• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Headlight Modulator

paulsibek

After years of riding I thought I'd take my safety to a higher level and bought a Kissan headlight modulator.

I've seen these on the road and that is why I bought one, because I've seen these.

Installation was a snap and I started to notice a difference immediately.

On a main street in my town, cars leaving parking lots would not creep out as I approached. They stopped because they didn't know what I was with the flashing headlight.

Cars stoped turning left in front of me (you know how they cut it close...), I see the driver see me and wait. I'm not deluding myself, I've ridden mc's and bicycles in three major cities for extended periods and you develop a sense of this stuff.

Splitting lanes is better, I see people turing their heads to get a bettter look. People at lights ask me if my headlight is working properly or not, I just smile and say I'll look into it (pun...)

My wife says it's obnoxious, but I'm convinced that it is making me obvious and that's all that counts.

I would recommend carrying the Dept. of Tranportation paperwork, available at Kisan or on the web, as I've been stopped by LEO's. I show them the paperwork and casually mention that ignorance of the law is no excuse. They take it well, including my CHP friend who was adamant that HM's were not legal.

This is the best $100 I've spent. After years of riding I thought I'd take my safety to a higher level and bought a Kissan headlight modulator.

I've seen these on the road and that is why I bought one, because I've seen these.

Installation was a snap and I started to notice a difference immediately.

On a main street in my town, cars leaving parking lots would not creep out as I approached. They stopped because they didn't know what I was with the flashing headlight.

Cars stoped turning left in front of me (you know how they cut it close...), I see the driver see me and wait. I'm not deluding myself, I've ridden mc's and bicycles in three major cities for extended periods and you develop a sense of this stuff.

Splitting lanes is better, I see people turing their heads to get a bettter look. People at lights ask me if my headlight is working properly or not, I just smile and say I'll look into it (pun...)

My wife says it's obnoxious, but I'm convinced that it is making me obvious and that's all that counts.

I would recommend carrying the Dept. of Tranportation paperwork, available at Kisan or on the web, as I've been stopped by LEO's. I show them the paperwork and casually mention that ignorance of the law is no excuse. They take it well, including my CHP friend who was adamant that HM's were not legal.

This is the best $100 I've spent.

Kisan modulator

I agree with Paul's comments re: the Kisan unit-have had it on "Igor" ('82 RS) for two years.

One of several age-old discussions/threads/barley therapy-safety equipment or not! I know of people that still suggest the safer way to ride is with headlights OFF!!! Anyway, my experience is similar, the modulator doesn't STOP people from doing stupid things in front of me, but it certainly has REDUCED the idiotic/"accidental" incursions of MY roadspace.

Here in Central Florida, at least once a month, one of our many "illegal" drivers pulls over, afraid that I'm a LEO (INS ofcourse :))

For those who haven't checked out the gear--only the high beam modulates when the photo-cell detects daylight; after darkness it reverts to a normal high beam. Low beam is ALWAYS available should youwant to cease modulating ie. traffic light, very benign traffic conditions, etc.

Buy it/use it!!!

As daylight fades to darkness and the modulator modulates, stops and then starts again (like it was possessed) you really
start to find out who the paranoid are :)

Ian

My goal is to arrive home in the same condition that I left. I don't believe that drawing attention to myself (becoming a target) is the best way to do that. While the headlight modulator is effective at getting other drivers to look in your direction, remember a basic fact of driving: people tend to drive where they look. For that reason, I don't want them looking at me.
I may just be paranoid, but I haven't had an accident in 35 years and I want to keep it that way.

I had mine installed at my 600 hour check. On the way home, I had a car pull over and actually wave me by. Couldn't believe it. People really notice these things.

I think its great but I dont use it all the time because I think it can be obnoxious, for example, sitting stopped at a red light behind a couple of other cars. I usually keep it off in town unless I am approaching an intersection or driveway. On the highway I have it on most of the time.

Also really like my flashing/LED taillight from GizmoMill.

jentine said:
My goal is to arrive home in the same condition that I left. I don't believe that drawing attention to myself (becoming a target) is the best way to do that. While the headlight modulator is effective at getting other drivers to look in your direction, remember a basic fact of driving: people tend to drive where they look. For that reason, I don't want them looking at me.
I may just be paranoid, but I haven't had an accident in 35 years and I want to keep it that way.

