• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Photo Assignment 02/09/08

Damn, Santa, you sure take great pictures.

All three are wonderful (even sans BMWs) but #98 really grabs me. I like a photo with an unexpected or otherwise incongruous orientation. The exposures in #99 and #100 are just spot on. The snow is bordering on overexposed, but the result is the bright white we see with our eyes rather than the dull gray the camera wants to produce. And your colors are always so vivid and rich. Really, really nice stuff.

And FWIW, it's never too late. I'm glad people are still posting and I'm sure others will enjoy looking at, or even commenting on, the late submissions.

Feedback IIIa

snow_diego.jpg

I like this photo submitted by Jackie. It's so much more interesting that it would have been had the horse not been included. It is somehow colder when considering the horse.

It's a classic example of snow underexposure, too. The lightmeter is fooled by the reflection of the snow. As a result, it underexposes the snow and renders it gray and the horse in near silhouette. By opening up one or two stops (+1 or +2 EV) the snow would be white(r) and the horse's face, visible.

Something to shoot for before the snow melts. A successful winter-themed photo nonetheless.

Question on exposure

250596424_qaSMS-L.jpg

Hi Tom you asked about the exposure etc.
It was a D80 with the 18-200 VR Lense with the flash turned off. It was at 95mm 142mm equivalnet. The exposure was 1/60 at 400 ASA. I couldn't help the head I had to take the shots from my seat in the Arena. Thanks for keeping this going! I just got back from Hawaii, collecting my 50th state on a motorcycle. I will after I get the pictures sorted do a ride report. I have 450 alone of whales. There must be a few good ones in there.

Winter Flowers in NE Florida

Canon XT test shot with new Tammy 28-300 in local park.

alan.

Attachments

• winterflowers.jpg
    winterflowers.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 35
250596424_qaSMS-L.jpg

Hi Tom you asked about the exposure etc.
It was a D80 with the 18-200 VR Lense with the flash turned off. It was at 95mm 142mm equivalnet. The exposure was 1/60 at 400 ASA. I couldn't help the head I had to take the shots from my seat in the Arena. Thanks for keeping this going! I just got back from Hawaii, collecting my 50th state on a motorcycle. I will after I get the pictures sorted do a ride report. I have 450 alone of whales. There must be a few good ones in there.

Thanks, Bob.

Many would argue that 1/250 sec. is the slowest you could handhold this shot given your focal length. If this was handheld, I'd say your VR is working just fine, thank you very much. It also explains the slight motion in her hands. It's a great capture.

Congrats on your 50th state. That's quite an accomplishment. I rode for a day or two in Hawaii, but I've only got 16 states, I think.

I'll look for that ride report--sounds interesting. Awfully hard to take bad pictures there, isn't it?

Adsinger:

Welcome! That's a beautiful shot. It's a pretty strong endorsement for Tamron as well.

Be fun to play with the exposure on this. I'd like it a bit darker, I think, but I notice that I have a tendency to underexpose. Nice image no matter how you slice it.

Post early and post often.

About that shutter speed

Thanks, Bob.

Many would argue that 1/250 sec. is the slowest you could handhold this shot given your focal length. If this was handheld, I'd say your VR is working just fine, thank you very much. It also explains the slight motion in her hands. It's a great capture.

Congrats on your 50th state. That's quite an accomplishment. I rode for a day or two in Hawaii, but I've only got 16 states, I think.

I'll look for that ride report--sounds interesting. Awfully hard to take bad pictures there, isn't it?

It was handheld from a sitting position. In a previous obsession I was a Competitive Pistol Shooter. Another Friend with the same previous obsession also shares the camera obsession and we have found that the same attributes that lead to being a good pistol shot lead to better than the standard ability to hold hand held. Breath control, right amount of grip pressure and a smooth release.

Back