Thread: New tires for my '88 R100RT: suggestions?

Moscow, ID

New tires for my '88 R100RT: suggestions?

The Metzler factory home site recommends a ME Laser 33 front and a ME 77 rear tire for my bike, but I have worn out one and a half sets (Metzlers came on the bike, which I bought used, and when they wore out, I replaced them with Metzlers.) of Metzlers and I am not happy with the wear. I have been cruizing the net, looking for evaluations and recommendations, but sure would appreciate real recommendations from someone who has switched to Dunlops or Bridgestones. I won't buy Michelins---screw the French, I don't buy their wine or cheese anymore, either!

Left Coast Canada
    Still eat American fries,or are they off the list?How about Canadian back bacon?
    Tires..I put Bridgestones on my R 75,they were OK.

I went thru 2 Metzler me33's on my 91 RT. They wore just fine and were very good in the rain, but I have come to believe that the tread is so busy that it picks up nails and screws and thereby allows the rear to catch them a penetrating angles. I have 7 bikes and was only getting punctures on the 91 R100RT. I have just changed to michelins, no flats yet.

North Florida
    Dunlop K491

These appear to be the best all around high mileage tires for these bikes. I was very pleased with the K591's (no longer made) I wore out but was not happy with the mileage on them. The 491's have the same performance (for me - no speed demon, here) and have worn well so far.

'02 R1150R
    '88 R100RS

You're gonna have to boycott these brands too......
    The company's brands include Michelin, BF Goodrich, Uniroyal, and Cavalier.

I just bought a new Michelin MAC50E front for my R100RS. I think my last Michelin came from Spain.....OOPS!