Jim, I think we all share your goal.. but can I assume you've never used a headlight-modulator?

I have only found one person out of probably 50-60 who have used one - who removed the modulator. ALL the other people have noticed a great reduction in intrusion into our space when riding by other motor vehicles.

They just plain work...

Mod You Latin'

Jim & Threadies..................

Five years ago I could have said the same thing....."I've never had an accident," except that I had my first at year 38!! Not a terrible smash-a mildly confused squid came right at me with his rice rocket, at night, modulator was steady, headlight dimmed for oncoming vehicle (which turned out to be a motorcycle in MY lane!!

My modulator use-"Off": low density interstate traffic, stopped at lights;
traffic threat "Green."

"ON": high density highway traffic, ALWAYS in town, with 2 way traffic.

I fully appreciate the need to be "nice" to people, etc. IMHO driving (2 or 4 wheel) is becoming (?) a survival excercise. Bring it on gents..............Shep

Dazzle them with something

I have found that the wall o' lights does a good job of getting folks out of the passing lane. I have 55watts x 5 on all day every day. I then switch the driving lights to come on with the high beam at night. Since I went to this setup, I have seen a major reduction in stupid activity in front of me. I also have the roadway and the edges illuminated for 15 seconds ahead of me at night while riding 70.

Cliffy missed the extra advantage of riding in front of me, the extra heat generated by all that light.

Target Fixation

People make strong arguments for target fixation. But I think this is not hard evidence, similar to the "full face helmets break your neck" argument.

My obsevations of the effect my headlight modulator has on on-coming traffic is positive. According to the Hurt Report the most common 2 vehicle accident, motorcycle and car, it the car turning left in front of the motorcycle. I haven't even had a car creep out in the two years I have had mine. I have seen cars that have had the intention of turning left stop in mid turn and I see that it prevents cars from pulling out of drive ways of supermarkets etc.

People do change lanes out of my way every day and that's OK with me too.

Every day it's obvious that people see me. At lights and stop signs I turn my wheel so it's not pointing directly into their mirro but I don't turn it orr. Set and forget. They see me and that's the point.

IMHO- the headlight modulator is the best piece of safety equipment out there. Second only to the helmet/jacket/pants/gloves/boots.

OK, I'm sold

Paul Sibek said:
People make strong arguments for target fixation. But I think this is not hard evidence, similar to the "full face helmets break your neck" argument.

My obsevations of the effect my headlight modulator has on on-coming traffic is positive. According to the Hurt Report the most common 2 vehicle accident, motorcycle and car, it the car turning left in front of the motorcycle. I haven't even had a car creep out in the two years I have had mine. I have seen cars that have had the intention of turning left stop in mid turn and I see that it prevents cars from pulling out of drive ways of supermarkets etc.

People do change lanes out of my way every day and that's OK with me too.

Every day it's obvious that people see me. At lights and stop signs I turn my wheel so it's not pointing directly into their mirro but I don't turn it orr. Set and forget. They see me and that's the point.

IMHO- the headlight modulator is the best piece of safety equipment out there. Second only to the helmet/jacket/pants/gloves/boots.

Where can I get one and how hard is it to install on my '03 K1200GT?

HM installation

KISSAN is the manufacturer, Google them and you will get their web site.

Installation is a snap. The unit plugs in between the headlight and the headlight plug inside the headlight shell. The photo cell is installed on the outside of the headlight and the connecting wire will fit through the headlight and the headlight ring.
That's it.

Cyclegadgets has em : Linky

And here is the chart on their home page so you can look up the one you need : Linky

I also found them for about the same price at stores local to me, just by calling around.

Thanks!

einnar said:
Cyclegadgets has em : Linky

QUOTE]

Jeez! I shoulda thought about that. Sean Franklin, owner of Cyclegadgets.com, is a good friend and a member of the Indianapolis BMW Club. I'll just ride up to his store in Plymouth, IN and do the deal.
Thanks for the info.

NP.. Tell him how much I appreciate being able to pay with paypal on his site, and all that goes with it.

Call Kisan direct at 1-888-464-5472, and ask them.
We had to do that for a friends bike that wasn't listed either. They were very helpful.

Back