• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

I already posted one intro in the "Where did it all begin" thread, but since I actually had a chance see (and ride) my new-to-me '03 Dakar in person, I guess it's time to post here.

welcome tim and your wife.

i really like how you have your bike set up with the jesse boxes. good show! :thumb

r1150gs_1.jpg

ian

Lisa & Simon Thomas

Hi all,

My names Simon and my wife is Lisa. We've been members now (thanks to a good friend) for about 2 months now and thought it was time we sorted ourselves out and starting posting here.

We're both Brit's and left the UK 5-years ago to travel around the world for 2-years. Yeah, you can see the dillema:D We've been diagnosed as having 'Geographic Dyslexia Syndrome', just cant seem to find our way home.

I'm riding a 99' R1100GS and Lisa's on a 2002 F650GS.

us.jpg

lago_us.jpg

Right now we're half way through our goal of riding to and through 122 countries and all seven continents. Actualy, I'm just following the wife, I havn't got a clue where I'm going:brow

Back in 1999 I was involved in a serious motorcycle accident which, bar a few tendons, took 'OFF' my right foot and crushed my lower right leg. The result was almost 18-months of no walking, months of agonizing physiotherapy and 5 major operations over a 2 year period. Learning to walk again was the next big challenge. It's not all bad...18-months gives a person pause for thought and a time to reflect on the 'big picture'...hence selling everything, and finally deciding to make a long dreamt idea into a wonderful reality.

See you on the road. Ride safe but ride far!

Cheers
Simon T

Any of you that live near Santa Rosa BMW ought to go see Simon and Lisa. For reals.

Welcome Simon & Lisa!

Just joined the site, and love reading about everyones rides. I have recently purchased my first BMW. The F800ST. I love it and think it has been a long time coming. I have owned Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki. I will not go back!

photo.jpg

I have recently purchased my first BMW. The F800ST. I love it and think it has been a long time coming. I have owned Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki. I will not go back!

I had all those others too, still have a couple.
There is no other like a BMW.

Beautiful machine. Enjoy!

Chris

Mike Fifer

Some of you already know me but here goes. My wife and I are Mike & Robin Fifer in Las Cruces New Mexico. I raced bikes from the mid 60's to the mid 70's. Very amature but had loads of fun. Stopped riding for 26 years , then my dad passed away. I was given his truck and sold the one I had. Robin said "do you have a plan for the money ?" I said , "i may buy a motorcycle". I went to the Honda dealer and bought a Shadow DC750 sold it and bought a ST1300 (very much disliked the bike), sold it bought a Suzuki C50 and truely loved it (almost a perfect bike) but I could not handle the cruiser style. Just bought my just broke in 96 R1100RT in Glacier Green (wanted one ever since I saw the first one that color). I love the bike so far and seems to be a perfect fit for me being short.
Here are a few pics of old bikes and new ones I have had.

DSCN0398-600.jpg

DSCN4662.jpg

ATL-002288-1.jpg

ATL-001846.jpg

DSCN5409.jpg

772.jpg

zyamaha.jpg

img010.jpg

zwheelie2.jpg

Mike

Thanks , I got rid of it because after the restoration , I found I could get in a lot of trouble on it!!! You know 19 year old brain in a 56 year old body!!
:dunno

Ha ha! That RD400 (and the RD350) was a cool bike.

hello, bonjour, hola, howdy!

my name is tom, i live in central pennsylvania, near harrisburg, the state capital.
3044355a.jpg

i have two beemers, a pair of 88s.
K100
R100RT
964edc1b.jpg

i am new to the forum but did make my first post a while ago in the ride reports section...check out my "tour de frank" plus pix....about our recent visit to Falling Water, a frank lloyd wright house near pittsburgh, pa.

i am a carpenter and cabinetmaker of 31 years, and a union stagehand.
i love music, the arts, and travel. AND vintage motorcycles! i have a fantastic girlfriend with an adventurous spirit, who is learning to love my old motorcycles (and me, too, i HOPE!)!

in addition to the two bmw's, i also own 3 "brit bikes": a "bobber" with a '73 triumph 750 cc tiger engine on a '69 frame (custom one-off), a 1979 triumph bonneville (stock), and a 1974 norton 850 commando (rebuilt).

Last edited:
Welcome Tom! I am also new here and hope you have a great time as I have so far. They all seem to be a very good group of guys and gals. Nice bikes by the by!

