• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Newbie has questions

BAClark

I have never been to a BMWMOA Rally and will be camping using the Mayberry Sherpa service. Does anyone have advice on showers, swimming, meals and other such things for this Rally site?

I have never been to a BMWMOA Rally and will be camping using the Mayberry Sherpa service. Does anyone have advice on showers, swimming, meals and other such things for this Rally site?

Showers: Showers trailers are provided. Best to go at off hours and avoid the rush.

Swimming - no information here.

Meals: will be many on site providers of all manner of goodies. Avoid the rush hours.

Things to do: First thing would be to sit down in a quiet place and read the rally program cover to cover with a pencil in hand. Better yet; bring a handful of sticky flags to mark programs you will want to see.

be here now

Tho' it may not be for you, my advice, besides agreeing w PB above, is to kind of take it as it comes. Some of my fondest memories of The National are things like all the guys' comments in the ice-cold showers in the school gym, or when the storm blew in and blew down many of our tents in Missoula a few years ago. Some years back there was a guy trailering a 20 foot long fake replica of a rocket addressed to the ayatollah. One nite I found myself having a beer w a guy who plays in the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. The next day I watched a guy show his brother how to adjust the valves on his airhead in front of their tent. Plan as you might you won't be able to keep up with all the great, funny, helpful, interesting, weird, delightful people and experiences you'll chance upon.

Because of work committments I can't attend this year, but man! do I envy you. Ride safe and enjoy! See you at the next one.

BAClark, welcome to the MOA!

Paul and 26667 put it right on the mark. I'd add: bring an extra soap (in case, like me, you forget to take the one that you brought with you and then you have to beg or borrow a spare from a bud) and get one of those little, packable super absorbent camping towels. They're great :thumb

Some good answers followed your questions. Some additional info.....there is a city pool (free admission) and also a Rec Center, which includes free weights, basketball court, water slide park for a $4.00/day admission. Here's a pic of the city pool....sometimes a wait due to the good price :D Here's a link for the rec center, but their prices go up in the summer. (not 2.50) http://www.ccprd.com/

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 174
this may sound completely nuts, but:

make sure you bring a bathing suit if you plan on going swimming. at Lima in 05' i tried swimming in the swimming area at a local park. my friend chace and i were not allowed to swim cause we had shorts, not a bathing suit.

the woman at the gate said it was due to "gang problems"

probably not a problem in Gilette, but then again, i didn't think it'd be something i'd ever hear in the middle of the corn fields of western ohio either!

welcome aboard, use this forum to keep updated on the fun.

26667 made some good points. There is literally more to do than one can humanly fit into 72 hours. Plan for some events / seminars, but free time to roam is rarely a wasted effort.

I 'roamed' quite a bit in West Bend, and was never bored. Vendors alone can consume large blocks of time, even if you're not shopping for anything in particular.

I spent several hundred dollars at the West Bend Rally on things I hadn't realized I couldn't live without!

The 'book' you will be provided with upon registration is your bible - study it, refer to it, and take it home safe as an excellent momento of the visit.

Welcome

Welcome to the forum. Remind me to show you the program from last year's rally when you visit on the 9th. Marc and Susan will be here and they have been to many more rallies than I have and will help fill you in.

Holly

You might also consider volunteering for a shift at one of the many volunteer opportunities. It can be a fun way to spend a few hours and meet fellow riders.

Thanks for the great advice

WOW I think tjis is going to be fun. I have my tent booked and starting to think about a route. I really appreciate all the great advice and hope to meet some of you some day. Yes Holly I will be at your place on the 10th and will have lots of questions for Marc and Sue.

Back