• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photography Tips

S

SNC1923

This thread is for tips and tricks to help make us all better photographers.

Statdawg was kind enough to pass on the following link:

Dry Reading: Camera

This elegantly simple interactive graphic will be especially helpful to those of us working on the basics or trying to figure out apertures and shutter speeds and their interrelationships.

Link posted with permission from author.

Once you've got exposure figured out, Composition is next.

Rule of Thirds:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

Shows it very simply.

I learned something in the process - the first reference to the RoT was 1797, for landscape painting. But I suspect it was known by Greeks, Romans, Egyptians..... they had nice landscape paintings, too.

ummmm, whoever wrote that dry reading thing should get the nobel prize for photography education. that's the most useful way i've ever found to have all that stuff explained to me - namely it's demonstrated in real time on an actual image.

really cool, thanks.

ummmm, whoever wrote that dry reading thing should get the nobel prize for photography education. that's the most useful way i've ever found to have all that stuff explained to me - namely it's demonstrated in real time on an actual image.

really cool, thanks.

Yes, very kool. Nice interactive display.

I encouge everyone to look at his pictures while there. Many really bring home the point that Anything can make an interesting photograph, take the one in his Goodyear series of a muddy construction footing, not something one would associate with a photographic subject, yet he turns it into one. Its photos like that really stun and inspire, yet at the same time, for me at least, makes me wonder what the heck I was thinking to even imagine myself as a photographer, amateur or otherwise! I guess you just have to plod along and hope, (with lots of effort thrown in!).:laugh

RM

Make sure the subject of your photograph is clearly the subject. I hate when people take a picture of a campsite and you can't figure out what the heck you're supposed to look at.

Get close. Get really close to people when you take their picture. And say something that makes them giggle.

I like to tell them I'm going to take their picture, say something stupid and then just snap it. You'll get a genuine smile.

Back