Mike

hi, mike

hello, mike...thanks for the welcome note. nice to "meet' you...i joined the club about a month ago when i was looking to buy an R bike...i wanted to have access to the "market", then suddenly realised there's the forum, too. i thought i'd post our Frank Lloyd Wright weekend story, and so it begins!

you've had some sweet bikes over the years, BTW...is that you on the bsa flat-tracker? i also like that yamaha RD(?) 400! cool pix you posted!

having triumph and other british bikes, i am active at britbike.com, and
am flying to england in august to ride there with friends, attend the Isle of Man international bsa rally, etc..

i'm getting more and more into the bmw world now. with lots of friends around here having them, it seems the doors are opening all over the place! it's yet another great scene with even more great people, and we ALL share our love for bikes, old and new! what fun!

have a great day.
"see" you around!

tom

BTW...is that you on the bsa flat-tracker? i also like that yamaha RD(?) 400! cool pix you posted!

Yes Tom , That was me once upon a time and it was a Victor with a 600 kit , sifton cam and big carb. She was no speed demon but I could outcorner the Yamaha twins and 750 HD,s but they really caught me on the straights. I did manage to beat a HD 750 once on a 1/2 mile , most likely my crowning jewel of racing. I sucked and was an amature but raced around and with some cool guys that are now or became well known , like Dave Compos (held land speed record for many years) I grew up around the Unser family (racing in the same city).
Fun Days!

Mike

True GS

You will all notice that my F650GS has mehr gelande als strasse on it. I use it on my Iowa farms because it is cheaper to operate than my diesel pickup. Only problem is mud mud mud.

I am planning to ride to Gillette around July 13 or 14 from Omaha. I lived in the sandhills for 13 yrs, so I know the way by heart. I plan to go staight thru to Alliance, then take the scenic partial unpaved route up thru Ardmore SD, back rd into Hot Springs / Custer, pop out at Newcastle WY. Would love to ride with others. I know every gas station, cafe, and water stop between Omaha and Lusk Wy because I rode my bicycle ( yes bicycle) across Wy and Ne 5 times. Also took the bicycle from Gurnsey WY the back way to Lusk and Hot Springs a couple of times. So GPS is optional.

I have a HD 1200 Sportster too (kind of a pirty boy bike). But its not a mudder like the 650GS.

Looking forward to replies.

Fritz

Attachments

• P6150291.JPG
    P6150291.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 314
R1200 CL Rider in search of VA routes

Hi there fellow riders! My name is Stephanie and I've owned my 2004 R1200CL for two years (bought it brand new from Mortons BMW in Fredericksburg - great folks!) I understand that there are very few CL's out there (didn't know that when I bought it) and that it is somewhat of an eclectic bike. I've heard some tell me "it's underpowered" or that it's center of gravity is too high...after my Honda Shadow 750, I can say it was definitely different, but I've grown to love my ride and wouldn't trade it for the world. It makes for a good conversation peice and has forged some wonderful friendships along our travels.

I ride to work (104 miles roundtrip) most days until the temp sinks below about 38 degrees. I enjoy riding and am out on the Virginia roads along side my husband on most weekends (some weekends we have to make the tough choice of either fishing or riding...fishing or riding...most likely the bikes win because the boat takes longer to prep!!)

We are always looking for new routes and points of interest, so if you have any "faves" please send them my way. A day trip or even an over-nighter would be much appreciated.

We are currently planning a trip for the Outer Banks and then will move north along the eastern shore up through Ocean City MD and back over to King George, VA. Do you have any interesting routes to Nags Head? Are there any points of interest we should see?

I'm an artist - not a techie, so I hope I can master the discussion boards! Looking forward to "meeting" everyone in the forum and hopefully gain some new riding buddies!

Attachments

• BMWMOA.jpg
    BMWMOA.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
About me

My name is Sam Dominico, I don't post many things on the board but I do a lot of browsing to help me get through the joys of ownership. I currently live in Winston Salem NC and this is my second time here. I am a Cardiovascular Perfusionist. I am the person who runs a heart/lung machine during heart surgery. I have been married to my wonderful wife Kari for 20 great years. We have 2 boys and they have made our lives very special. I started riding motorcycles in 2004 and my first bike was and is a R1100RT, I am the third owner of the bike and when I bought it there were only 6000 miles on it. I learned to ride in Illinois, once I moved to NC I appreciated the quality of the bike a lot more since there are many, many, more curves in the state:D. I spend a lot of time in the foothills and mountains of NC and VA. I commute to work year-round and love riding my bike.... Thanks for the opportunity to do this... great initial posting..

Attachments

• Bike Trip 037moa.jpg
    Bike Trip 037moa.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 448
Sam , good to have you here. Nice bike . The painted bags and trunk really set it off.
I have the paint for my bike . HUMMMM!!!
:clap

Mike

Back