• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photos: Free Association COMMENTARY

Nice, you show off.... :p

Just a guy standing on a bridge or in a boat with a camera with a long image-stabilized lens watching airplanes fly by. Nothing more complicated than that :)

I do love the shadows cast by the smoke trails in the last photo... now that's a cool photo if I don't say so myself!

Last edited:
126690756_oU3nJ-L.jpg

I love this shot.
It reminds me of Idaho, where I lived within throwing distance of the military side of the airfield, amid the sunsets supreme.
Great shot!

I love this shot.
It reminds me of Idaho, where I lived within throwing distance of the military side of the airfield, amid the sunsets supreme.
Great shot!

When I was a kid growing up in Southern California, we'd see the exhaust plumes of the rockets the Air Force and NASA launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base. I don't know if the guvmint still does that down there, or if the columns of smoke are still visible from the L.A. basin.

Wish I had been old enough to think about photographing the views I remember from my childhood.

That, and the brush fires that came up to our back yards - with helicopters landing in our cul-de-sac and our street flooded with fire trucks.

Fun times in SoCal.

_xy-1406404_1

I love this shot too.
But I cropped it for better effect I think.
Forgive me. :bow

_xy-1406404_1

I love this shot too.
But I cropped it for better effect I think.
Forgive me. :bow

no

:D

I had actually thought about that but after printing it out and editing out the sign post I liked it better with the top part left in as I liked seeing both parts of the reflection and the cars in the background don't really stand out as much as I thought. Its the pond outside where I work. I also noticed when looking at the large print I have in my office that the muskrats that I thought had just moved in have been there since winter when this was taken. You can just see their lodge in the middle of the reeds, the little bit of white is the top of their den.

RM

no

I had actually thought about that but after printing it out and editing out the sign post I liked it better with the top part left in as I liked seeing both parts of the reflection and the cars in the background don't really stand out as much as I thought. Its the pond outside where I work. I also noticed when looking at the large print I have in my office that the muskrats that I thought had just moved in have been there since winter when this was taken. You can just see their lodge in the middle of the reeds, the little bit of white is the top of their den.

RM

I just like hearing a grown man wax wonders over muskrat. :stick

I just like hearing a grown man wax wonders over muskrat. :stick

yeah, well I like anymules, got a problem wit dat? :D

(I was labeled "nature boy" in middle school by some of the kids that I didn't get along with, they thought it was insult, what they didn't realize was that I didn't! Ha Ha!)

its actually pretty kool to have the pond right there at work, we have all kinds of critters living in/around it, I esp. like to watch the crane strut around the pond when he drops by to catch lunch. I keep thinking he should be wearing a long-tailed black coat and top hat because they have such a stately walk. Each time he catches something I want to clap and shout "Good One!" Ha Ha..

RM
aka
nature boy...:D

It's rare that we get to see Spirit's work. :stick
I wonder where was the photo taken?

Thats what my bride told me... I told her I looked like that when we were young.. She didn't buy it... I'll try her again in a few years as her memory fails....

A comment on the posting in #1234.

While the photos can speak for themselves, many times the associations can't. As you can read in this thread. In addition some posters are curious about where the place is in the pic.

If the association is strained I label it. If it is of an architectural/natural unrecognized wonder, I label it.

Exclusion of text entirely perhaps does not serve the viewer/poster. With that in mind I suggest allowing labels for the benefit of the viewers.

My .02.

A comment on the posting in #1234.

While the photos can speak for themselves, many times the associations can't. As you can read in this thread. In addition some posters are curious about where the place is in the pic.

If the association is strained I label it. If it is of an architectural/natural unrecognized wonder, I label it.

Exclusion of text entirely perhaps does not serve the viewer/poster. With that in mind I suggest allowing labels for the benefit of the viewers.

My .02.

I suggest that's what this thread is for.
How do you know a location isn't recognised, unless someone expresses it here anyway?

Treat the image association with any degree of thought and then it becomes more worthwhile. Just showing a tree because the pic before was atree isn't an association, it's a duplication. Likewise adding a picture with the only association being that yours is a picture too will be pointless.

It's associations...thought provoking and not always immediately obvious is part of it.

Keep the labels where they belong, on the inside of clothes. And keep the explanations of your cunning genius to this thread. I suggest.

It's associations...thought provoking and not always immediately obvious is part of it.

I share this opinion. If the association is so tenuous that it needs an explanation, it's not an association. That's part of the "game," if you will. It's a bit like having to explain a joke. If you have to explain it, it ain't funny.

Having a commentary thread gives us ample time and space to comment, question, explain, etc.

The thread is yours, however, and you must do what you must do. I sure do enjoy it and am amazed at its popularity.

Have you ever clicked on the number of respondents? It lists them in order of frequency of response. That's pretty interesting, too.

What fun!

My compliments to 7557##, for having an image on Free Association that Torag didn't add to, for as we stand, at least a 1/2 day.

I hope Torags isn't ill or something, as in a world of uncertainty, Torag replying with an image of his own, within a fraction of a moment, was one of the constants I found stabilised society. Four Torag images equalled a hard boiled egg, three kept the yolk runny...

I knew I could rely on you to come up with the goods.

Tell me, have any of your pics been duplicated yet, to meet the criteria of the association with the prior picture?

Back