• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

mfifer, Thanks. Saw your earlier post, sorry to see the damage. I haven't been in White Sands in a long time. Hopefully the winds have died down............pcg :thumb

Brief History

I'm new to the whole BMWMOA thing. I use to ride when I was young and thorougly loved it. However, I had to pay for university and the bike had to go. Over the past 18 months, I kept hearing the "call of the wild" to ride again. I did a bunch of research on bikes and riding and felt that the K12LT was the bike for me. I bought an '05 in the fall and have put about a 1m miles on it before the weather turned to winter. I live in the Chicago area and weather sure puts a halt to riding bikes.

I plan on taking the MSF ERC in the spring. And, looking forward to taking a couple of journeys in the near future. Please share your insight into what's in store for me in my first full biking season in '09.

Thanks,
Paul

I'm new to the whole BMWMOA thing. I use to ride when I was young and thorougly loved it. However, I had to pay for university and the bike had to go. Over the past 18 months, I kept hearing the "call of the wild" to ride again. I did a bunch of research on bikes and riding and felt that the K12LT was the bike for me. I bought an '05 in the fall and have put about a 1m miles on it before the weather turned to winter. I live in the Chicago area and weather sure puts a halt to riding bikes.

I plan on taking the MSF ERC in the spring. And, looking forward to taking a couple of journeys in the near future. Please share your insight into what's in store for me in my first full biking season in '09.

Thanks,
Paul
Welcome Paul! I think you will have a GREAT riding season and I KNOW you will have fun in the MSF class. It was nothing like I had expected and was quite a ball on the fat tired 250 Yamaha I rode.
Mike

Wifes dream

Good Day to all
Im not good at this sort of hing but lets try. First my wife is the reason for my riding. We met 25 years in Germany and all she talked about was BMW bikes and she was going to have one some day. (she was riding a suzuki 400). Ok lets fast foward, 18 months ago i got a wild hair and got my MC permit and signed up for MSF rider course. Well she was dumbfounded and ticked. You see her MC lic was never Transfered to US. Well ( I GOT THE BUG) both of us and our son got our lic within 1 month. Last month she finally got her dream a brand new R1200R for her birthday. As for me i ride a suzuki bandit 1250abs and son has a kaw ninja 500. Well thats our story and im sticking to it. We plan on riding as much as possible and hope to meet people from all over.
Craig Haviland
Geli Haviland
Christopher Haviland
Allentown pa area

Welcome to the forum, Craig. Your wife sounds like a keeper. :german Oh, after 25 years you already know that.

Stacia- Spokane WA

:dance I am 23 years old and just bought my first bike in June, an 85 K100RS. I had a blast all summer.I learned a lot about riding technique, had fun and experienced the reality of someone crashing while on a ride. (She is ok, her bike is not). I was only able to log about 3,000 miles before the snow was flying. I am using my bike to get to the University and plan on saving for a new K bike when I graduate. Haven't decided which one yet. :dunno Besides bikes, I compete in ballroom and latin dance, ride horses, camp and anything fun. Life is short, you can sleep when your dead. :brad

Stacia member #144945

I’m new to the forum here and enjoying exploring my way around, meeting a few of you and reading the great amount of information available.

I’ll be coming up on my 4th summer of riding this year. I bought my K75s with 11,000 miles on it and have around 43,000 miles right now. I love riding this bike and it is just now starting to feel like it’s getting broken in.

I’ve rode down the west coast 3 times now. Many trips to eastern WA and one wild ride with Roger Reuben up to his place one night in Pt. Alberni, BC. As many of you know, Roger passed away suddenly last month.
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?p=405855#post405855

When I started looking for a bike to ride I had no idea what I wanted. Friends of mine that knew Roger took me to his shop one day to meet him and look at his bikes. One of Roger’s good friends Dr. Mike took me aside and talked to me about the K75’s for starters. It was an amazing day where everyone showed up at the shop all at once. Roger was in his prime and holding court, and the stars must have been lined up for me because there hasn’t been any looking back since. I found my Dakar yellow K75s on the IBMWR web site and as they say the rest is history.

I’m looking forward to meeting many of you either here online or hopefully out on the highways and byways of our great country side….

PEACE

Attachments

• Sunday at Thompson Land.jpg
    Sunday at Thompson Land.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 338
Stacia and Steve: WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Wishing you many happy miles. :dance

Uh, Stacia, you aren't riding in Spokane now are you? :scratch

:dance I am 23 years old and just bought my first bike in June, an 85 K100RS. I had a blast all summer.I learned a lot about riding technique, had fun and experienced the reality of someone crashing while on a ride. (She is ok, her bike is not). I was only able to log about 3,000 miles before the snow was flying. I am using my bike to get to the University and plan on saving for a new K bike when I graduate. Haven't decided which one yet. :dunno Besides bikes, I compete in ballroom and latin dance, ride horses, camp and anything fun. Life is short, you can sleep when your dead. :brad

Stacia member #144945

hi Stacia - welcome!

you sound like the ideal candidate to write a "my first bike" article for the Owners News.

great choice of bike, btw. the 1985s were the finest year. :nod

ian

thanks

I just submitted an article to the editor and it might be put in the march or april edition. We'll see. All this snow is fun for a while but I really miss my bike right now. :dunno

me and my bike

hi there,
my name is Stefan and I ride an `86K100rs. While living in the states i found my way to BMW??s on an `86R80. Probably the best bike I??ve ever owned. Having moved back to germany the end of 2000 I was forced to leave my trusty steed in pennsylvania and eventually sold it two years later. Having access to the Autobahn and other great roads I though I should own something sporty. I had my suzuki sv650s for 1 year and grew tired of it. Next I moved to a Dnepr (russian) sidecar for those family outings. it was lots of fun but the lousy brakes and questionable reliability brought me back to BMW and eventually back to the MOA. Rides are now reduced to sunday mornings and an occasional long day trip.
(last spring I drove to Italy for a good cup of espresso and back in one day. little over 1000km :brad lots of fun!
let??s see where I can get my next good cup of coffee...
have to wait until spring. it??s -12C today and the battery is on the charger.

Hi All,

My name is Monte. I've been on a bike since I was six (~32 yrs). Mostly dirt bikes and short trips on my dads GoldWings (1000, 1200, 1500). I got my first street bike (an 85 K100RT) a few years ago and have had several camping adventures with my oldest son. Looking forward to many more trips with him and my other boys.

Hi All,

My name is Monte. I've been on a bike since I was six (~32 yrs). Mostly dirt bikes and short trips on my dads GoldWings (1000, 1200, 1500). I got my first street bike (an 85 K100RT) a few years ago and have had several camping adventures with my oldest son. Looking forward to many more trips with him and my other boys.

a lotta 85 k bikes here... finest year. ;)

welcome, monte. we'd be interested in hearing about some camping with your son adventures.

ian

Snow

Stacia and Steve: WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Wishing you many happy miles. :dance

Uh, Stacia, you aren't riding in Spokane now are you? :scratch

Sorry for the late reply, didn't see it til now. I haven't ridden since early november. We have gotten over 4 feet of snow so far, it finally melted off this week, only a few inches left. I miss my bike, and even though the roads are clear, I can't get my bike out of the shop with all the mud and snow in the way. It's even harder since I asked for new gear and accessories for my bike for christmas and I can't use them yet. Maybe in 2 weeks if the weather holds. :violin

So, since I have no bike, I can actually have a drink or two when I go out. So the snow hasn't bothered me too much.
:bar

Yeah but you NW folks have it easy! It'll be 65 in March and we'll still be shoveling out over here!! :)

Back