• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

Welcome Jeremy ! Glad to have you here and glad you are loving the GS .
Thanks for your service to the USA as well.
Stay Safe! and on the bike.

Mike

Howdy

Hi Everyone. My name is Houston, I am 29, looking forward to 30. I am a professional graphic designer by trade. I do both print and multimedia design. I especially love hand screen printing posters. It's the only way to get your hands dirty anymore in modern design practices.
pogues.jpg

I recently purchased my first bike which happened to be this serendipitous '88 R100RS.
MeandBike.jpg

My fathers had bikes around all of my life until I became of driving age because of layoffs. Seems like the toys are the first things to go. Therefore I had no bike around to fall in love with. Go figure, I leave home and head to Pittsburgh and my dad turns into an even more avid motorcyclist.

Fast forward to now. Things werent going so well on the marriage front so my brother invited me to join him and our father on a bike trip from Oklahoma to Oregon. I had about 2 hours of riding instruction from them, and two weeks later I had 4,500 miles under my belt on a 850 Suzuki.
Glacier.jpg

All I can say is I caught the fever. I've had the Beemer for a month, found it for sale on the side of the road with 34,000 miles. Picked her up for $2,800 and already put a 1000 miles on her bumping around the hills of WV. In 3 weeks I'm taking her out to Oklahoma and experience our beautiful landscape on my new fabulous machine thats as smooth as a feather. I now have a new wife, a beautiful 20 year old German, and after 9 years in Pittsburgh, I'm back in the wild and wonderful mountains of WV.

Here's my other bike where I'm acting Airhead. Haro BMX trail bike. She's adjusting fine from steady use on the Pittsburgh streets/bridges and constant climbing of PJ McArdle Roadway‎ (whew! good cardio. Single speed and no stopping. I lived at the top.) to the woods of WV.

This is today before we took a dip in Sandy Creek.
Haro.jpg

I may be a little late getting into motorcycles, but I look forward to talking with everyone, learning about these wonderful Beemers, and most of all, riding them. Later, h

Last edited:
Hello all,

My name is Mark and I have been riding motorcycles for the last four years consistently. I started out when I was 19 with a 1979 Honda XL 100, it was my first bike and I bought it new off the show room floor for $700.00, it was an addiction right from the beginning, 8,000 miles on the little Honda in 18 months. I rode that thing in the rain, the snow and other less friendly weather. Then there was a lull in the riding for a few years.

In 04 I bought a Honda 600VLX, traded that in for a new 05 VTX 1300R, then I added a 1992 wing to the barn, but, my wife was not to keen on riding, sold the wing. Then this summer I bought my first BMW, an R1200GS, and I love it :heart . Ten weeks old and 4200 miles on it.:clap

Riding is still an addiction, I ride my bike every where I can:bottle The VTX has 28k miles.
Guess I should go ride it this evening, it was crying the other day, "I use to be your favorite, until you brought the Euro-Trash home". Got to go, need to see if the Honda will start.:bolt Ride safe Mark

Thanks guys.

We should have hooked up while you where living in the Burgh. :drink

Hey there Lineman, Appears we lived within 5 miles of each other. A friend of mine recently moved to Brookline. Noticed ink on you from your Airhead post with the sidecar (nice bike btw). Get ink done locally? Later, h

Thanks guys.

Hey there Lineman, Appears we lived within 5 miles of each other. A friend of mine recently moved to Brookline. Noticed ink on you from your Airhead post with the sidecar (nice bike btw). Get ink done locally? Later, h

Hey Houston,

Thanks. I did get most of my work done around Pittsburgh. Unfortunatley my favortie guy stopped tattooing and startyed a regular job.:cry I keep trying to convince him to come back. I just saw that you are out in CO. I haven't gotten there yet. Hopefully soon. We should hook up and do a ride when you get back on the Eastern end of the country. Have a great trip.:drink

Hi Everyone. My name is Houston, I am 29, looking forward to 30. I am a professional graphic designer by trade. I do both print and multimedia design. I especially love hand screen printing posters. It's the only way to get your hands dirty anymore in modern design practices.
pogues.jpg

I recently purchased my first bike which happened to be this serendipitous '88 R100RS.
MeandBike.jpg

My fathers had bikes around all of my life until I became of driving age because of layoffs. Seems like the toys are the first things to go. Therefore I had no bike around to fall in love with. Go figure, I leave home and head to Pittsburgh and my dad turns into an even more avid motorcyclist.

Fast forward to now. Things werent going so well on the marriage front so my brother invited me to join him and our father on a bike trip from Oklahoma to Oregon. I had about 2 hours of riding instruction from them, and two weeks later I had 4,500 miles under my belt on a 850 Suzuki.
Glacier.jpg

All I can say is I caught the fever. I've had the Beemer for a month, found it for sale on the side of the road with 34,000 miles. Picked her up for $2,800 and already put a 1000 miles on her bumping around the hills of WV. In 3 weeks I'm taking her out to Oklahoma and experience our beautiful landscape on my new fabulous machine thats as smooth as a feather. I now have a new wife, a beautiful 20 year old German, and after 9 years in Pittsburgh, I'm back in the wild and wonderful mountains of WV.

