• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Austin Hotels

I grew up (in a manner of speaking) in Portland, Maine.... Deering High '67. By the sounds of it all we may never get out of Austin! Think I'll look at an extra day there if it's possible. Want to be on Vancouver Island for my son's wedding on June 21st (there on 18th) so we are forced to schedules and compromises. Looks like the Broken Spoke has our dance ticket and the Heart of Texas is our local oasis. Damn.... what an exciting corridor it will be: Fri and Sat in New Orleans and then Austin. How much partying can this pending 60 old frame take? :scratch A Monday night is likely not the hottest time but that's all we got (well... maybe Tuesday also). Thanks for the note regarding Lone Star. That may be about the time I need new tires. (or is there a better place for that?). Will touch base with you when we are in town (just tell me how). -Bob

Bob,

The "Heart of Texas" is a good place to hang yer hat for a couple of days, fer shure.

If you're going to be in the Austin area for a bit, stop by Lone Star BMW on N. Lamar Blvd. and chat up with the locals. There is always a group around, especially Thursday and Saturday.

If you do that, you'll get soooooooo many ride ideas for the area it'll get your heart a racing. Good coffe, too.

I hope I'm in town when y'all show up. Being from Maine, it is always nice to hear that nor'eastern accent. N.S. is a lovely place to ride. My wife and I have enjoyed our times there.

take care,

Dave

hmmmmm.....:scratch ... are you able to elaborate on this caution flag? I'm glad that New Orleans and Austin are the only spots that I am reserving anything:banghead -Bob

:thumb It pays to ask! Here's your answer:

Is this Bob and Mary? Well, I think they *should* stay there. I just looked at the pictures of the rooms and at their rates and I would stay there too. It's clear they have upgraded the place since I was there more than 10 years ago.

Bob,
LoneStar is closed on Mondays so that would not be the place to get tires then. Tuesday is good and if you think you'll need them and know what you want give them a call and make a Tuesday appointment. The shop starts work around 7:30 AM and there is an OK waiting area with rading material, coffee, sodas, water and a nice HD TV.
Their number is: 512-451-7979

You can send me private message. I check the site every day. Just don't post all that often.

Dave

As part of our upcoming 11,000 mile tour around the U.S., we have been investigating lodging options and Austin is one of the unresolved ones. We ride into Austin on June 9th and want to get into the entertainment center... especially any place with a good dance floor and live music:dance . We cannot afford the $150/night plus places that we find but really do not want a place that charges by the hour either. So, any interesting suggestions. Thanks. -Bob

Is there really an "Austin" other than in Texas? Why?

It has been awhile since I have stayed there, but the LaQuinta on 11th Street is walking distance to all of the entertainment on 6th Street (about five blocks, if I remember correctly), close to the capitol (if you want to do the tour), and the advantage for motorcycles is the parking is an interior courtyard (so you can see your bike without it being in a parking garage), which should provide a little more security. Looks like published web rates are about $100, so probably can do a little better. May want to call them and confirm the parking and any recent updates to the motel.

Bob,
LoneStar is closed on Mondays so that would not be the place to get tires then. Tuesday is good and if you think you'll need them and know what you want give them a call and make a Tuesday appointment. The shop starts work around 7:30 AM and there is an OK waiting area with rading material, coffee, sodas, water and a nice HD TV.
Their number is: 512-451-7979

You can send me private message. I check the site every day. Just don't post all that often.

Dave

a great independent MC shop in town is zabor's, on burnet road. the owner paul, works there all the time and is pretty cool. i go to him for tires and save >$100 per set over what lone star wanted to charge me. i let them fiddle with my engine, brakes, and transmission, but i dont believe is any bmw-centric expertise with regard to tires. i'm not sure if he's open on mondays.

a great independent MC shop in town is zabor's, on burnet road. the owner paul, works there all the time and is pretty cool. i go to him for tires and save >$100 per set over what lone star wanted to charge me. i let them fiddle with my engine, brakes, and transmission, but i dont believe is any bmw-centric expertise with regard to tires. i'm not sure if he's open on mondays.

Although Tuesday is not really a problem. If I can get my tire cheaper at Zabor's then I will. Will call ahead and check prices at both of course. Thanks for the tip. -Bob

Although Tuesday is not really a problem. If I can get my tire cheaper at Zabor's then I will. Will call ahead and check prices at both of course. Thanks for the tip. -Bob

you can tell paul that the guy who keeps coming in with the black r1150r with squared-off tires from too much highway riding sent you. :D

Oops!!!

I completely forgot about ZABOR's!!!!!! Do indeed check him out. The savings will be considerable. I think he just made Ride Texas Magazine's list of TOP TEN Indies.
Dave

.... will be doing that as long as I can, within reason, get 3,000 miles out of my existing tires (Lasertec). They should be pretty square by then. Like my hair.... lots on the side but...... - Bob

He's open Mondays...just call a day or so ahead as he has to order some tires but gets them at 10 AM the next day.
512-467-9484

Great guy to deal with, have left bike and walked two blocks for breakfast/lunch at Waterloo Icehouse, come back and rode off. He is going to miss me with 6 sets of tires, I was there at least every other month with a set...I got a No-Mar Christmas.:clap

you can tell paul that the guy who keeps coming in with the black r1150r with squared-off tires from too much highway riding sent you. :D

I was the guy that got a puncture two days after visiting him...twice! And one bent rim on the RT twelve miles after leaving with a fresh set( another story about urban jungle driving)
He always asked" didn't you just put a set on that bike?":stick

Back