• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

Hi, I'm Monk. (Mark to mother) riding an 86 K75 and building an R75 rennsport... ok it's going to pay tribute to a Rennsport.

I'm married to the incredible Cathy for 16 years and we're renovating our new house in Upstate New York to make room for her aging folks. I sail, ride, make BioDiesel, build stuff, break stuff, make wine, drink wine, (and scotch) wear kilts, love dogs and long rides to a beach.

I'm the full time audio engineer at Workshoplive, an online music education company, and part time special effects artist for Powderkeg.

I've been rideing since my Rupp minibike, Harley, Suzuki, Honda... all the while reading about BMW. I figure someday, someday I'll be mature enough to get a real bike. That day came and I'll never look back. I'm 42 and plan on living past 84... my life begins. :dance

1331115280_b0ca33d5c5.jpg

here I am

OK, I'll go too.

I'm 38 and live in Denver, Co. I am also developing a serious BMW problem. I have a 1200GS and a F650 Dakar and I am looking at trading in my '94 Honda 1000 for either the new 450 or a F800GS. Amazing machines.

Love to ride. Currently on a quest to travel all 50 states before I an through being 40. I guess I want to get over my midlife crisis a little early! I've managed to knock out about 20 states this year on a trip to the Arctic Circle in Alaska and on a ride out to the BMW riding school in South Carolina. http://72.3.249.89/forum/images/smilies/thumb.gif

durango-moab-5-30 039.jpg

Hi from the world nomad.

Hi, I am Tony, the 2007 K1200 LT comes after bending my wifes arm 360 degrees :D. I started riding bikes in Australia around the south coast of NSW in 1976. My wife and I are getting out to meetings locally at the moment for the San Diego BMW OC. Hopefully I will get to meet some of you on my travels. More than likely I will be on my own with some of the bigger trips, I am retired, wife still works.

Attachments

• meandk120022.jpg
    meandk120022.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 394
NW Montana Beemer Rider

58 years old, 38 married to the same wonderful person, 5 kids all off the payroll, 8 grandkids, a real estate broker with my wife in one of the most beautiful places on earth...the Flathead Lake, Mission Valley areas between Missoula and Kalispell, MT. http://www.montanaliving.net Had an earlier career in international oil and gas...lived abroad for about 12 years. Still a kid at heart.

Have loved motorcycles all of my life but just got back in a few years ago with an R1150GS....and then last year with a new R1200GSA. Great trips through Montana, Wyoming....then to Alaska last summer. The ride of a lifetime in my view. Have three trips planned for summer 08....Montana, Wyoming, Yellowstone, Glacier, Montana Highline. In July to my first rally....in Gillette, WY just a few miles from my childhood home, Sheridan, WY. Mid August, back up north to Canada, NWT, Inuvik. Cant wait.

All the best to my fellow riders.

Tony Marshall
Polson, MT
tony@lambros.com

Attachments

• Alaska Trip '07 010.jpg
    Alaska Trip '07 010.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 373
Connecticut Rider!

My name is John and I am a Beemer rider. Admitting your addiction is the first step to building on it.

I grew up in Chicago but am in Ct. now.
My oldest brother taught me to ride on a Honda 550 I bought from a friend and secretly kept at his house. My parents were not happy about bikes.

The next year I bought a leftover red Honda 900 Custom that I loved and used it to move out east. Eventually I had to sell it to buy a car. My wife told me that if I didn't sell it she wouldn't have married me. Wish she had said something before we got married.

So after about 22 yrs., 2007, she said I could get a bike but it had to be big enough for both of us. I had been looking at junkey 650s. I have wanted a BMW for a long time and saw some RTs getting gas a few years ago. They were gorgeous! After a bunch of research and false starts I picked up a Red 2002 R1150RT that I absolutely love. I had to put it away for the winter since the wife wanted her side of the garage back for winter.

I got the bike Father's Day weekend and put on over 4000 miles to the end of Oct. all day riding. I look forward to taking MSF in the spring and adding travel accessories. My wife is looking forward too, so she says.

