• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mamou Mardi Gras

ChicotDave

Fat Tuesday in Mamou is typical of how small towns across Louisiana celebrate. Men in costume ride horses in rural areas to gather ingredients to make a gumbo. A cajun band in a wagon follows the riders on their daylong journey playing french music. The task is to catch a live chicken. Neighbors will raise a flag if they want to donate a chicken and the riders will converge on the property and the owner will release the chicken and the men will chase and catch the chicken. This is complicated by the fact that the most men are drunk by this time.

The ride ends in downtown Mamou when the riders come in to display thier catch (in the pic one is raising a chicken). Then they drink some more and dance to live bands. And typical of a New Orleans, you may see some girls do what they do to get beads. Sorry no pics of the girls.

Allot of Harleys but only one Beemer.

Thanks Bikerfish

mardigras08025.jpg

Fat Tuesday in Mamou is typical of how small towns across Louisiana celebrate. Men in costume ride horses in rural areas to gather ingredients to make a gumbo. A cajun band in a wagon follows the riders on their daylong journey playing french music. The task is to catch a live chicken. Neighbors will raise a flag if they want to donate a chicken and the riders will converge on the property and the owner will release the chicken and the men will chase and catch the chicken. This is complicated by the fact that the most men are drunk by this time.

The ride ends in downtown Mamou when the riders come in to display thier catch (in the pic one is raising a chicken). Then they drink some more and dance to live bands. And typical of a New Orleans, you may see some girls do what they do to get beads. Sorry no pics of the girls.

Allot of Harleys but only one Beemer.

Thanks Bikerfish

mardigras08025.jpg
Re: Your tag line...Keep a fire burning in your eye,
Pay attention to the open sky.

Perhaps a better world is drawing near,
Just as easily it could all disapear,
Along w/ whatever meaning you may have found.
Don't let the uncertainty turn you around, go on and make a joyful sound.

Jackson Brown
'06 R1200ST

After New Orleans on June 6 and 7 we head up to Mamou and then on to Houston. Although not nearly as opportune a time as you present, I am sure that we will have an interesting time as we make a short visit there. -Bob

While in Mamou you must stop in Fred's Lounge. On a Saturday morning I was in there drinking cold Bud's from a 10oz can. It was 10 am and I was on a bicycle trip through the area. I had a blast.

Back