• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Travel buddy to Alaska

C

canucsteve

IÔÇÖve planned a trip to leave Toronto, Ontario on June 27, 2008 and ride to Alaska and from there down to Vancouver, BC. IÔÇÖll then ship my bike and fly home from Vancouver.

Unfortunately I only have 17 days to do the trip, which means some days of quite heavy mileage, although the average is only 440 miles per day. I'm not going to Prudhoe Bay, but will be going to Fairbanks and Anchorage in Alaska.

My route is as follows:
-Toronto to Tobermory and ferry to South Baymouth, Manitoulin Island.
-To Thunder Bay, Kenora, (Trans Canada Highway 17)
-To Winnipeg, Moose Jaw, Calgary, Banff (Highway 1)
-To Lake Louise, Jasper (Icefield Parkway (93)
-To Grande Cache, Grande Prairie, Dawson Creek (40,43)
-To, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake (Alaska Highway 97)
-To Ross River, Carmaks, Pelly Crossing (Campbell 4 and Klondike 2)
-To Dawson City, Chicken, Tok, Fairbanks (Top of the World 9, Taylor 5, Alaska 2)
-To Healy, Montana, Anchorage (George Parks 3)
-To Glennallen, Tok, Hains Junction, Hains (Glenn 1, Alaska 2 & 1, Hains 4)
-Ferry to Skagway
-To Carcross, JohnsonÔÇÖs Crossing, Swift River, Dease Lake (Klondike 2, Alaska 1, Cassiar)
-To, Iskut, Hyder, Houston (Cassiar 37, 16)
-To Price George, 100 Mile House (16, 97)
-To Clinton, Whistler, Vancouver (97 and Sea to Skyway 99)

If IÔÇÖm running out of time, due to bad weather or road construction, IÔÇÖll leave out Hains / Skagway and also Hyder.

IÔÇÖm flexible in terms of where IÔÇÖll stop each night and my objective is not to rush too much, and to leave enough time for photos along the way. On previous long trips (4,000 miles) IÔÇÖve been able to average 625 miles per day, with no real fatigue.

IÔÇÖll be sleeping in a tent most nights with the occasional ÔÇ£luxuriousÔÇØ night in a motel.

So far I'm on my own but would welcome company for part or all the way.

My geography in Canada is fuzzy so bear with me. We are going to Alaska in June-July but plan 4 to 6 weeks. We went Kansas to Alaska to Kansas in 1991 and spent 5 weeks.

I couldn't quite follow the mileages per day you have planned. I think good time and long days work going west - with shorter days headed up from St. Johns or so.

How do your days break out?

Toronto is just north of Buffalo, New York. It's closer to the eastern side of Canada than to the western side.
If I go according to my planned itinerary, I'll only reach Dawson Creek by the 6th night.

My daily mileage is as follows 210, 530, 550, 400, 500, 500, 600 (tough day) 440, 540, 360, 430, 330, 470, 500, 400, 250.

Back