Here's my other bike where I'm acting Airhead. Haro BMX trail bike. She's adjusting fine from steady use on the Pittsburgh streets/bridges and constant climbing of PJ McArdle Roadway‎ (whew! good cardio. Single speed and no stopping. I lived at the top.) to the woods of WV.

This is today before we took a dip in Sandy Creek.
Haro.jpg

I may be a little late getting into motorcycles, but I look forward to talking with everyone, learning about these wonderful Beemers, and most of all, riding them. Later, h

:thumb

Any more samples of work? :D

Scott 42

Motorcycle industry guy for 20 years

Motorcycle license for 26 years.

First BMW (73 R90/6) in 88 or so.

Have owned 8 BMWs, still have 5 of the eight (regret selling the other 3)

Have owned about 25 or so other bikes, sill have a few of them too.

BMWs are weird, but they get in your blood and are hard to give up.

BMW riders are even stranger than the bikes. They tend not to get in your blood, but easily get on your nerves.

Last edited:
Hey Guys.

Thanks Knary, Tessler said I should get in touch with you as you're a fellow designer and painter.

My portfolio site is like 99% there, hope to have up in the next week or two.
Heres a few of my screen prints: http://www.gigposters.com/designer/29062_Criminal_Design.html

Hows about you?

Lineman, unfortunately I'm not in Colorado, that was in June, but I'm heading back west to Oklahoma in October. But we should definitely hook up and ride the bikes. I'll shoot you a message next time I'll be in the burgh. I still work remotely for my job up there, so I'll be in the city every once in awhile.

Take care, h

Hey Guys.
Lineman, unfortunately I'm not in Colorado, that was in June, but I'm heading back west to Oklahoma in October. But we should definitely hook up and ride the bikes. I'll shoot you a message next time I'll be in the burgh. I still work remotely for my job up there, so I'll be in the city every once in awhile.

Take care, h

:doh That's my bad for not looking at the dates from the post.
Enjoy your Oklahoma trip. I look forward to hooking up and doing a ride.:drink

Hi all!

I've been lurking for sometime and thought i'd finally step up an say HI! I grew up around motorcycles. My dad alway's had at least 6 bikes in his line up. At some point in time he added a 4 car shop off the back of the garage for doing motorcycle restorations. I alway's remember an Indian or two along with a Triumph, Norton , or BSA in the process of being torn down or being put back together. My older brother to this day still builds one of the best looking Triumphs out there. So many bikes went through that shop. I can remember Steve McQueen stopping by from time to time to check up on or looking into buying one of the many bikes that were finished and for sale.

My 1st bike was a Mustang. Looked more like a big minibike and together we explored all the oil fields in and around Fullerton and Brea Ca. From there it was all to easy. Between my Dad, brother, and my Dads friends bikes popped up everywhere and the deals were alway's good. Maico's, Bultaco's, MZ's, AJS, Honda,Yamaha, Suzuki, Greeve's, Montesa, ect. ect. ect. I don't think there was a brand made that didn't go through Dad's shop. If there was it be seen over at his friend Ralph's shop.

Most weekends were spent out at the Salton Sea were Dad and all his friends had trailers in Desert Shores off Hwy 86. Me and few of my friends started racing motocross. Saddle Back, Escape Country, and Lion's just to mention a few were some of the many tracks where we raced. Night racing was fun. Eventually I started to race desert. This was what I really lived for. Im a desert type of guy. This all came to an end when I hurt my back in 75'. Sure I continued to ride off road but as I got older I need to not be stupid and slow down. You would think back surgery in 88' would put an end to being somewhat stupid. Nope, 4 years later after picking up a sweet YZ465 I had to go through it again.

So since then I turned to the street. Lots of Honda's as my brother is a service manager at one of the local Honda dealerships here in SoCal. My last bike before turning to BMW was a Honda ST1100. For over 6 years I rode that ST. Only after being knocked down for the 2nd time did I start to think it was time to move on. The ST had about 149,000 miles on her, she still ran and looked great but it was time to move on. Having alway's wanting a GS, I started looking. Didn't take long because my brother with his many friends and contacts found me one. An 04 R1150GS Adventurer with just 7400 miles on the clock. Already had the Jesse side luggage, Corbin seat , Ricky risers with Pro-tapper bars, plus the bike had been repainted professionally by a friend of my brothers. The color, Craftsman scew driver blue. In the almost 3 years i've owned it I've put on over 60,000 miles. Lots of camping and rally's. What I've noticed most about the BMW owners is they like to ride and camp. Something I can never get enough of.