I joined MOA in the fall and the Ct. chapter. Being so late in the year I have yet to meet anyone but look forward to meeting with everyone.

Anyone need a riding partner let me know.
Big plans. Found out my wife had thrown out my North Face tent, but that's another story.

jnrugg@yahoo.com

Me at Beavertail State Park in Jamestown, RI. wifey took the photo.

Attachments

• R1150RT-card.jpg
    R1150RT-card.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 343
Hi All

Hello all, just signed up this evening and so here we go. Wife and I are both pretty much retired out of hi tech, although she still consults a bit. We sold out of the SF Bay Area and moved up here on to our 13 acres in early 2005.
In early 2007, I thought I might get back into motorcycling and so started looking. Two things became very evident. #1, wife was not satisfied to be riding behind me anymore, and #2. she thought anything but a beemer was going way way backwards. The last machine I had owned was a 1973 R75/5 and we packed "2 up" on it a number of times. Go figure??
So..... she's got an R1200GS and I got an R1200GSA. We enjoyed doing the break in miles down at our place at the Salton Sea (SS) last spring and then brough them up here for some very nice rides in northern Calif. Since we live just 5 miles north of highway 70, we have a lot of local roads that are "interesting". Both machines are currently on the battery maintainer in the garage but we should be hauling them down to the SS in another month or so. I, we can't wait! :thumb
Over the fall / winter I constructed a Doggie Box that should make it possible to take the spoiled cocker spaniel in our lives along. It includes a suspension system to mitigate the jolts, plenty padding and fresh air. It fits nicely on the back end of the GSA with the seat removed, but have not taken it / her out for a "maiden flight" yet. Fingers crossed! We also took our machines up to the Russel Seat folks in Shasta Lake and let them do their magic. What a differrence! Yes, I am actually smiling in the attached image and that's after ~ 1 1/2 - 2 hours in the saddle.
Cheers & ride safe
D&D+ Freckles Doggie

Attachments

• Dave with machines-1.jpg
    Dave with machines-1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 675
Got my first beemer three months ago.

In high school, Chicago area, had a Kawasaki 125 (blue smoke, chain saw sound) I rode it to school pretty much every day - even in winter, dressed in a protective denim jacket and jeans. No Aerostich, no Gerbings.

Then got to ride a friend's brother's R90 one day. Oh, baby. Never forgot that.

So flash forward nearly 30 yrs, and I finally have my own boxer. Put a top box on it to carry briefcase and lunch, and have barely driven my car since I got it. Already worried about a blossoming addiction...

marty miles 138622

I've always been a motorcycle fanatic,and it wasn't until I was lucky enough to find a barely used(45k) 1987 K100LT that I came to appreciate the subtle nuances that makes the BMW marque the most desirable two wheel human conveyance ever devised by the hand of man. This eye opener of mechanical genius has forever turned me into a bit of an elitist amongst my fellow motorcyclists, and I've had to put up with all kinds of humiliations, such as having to ride at the back of the pack on long distance and fund raising rides just to pick up the parts that fall off of the leading machines---you get the picture.
But I digress.
I ride in the Edmonton Alberta Canada area. While the Canadian prairie has little to offer in the way of exciting roads for motorcycles, it does lend us the opportunity to let our mounts stretch their legs for some real mile eating riding. And if you want to get into the twisties, a two hour jaunt to the west gets you into the Rockies, where the riding can get quite adventurous. Several years back I nearly centre punched a rather large elk in the Jasper National Park. And the close encounter with an angry black bear on one of the back roads of the Glacier Highway between Jasper and Banff only adds to the allure of the area. The scenery can be spectacular, as there seems to always be something new around the next bend, and the fact that you are ON a machine as opposed to IN a machine makes it that much more special. To all the long distance guys I say this: Try our Alberta roads, you won't be disappointed.

road trip to moms

hello, been a member for about a year or so. i have just started planning a trip to my moms house in texas, and of course the route has changed at least a dozen times in the last week. One thing that is set in stone so far is taking my time, at least 3 to 4 days to get there. So far i have Bisbee AZ, Hatch NM, and Carlsbad NM on the list. I really want to avoid the major highways as much as possible. So thats where i am at for now, oh and i also want to stop at tin top for breakfast at mary's brazo cafe, it is at the end of my run about 30 miles from moms. I started a blobspot, http://gypzdaz.blogspot.com to let the family know where i am at, and post pics so they can see how the trip is going. ok more later.

