Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: N. California to E. Tennessee in July

N. California to E. Tennessee in July

Plan to go from SF to Gatlinberg in mid July...any must see spots on the way ? Any suggestions...thinking ARCHES NP in Utah. Otherwise open to suggestions and anyone joining the ride.

K1300 GT and K1200 RS

Take lots of pictures and post them here as your in for a visual treat.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA charter club #5
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Looking for the unusual. How about the world's largest ball of twine. http://www.kansastravel.org/balloftwine.htm

Give yourself a little time in Arkansas. Go to http://www.arkansas.com/motorcycling/ for a guide to some of the better rides in the state. It will be hot in July but the roads are worth it.

R/Jim

M.T. Liggett

I highly recommend a stop at M.T. Liggett's sculpture gallery

This place is in the middle of nowhere Kansas, I never miss it on a cross-country tour.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e || '07 Xchallenge || '14 Grom

N. California to E. Tennessee in July

Deals Gap. Do it once if you are near and have the time.
    AKA The Dragon, Rt. 129 South of Maryville, Tennessee (South of Knoxville, TN).

Go on a weekday, as early in the day as possible. Ride solo (1 Bike) in both directions. Wave the faster guys on and stop and let the slow pokes move on if nowhere to pass safely. Ride your own ride. Great fun. This place is why motorcycles have a 2nd gear (and brakes).

Store at turnaround for "Stuff"and as I recall after eating a BBQ from a food truck across from the store up on the hill, saying "that was a real BBQ ! Excellent !". I hope its the same Vendor, as it was the real thing.

Ride both ways again if you liked it. 11 miles +- each direction.

For all I know, you could be going there to break the Fastest Record, which in the old days was held by a Brain Surgeon from Maryville . A local. How would you like to have this place in your backyard!

Charlie
    Last edited by 72r60/7; 03-25-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Mammoth Cave in Kentucky
    George
    R1200RT. Previous K1200RS, K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

GeorgeR1200RT............ Mammoth Cave in Kentucky
    Excellent suggestion.

Especially for July. Very cool. Both kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by sailnride View Post
    Plan to go from SF to Gatlinberg in mid July...any must see spots on the way ? Any suggestions...thinking ARCHES NP in Utah. Otherwise open to suggestions and anyone joining the ride.

K1300 GT and K1200 RS
    A couple of questions for you....

- do you like to camp or stay in hotels?

- how much time do you have?

- seeing your bikes, you're not looking for gravel roads... but how do you feel about less-than-perfect-pavement?

- do you like supertwisties?

For instance.... here is a nice 2-3 day ride from SFO to Zion...

Quote Originally Posted by sailnride View Post

K1300 GT and K1200 RS

If your going to Arches then why not go to Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef NP's as well, absolutely beautiful
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

You and other folks traveling through the NW Georgia/Chattanooga area are welcome to stop by and stay for however long to rest up and recoop......lots of the actifities that folks are talking about over here in the Tennessee/Kentucky/Georgia/North Carolina are pretty close by.......anyway, stop by, am in the book......God bless.....Dennis

If you go across I-40 through AR, get off in Ozark and go north on Hwy 23 (Pig Trail) for an hour or so, then wind your way back down. Great stuff.

If I'm allowed to make two suggestions, I would say that if you are even causally interested in motorcycle museums, Barber Museum, East of Birmingham, Alabama, is absolutely one of the finest in the world.
    This just goes to show you what (only a guess ) $500 million, +-, will do if you are a Motorcycle Enthusiast and Visionary. Thank you Mr. Barber.
    Charlie

lagator
    If you make it to that area try to get to the Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley N.C. About another hour from the "Dragon" and lots of great vintage motorcycles, cars and equipment of all types. Well worth the trip. Tell Dale that I sent you.

Quote Originally Posted by lagator View Post
    If you make it to that area try to get to the Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley N.C. About another hour from the "Dragon" and lots of great vintage motorcycles, cars and equipment of all types. Well worth the trip. Tell Dale that I sent you.
    I'm going to Fontanna early. I'll try to make it there. I'll tell em Gator sent me. Thanks for the oysters last weekend. You and Wanda are great people.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA charter club #5
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)