little fragile and could be improved upon.

They can be found here:
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=47556

couplings

In my experience the stock couplings are a little fragile but should hold up well if handled with care when removing and refitting.

The reason I'm asking is that I've been led to believe the stock couplings for my 2003 R1150R are a little fragile and could be improved upon.

None of the fittings on my 2003 and 2004 GS Adventures have failed.

Most are probably failing due to some owners trying to force them together (who knows, maybe even with pliers :rolleyes ) because the O-rings have swollen a bit.

Get a pack of 20 AS568-011 O-rings from your local supplier for $2. With new O-rings, the original couplings just slip together; no force or cursing needed.

There are countless reports on the BMW Sport Touring and Adventure Rider forums of quick disconnect failures. Mine on my 2004 1150R broke spontaneously, but fortunately, I was close to home. The male part of the plastic connector breaks off quite easily. There are many threads on the other forums about different replacements. I replaced mine on both bikes with Omegas. Here is just one link, but there are many other threads if you do a search. I would replace them if I were you. Even BMW now recognizes the plastic ones are crap.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB1&Number=990784&page=0&fpart=1

Quick Disconnector

So does the R1100RT have one or two quick disconnectors? I'm assuming two, it's not my bike.

And I can tell you that those guys do break, with no notice, and suddenly your boot is soaked with fuel.

Couplings

Replace with the Omega stainless before they fail, as mine did on the day the wife and I were planning to go on a long ride. You wont be sorry.:ear

which coupling ???

Do I get the double shut-off, or the single? If it is the single, which way do they install??? :dunno Thanks.

On 2004 RT, how many pairs of connectors would there be (I take it would be two) and what are the fuel line size 1/4", 3/16" etc.

On 2004 RT, how many pairs of connectors would there be (I take it would be two) and what are the fuel line size 1/4", 3/16" etc.

I presume the '04 RT is the same as the '02RT and '04 1150R. It would require two male and two female connectors. The hose inside diameter is 5/16 inch.

Whichever ones you go with....

Mount them opposite directions of each other so that you can hook them back up with out having to remember which hose from the tank goes to which FI.

OK, I broke the male connector, the sleeve ended up inside the female connector and I was dumping fuel all over my driveway (when I tried to put it back together)

Now I want to order the metal connectors but the A&S site says "Allow 2 weeks for us to process your order".. I REALLY don't want to be down and out for 2 weeks awaiting parts. I don't stay down that long for winter.

HELP!

Last edited:
yes they do break

I dropped my bike at less the 5 miles per hour (slick concrete) and the head hit the ground, breaking the connector. It was a very slow leak and i didn't realize it until 60 miles later, once i got home.

A more reliable connector is worth the $ paid - in my book. although i replaced the broken one with a BMW OEM one. Also loosened the zip-tie that was holding it so tight which i believe may have contributed to the brittle connector breaking.
It was 4years old.

Hope this helps,

Ksmith57:dance

I ordered the new QD's from Bob's on monday morning, they were at my door Tuesday afternoon.

I was somewhat surprised as the male connector was metal, but the female connector was still the old plastic.

I was AMAZED at how easy the metal part cllicked into place, enough so that I was sure it was going to leak when I started the bike.

I still have an all plastic QD on one line, but not for long. REAL impressed with the Colder metal male connector.

I ordered the new QD's from Bob's on monday morning, they were at my door Tuesday afternoon.

I was somewhat surprised as the male connector was metal, but the female connector was still the old plastic.
Not unreasonable - I can't recall hearing of the female connector breaking. The male connector is somewhat fragile, due to the design and O ring groove. Had one of those break..
I was AMAZED at how easy the metal part cllicked into place, enough so that I was sure it was going to leak when I started the bike.

I still have an all plastic QD on one line, but not for long. REAL impressed with the Colder metal male connector.
The ones listed above from Omega are the Colder ones I believe - and the design IS identical to the BMW plastic ones (right down to the Colder logo on the click-tab) - so interchangeability should be excellent.

FWIW - you can buy Viton O rings for about 100/$10.00 if you shop around a bit.. you want what is typically called size "011" in the O-ring world. Get Viton, it's gasoline resistant.

http://secure2.data-comm.com/servlet/RBIS/-strse-23495/O-dsh-Ring-Viton-AS568A-dsh-011-Rnd/Detail = $7.16/100

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1BYB6 - $7.99/100

Buy 100 and share them with your friends.. (I always carry about 10 in my tank-bag, so I won't need them..)

Back