Second intro...

I already posted one intro in the "Where did it all begin" thread, but since I actually had a chance see (and ride) my new-to-me '03 Dakar in person, I guess it's time to post here. I'm a brand new rider (took the MSF course in January), and never one to do anything half way, my first ride was a 300 mile road trip around the Tucson / Phoenix area with my wife and her '97 Funduro. The pictures are on the the Apache Trail between Globe and Phoenix. Not that I have a huge base of experience, but the bike rides great so far.

As for me, I've been in the Navy for about 9 years and am currently stationed at the University of Washington's NROTC in Seattle. On December 17th I married my beautiful wife and into a BMW motorcycle family, my father-in-law has been riding BMW's for 30 or so years. Now that I have my endorsement and a BMW (and the threat of divorce/disownment is gone), I'm looking forward to putting a lot more miles under my belt and getting to know you all better.

Cheers,
Tim

Attachments

• ApacheTrail.jpg
    ApacheTrail.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 564

Good day to all. My name Tony and I am in NC, right in the center of the state. I became a member just this week. I now have a K1200LTC, My third Beemer. I traded my GT for the LT and really hate I did. I try to ride each day and I started with a Yamaha 250 and the age of 17, it was love at first ride. Anyway I enjoy Fishing, Golf, Tennis, and uh Motorcycles. If your ever in my area, give me a shout. Ride On..........

DSC00419_edited.jpg (45.3 KB)

Last edited:

Good day to all. My name Tony and I am in NC, right in the center of the state. I became a member just this week. I now have a K1200LTC, My third Beemer. I traded my GT for the LT and really hate I did. I try to ride each day and I started with a Yamaha 250 and the age of 17, it was love at first ride. Anyway I enjoy Fishing, Golf, Tennis, and uh Motorcycles. If your ever in my area, give me a shout. Ride On..........

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12424&d=1204076455

Rt

hi Chris, my RT is the same color as yours... I'd prefer blue or red, but that's the only one the seller had; 25 000 mi, 11 500$ cdn. prices are high for bmw products here. ride safe.

Life is an Adventure Have the right equipment

Hi all -- My name is Dana Dachroeden and I'm from St. Louis, Missouri. I just got back into motorcycling after a 15 year hiatus. In the early days I used to race in lots of local club enduros and was not so much into street. This time around I am set to explore the beauty of this great country and was lucky enough to have an acquaintance with a well loved '96 R1100RS for sale. The bike is just now broken in at close to 60K miles. Rides like a champ and is about everything I had hoped it would be. I plan to saddle up and head to Coloroado's Million Dollar Highway this summer (re. Dec '07 BMWON "Colorado Rocky Mountain High" -- nice article by Al Banta). Might be alone, might be with a couple of folks. It has also been a life long dream of mine to ride the Pacific Coast Highway from San Diego to Seattle. Maybe in '09. Well, let me finish by saying that I am pleased to be here. Dana ps. My middle name is James - so don't let the first name fool ya. :)

My name is Casey and I live in Edmonds, WA. My step-dad and I did a tour around New Zealand on 650 GS's last year and I got hooked! I just got my first Beemer a couple of weeks ago and I already am addicted. I got a 98 Funduro and have been itching to take it on a trip somewhere!

Attachments

• 102_0726.JPG
    102_0726.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 452
Just joined

Hi All:

My name is Dean and I live in Calgary, Alberta.
I have a 94 K1100lt and a Ducati Multistrada.
Have been riding for 39 years and have owned 40 different bikes in that time.
The K1100 is my third BMW, I have previously owned a R100RT and a K75s.

I still think BMW is the best.

Back