• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Long Tours with F800ST

Mine did it eight times on 5 trips, then over and over again, after 1.5 hours on the dyno.

Off course several attempts at repairs betweenthose 5 trips were made. Nothing worked.

Last edited:
Mine did it eight times on 5 trips, then over and over again, after 1.5 hours on the dyno.

Off course several attempts at repairs betweenthose 5 trips were made. Nothing worked.

Do you know what, if anything, BMW did to correct this fault in subsequent models?

BMW looked at my bike, repaired the fuel, the air, and all codes, and said "we don't know". They kept at it and I am certain mine was not the only one. Any more I cannot say.

Last edited:
AZ-J, your comments are so cryptic and obtuse that I have decided to place little credence upon them. I have had zero such problems with my 2011 F800ST, but the ghost of fear remains upon hearing your tale of woe. What year was your F800ST? If a mysterious problem existed I would hope it would be corrected in subsequent years.
Cheers.

To heck with you, Pepeps, can you not understand the meaning of a confidentiality provision!

Also, you must not know how to read, I never had an F800ST!

Good luck with yours!

az-j, your comments are so cryptic and obtuse that i have decided to place little credence upon them. I have had zero such problems with my 2011 f800st, but the ghost of fear remains upon hearing your tale of woe. What year was your f800st? If a mysterious problem existed i would hope it would be corrected in subsequent years.
Cheers.

+1

Same to you, mervingry, you also cannot understand the meaning of a confidentiality provision!

Also, you must not know how to read, I never had an F800ST!

But I will end this with this. BMW has not changed the 800cc enough to satisfy me. I'd not buy another one.

wyoming-montana

Dan,

Care to share your route through Wyoming and Montana, with any recommendations?

PM if necessary. It's a trip that is on my radar.

Rick

You all have no idea? Any of you post a picture of your F800 here?

I started that thread, because then I had an F800S. Now, my R1200S is lighter, faster, and stops quicker.

Oh, and I no longer have that 800cc engine to fret over.

Like I said, enjoy yours.

Last edited:
F800 ST fortouring

I added HeliBar riser and Sargeant World seat to wife's F800 ST and it is a delight to put in 400 mile days on. Smooth and light with plenty of power for traveling with lots of gear.:wave

Seat

Stebun: I've heard the Sergent seat is very good. Would you say it's a great improvment over the stock? The stock seat wasn't too bad, but after a 750 mile day, I could feel the pressure points.

So it seems AZ-J had an F-S not and F-ST a difference (different bikes built off same design) . It seems that his bike had enough of a problem BMW bought it back (not a small thing) but that there were strings attached about what he would be saying. ( A far condition perhaps) and one he is honestly trying to uphold ( integrity). That he thought enough of the dealer and marque to buy another model and seems very happy. Why is that so hard to gather?

How many miles to a tank full??

I'm looking at an F800ST and wondering,,, How many actual miles can you get out of a tank of gas, using super and riding 75 mph or so (along interstate)? Currently riding my K75RT and get 200 - 205 miles before going on reserve. Getting older and thinking about a lighter bike.

Also do your research on windshied, bar riser and seats. Mirror extenders are a must for the 800 st. A lot of information on web site F800 rider.com

So it seems AZ-J had an F-S not and F-ST a difference (different bikes built off same design) . It seems that his bike had enough of a problem BMW bought it back (not a small thing) but that there were strings attached about what he would be saying. ( A far condition perhaps) and one he is honestly trying to uphold ( integrity). That he thought enough of the dealer and marque to buy another model and seems very happy. Why is that so hard to gather?

You're right. I went back to the beginning and read all of his posts again.

AZ-J -I apologize.

campbellforest, I get just over 200 miles per tank. I use medium grade. I have run out of fuel twice and hope to avoid a third, so I don't push it. I tend to get 56 mpg and tend to cruise in the 70-80 mph range. 52 mpg on the racetrack as a novice with no luggage bags. It's a sweet ride. Very difficult to keep it at the legal speed limit.
I'm 60 and not a big guy. The bike is awesome and has plenty of power for me.

We did it!

My wife and I rode two up Orlando to San Francisco on our 2008 F800ST, twice.
I rode the same route solo in four and a half days; no problem.
We are both in our late 70's.

Back