• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

CS or R100?

JOHNP

JohnP
Following on an earlier post, my '84 serial number is 617XXXX, putting it outside the 618XXXX range for a true U.S. "CS" according to BMW SN records, yet mine appears factory stock with an S Fairing, all matching factory polaris and blue pinstriping, dual brakes, oil cooler etc. Side covers say R100 and the SN# puts it in the block with late US R100/7 bikes, not CS. To further add to confusion, the original owner's manual entry by the owner identifies the bike (purchased in Modesto, CA) as a R100CS. If not a "CS", did the factory offer R100's with a matched S fairing etc.? As a practical matter, what if any difference was there engine/performance wise, if any in '84 between a CS and a standard R100? Thanks for any clarification (I have seen another '84 with S Fairing in same paint scheme looking exactly like mine with R100 on the sidecovers, reinforcing a view that my bike is factory stock, whatever it is).

John
R100/7

IIRC, the only real distinction on the CS model is that it said "CS" on the battery covers, and came fitted with spoked wheels. no internal engine differences at all from a regular R100, maybe different carbs. i don't recall if they offered a non-CS S model that year; but my gut says no.

Sounds just like my '84, sold as a CS (original owner had the fairing taken off!?). Despite being sold as a CS, the SN# was out of range and near as I could tell, it was no different than a stock R100. I beleive the differences should have been carbs and a different rear drive ratio. I think my carbs were the same as an R100 (40mm Bing CV), and I had no way of telling what the ratio was.

Bike seems otherwise identical to a nonfaired R100. Rear drum brake, 40mm Bing carbs etc. I know early S bikes came with Del'Ortos and later had rear disc. Don't know about CS bikes. I think I heard that in '84 the engines were all the same. Maybe in '84 with the K bikes comng they just dipped into the parts bin and started using up fairings etc etc. Maybe someone up on their R history can help with this one.

Maybe in '84 with the K bikes comng they just dipped into the parts bin and started using up fairings etc etc.

This is a common scenario and probably valid for the situation you describe. It would happen on changeover from one model year to another. There were no records of this and there's no one to research what might have happened. You might be able to make some statement if your were original owner; thus the bike is "stock" since that is the way it came. But then, the dealers often make switches and added things in order to get bikes sold. Butler and Smith was doing this all the time.

The only USA colors for R100CS in 1984 were classic black and last edition pearl white.

I have an '84 brochure that pictures your R100 next to a classic black R100CS. Both have dual front disc brakes and neither has an oil cooler.

Anybody can easily add a color-matched S-fairing and an oil cooler. I seriously doubt yours came in the crate with the fairing or the oil cooler installed.

I suspect if you peruse the BMW parts system, you won't find R100CS decals in blue, but you could sure have some made. I suspect you'll only find them in gold and you won't see the last edition decals.

All R100 engines in all USA models in 1984 were the same. It was that way since 1979 and continued that way through 1995, within a given year of course. Same for transmissions and rear drive ratios (which is easily determined by viewing the stamping on the housing).

Butler & Smith were out of the picture by 1981, I think, BMWNA having taken over.

Last edited:
Butler & Smith were out of the picture by 1981, I think, BMWNA having taken over.

True, but my point was that lots of things happened (or could happen) either with the distributor or with the dealer that could have changed the bike before sale.

I had a similar question about my 82. I am the third owner, bought it in 85 with 13K miles on it. It has a Lufty fairing, and was Black with red and white pin stripes.

I was able to contact the original owner and he told me that the bike had an "S" fairing and short handle bar originally. He replaced the fairing with the Luftmeister and replaced the handlebars with wider. The side covers just had an R100 decal on them as did the badge on the tail cone. Drum brake rear with Snowflake wheels.

I was confused for a long time. When I looked up the serial number on the various online lists it was shown as an R100US or R100T. I had heard stories that some dealers would mount an "S" fairing on the bikes but never heard any verification of this.

Finally about a year or so ago I found a copy of the 82 BMW brocure on the internet. It showed all of the models offered that year. There was no "CS" or "S" on the list. The R100 model was shown both with and without an "S" fairing. On both variations the side covers only said R100.

It is possible your bike also falls into a similar hole...

Rod
82 R100Luftyy
97 K11LT

I had a similar question about my 82. I am the third owner, bought it in 85 with 13K miles on it. It has a Lufty fairing, and was Black with red and white pin stripes.

I was able to contact the original owner and he told me that the bike had an "S" fairing and short handle bar originally. He replaced the fairing with the Luftmeister and replaced the handlebars with wider. The side covers just had an R100 decal on them as did the badge on the tail cone. Drum brake rear with Snowflake wheels.

I was confused for a long time. When I looked up the serial number on the various online lists it was shown as an R100US or R100T. I had heard stories that some dealers would mount an "S" fairing on the bikes but never heard any verification of this.

Finally about a year or so ago I found a copy of the 82 BMW brocure on the internet. It showed all of the models offered that year. There was no "CS" or "S" on the list. The R100 model was shown both with and without an "S" fairing. On both variations the side covers only said R100.

It is possible your bike also falls into a similar hole...

Rod
82 R100Luftyy
97 K11LT
In 1981 BMW offered the R100, R100CS, R100RT, and R100RS. The CS had R100CS on the side covers, of course the fairing, wire spoked wheels, and an oil cooler and clock voltmeter. THe 81 R100 had alloy snowflake wheels and none of the other CS features. This according to the various press releases, period tests, and a 1981 brochure I have collected. By 1982 the only difference between the two was the R100 came with bag mounts and panniers and the CS came with the fairing, the wire wheels, and low bars. I have a 1982 brochure as well.

Thanks guys. Bottom line for me is the S faired R90 or R100 is one of the classically beautiful motorcycles of all time. Whatever the history, my R100 has been a top notch performer and eye candy all in one. Actually had some pumped up visitor to the Gugenheim's Art of the Motorcycle walk over and offer to buy my bike on the spot. I complimented him on his taste when I politely declined his offer.

Cs

I just bought 84 R100 that was advertised as CS owner had it since 86,, where can I find the number range for CS?

Back