• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Photo Assignment 02/09/08

Great White North

The sun came out; so perhaps it will warm up. Maybee not enough.

Attachments

• DSCN1322.jpg
    DSCN1322.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
The Cosmic Wind Locked in Ice

Taken near the small boat harbor (such as it is) here in Anchorage this morning. We have had about 10 days of sub-zero weather lately. It was minus 2 degrees when I took this photo at noon. On the plus side, the skies have been sunny and we're finally getting more hours of daylight as we climb out of the long dark days of winter.

Anchorage International Airport is located on that land in the far distance is . The brownish haze is pollution. It can be very noticeable here in the winter.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Attachments

• IMG_0056 Cosmic Wind & Ice 6x9 72dpi.jpg
    IMG_0056 Cosmic Wind & Ice 6x9 72dpi.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 105
Clear Winter days, crazy warm, perfect to take the old bike for a ride to the top of a mountain. :)
_MG_3596.jpg

This photo I really like, perhaps 90% or so because of the fabulous subject -- my all-time favorite motorcycle -- a slash-2 :) However, it does need Hella signals and Albert mirrors instead of those Bumms, and could use a 3.5" rear tire and painted hubcaps, rather than stainless. (Yeah, I know -- picky, picky, picky.)

The composition is a bit unusual in that the motorcycle is pointed out of the photograph, not into it, drawing your eye away from the hill and cows. But, that's o.k. I like it anyway.

As regards the "Great White North" thermometer photo, I offer this photo taken here in Tucson this afternoon:

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 99
Pyramid Lake

253263830_duiN6-L.jpg

I had high hopes for this week's assignment, but I'm left disappointed with my meager effort. Normally, Bakersfield is socked in for the winter, devoid of any direct sunlight and blanketed in chronic cold, wet fog; however, this winter, we've been cursed/blessed with constant sunshine and temps soaring into the 60s. I've taken some nice pictures, but none that really say, "winter."

I had to go to a conference last weekend and snapped this shot of Pyramid Lake, just south of the Grapevine. Taken with my Canon S80. Contrast is too low, exacerbated by the fact that I was shooting almost directly into the sun.

We feel your pain, Tom.:dance

This winter has been the best weatherwise we've ever had

- nestled in the Big Bend Country of Texas. Only snow was one morning after Thanksgiving.

Voni
sMiling

Both are great shots, but I really love this second one, Dave.

In this view both the cow and the BMW are heading out of the frame. That provides some compositional balance. I like this shot better than the first one you posted. It has some serenity.

In the ideal world, I think I would have preferred them both coming into the frame. But, sometimes, you take what you can get! And this time you done got good.

(But, darn, those hubcaps are too shiny:))

I like the first one better, but would have opted to put the bike on the right side of the picture and looked down the road on the left. The cows don't add to shot but I think the road would have. Either way the bike steals the show. :dunno

I like both of Dave's shots just the way they are (minus the little bit of cow peeking in on the right edge of the frame). They may be breaking a couple design rules, but as is they aren't cliche.

In this view both the cow and the BMW are heading out of the frame. That provides some compositional balance. I like this shot better than the first one you posted. It has some serenity.

In the ideal world, I think I would have preferred them both coming into the frame. But, sometimes, you take what you can get! And this time you done got good.

(But, darn, those hubcaps are too shiny:))

Thanks. And I hate the stainless steel hub caps more than you know.

But I've got an R100 in a bunch of pieces right now, so happily operating motorcycles have to wait for a bit. :D

Not my photo, but the results of yesterday's efforts:

252993904_9J8LM-M.jpg

I like the first one better, but would have opted to put the bike on the right side of the picture and looked down the road on the left. The cows don't add to shot but I think the road would have. Either way the bike steals the show. :dunno

I tried this, but didn't really care for it. :dunno

252627990_xhweo-L.jpg

I see what you mean, getting the bike broad side is a lot of its appeal.

Yeah. I tried getting a view from a slightly higher perspective, almost framing the bike from above, but I couldn't get enough of the mustard blossoms in to really make the picture interesting.

Back