By trade im a aircraft repair tech at a small FAA repair station here in SoCal that specializes in Twin Otters. I have learned to do all my own maintance through friends and attending tech day's put on by the local Beemer clubs in my area. I also make most of my accessories and mounts. I strive to have the perfect camping settup as do the friends I camp with. Together we make for an awsome camp.

Here are a couple of pictures of my bike.

DSCN7079-1.jpg

DSCN8316.jpg

DSCN8383-1.jpg

My GSA still has many miles left in her and I have really come to love doing the rally's. Im a talker and love to meet people and make new friends at the events. I also love to do the solo trips. Everyone needs to do a few day's with the bike camping along the way all by themselves.

Im also big on lots of pictures. Get a chance, look in my webshots below.

Last edited:
group touring/riding

i am a new beemer owner. i recently bought a 2008 F800ST and i love it. i have two other bikes (2007 ninja 250 and 2007 ninja 650). i would love to find a group of ladies or couples (my boyfriend ownes three bikes) in the spartanburg sc area who are into day trips or over-nighters. i am ready to take to the road. i don't have many miles on my new "beauty blue" but i am willing to put the miles on her. any suggestions out there?:rocker

i am a new beemer owner. i recently bought a 2008 F800ST and i love it. i have two other bikes (2007 ninja 250 and 2007 ninja 650). i would love to find a group of ladies or couples (my boyfriend ownes three bikes) in the spartanburg sc area who are into day trips or over-nighters. i am ready to take to the road. i don't have many miles on my new "beauty blue" but i am willing to put the miles on her. any suggestions out there?:rocker

Welcome Kay! Hope you can find some locals to get up and go!
Hope you have fun with that new ST!

Mike

OWNST1100--Hey Kieth your just a puppy. I am 68 , still ride my five motorcycles, camp and also used to own a Mustang. Welcome and enjoyed your pictures.

Jack

G'day from 2 BMWMOA noobs

My wife Shy and I just joined today so we thought we would say hi. We have been thinking of becoming members for quite some time now. We hope to get to meet some of you somewhere along the road. As a quick background, earlier this year after selling everything we owned, we left Australia and arrived back in the USA where Shy my wife is from so we have family here. Our plan was to ride around the world. We bought 2 BMW bikes, an R1200GS for me and an R1100R for her. After many mods to both bikes we set off around America. 6 weeks later it all came to a screeching halt after Shy took a tumble in the Black Rock desert after hitting a patch of deep sand and broke her collarbone in 2 places. Undeterred, we regrouped back in California, sold her bike and bought her a minivan complete with a steering wheel spinner knob so she could drive with one arm, following me on my bike. 3 weeks later we were back on the road. We have travelled through the US, up through B.C. to Prudhoe Bay and the Arctic Ocean, across Canada, up to Nova Scotia and down the east coast of this awesome country. We are just about to leave Florida to head back across the bottom of the US to California. From there we plan to do a 2-up adventure down thru Mexico, Central and South America and then reassess where we go from there. We will have many questions but we are sure some of you guys and gals will be able to help.

Cheers,
Daz & Shy

Welcome to the MOA and all the best in your quest beyond the horizon. I am glad you are sorted and Sky is up for the adventure ahead.

Where are you from in Australia ? Because I have friends in Adelaide and Sydney.

There is a friend on mine headed west from Florida by weeks end on a BMW GS bound for California from Daytona. Where are you in Florida ?

Hi Statdawg. We are from just outside Hobart in Tasmania. Down under down under as we like to call it. We were staying in Daytona Beach, then Port Orange just south of there. Today we are in New Orleans, leaving for New Mexico tomorrow.

Cheers,
Daz & Shy

Hi everyone... This is my first post on the site.
My name is Greg and I live in Winnipeg Manitoba.
I am soon to become the owner of a F800GS, my first BMW is on route from "somewhere" to here and is expected to arrive in a timeley manner to coincide with my retirement from the railway.
I have been to a couple of National Rally's in past, as I have tagged along with a friend, who has ridden BMW's since the 1970's.
Alway's a lurker till now.... I look forward to making it to rally this year and knowing I don't have to hurry back for work after it winds up. Where is the National Rally ?

Cheers

Hi everyone... This is my first post on the site.
My name is Greg and I live in Winnipeg Manitoba.
I am soon to become the owner of a F800GS, my first BMW is on route from "somewhere" to here and is expected to arrive in a timeley manner to coincide with my retirement from the railway.
I have been to a couple of National Rally's in past, as I have tagged along with a friend, who has ridden BMW's since the 1970's.
Alway's a lurker till now.... I look forward to making it to rally this year and knowing I don't have to hurry back for work after it winds up. Where is the National Rally ?

Cheers

Backroader , WELCOME !
I would guess that you are nail bitting for that GS to get there eah!

Mike

Back