• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

Hello, My name is Julie. I am a motorcycle enthusiast and here is my story....................................................................................... When I was twenty one I took off with youthful enthusiasm to Florida. Youth is a synonym for stupid. And stupid I did in abundance! After 6 months I found myself broke and living in a tent. With a tax return check and the help of a good hearted person I purchased a salvaged 440LTD Kawasaki. We were perfect for each other, that bike salvage my down trodden heart. I returned to the midwest with my tail between my legs but with defiance, on a MOTORCYCLE!.............................Through the years, when things are at their worst and life doesn't seem worth living, motorcycling has continued to give me enthusiasm for life. Some people say you shouldn't ride when angry or depressed. They feel a poor mental state makes you vunerable and incautious, but I have found that it focuses my attention away from self pity, and suddenly without warning, without my consent, my mental state has become zen-like. ...................................I later had carb problems with that Kaw and being mechanically inept (also financially broke) I sold it. It was the greatest regret of my life. It took me 8 years to be in the position to buy another one.......................................On my 29th b-day I picked up my Shadow 600. Pretty, but not a very good motorcycle. A year or so later I traded it in on a Virago 750..............................Now that Yamaha was a trooper! Not only did I cross the country several times over the next 7 years, but also took Jason Pridmores STAR School at Heartland Park in Topeka and MSF courses. Later, on the Virago, while at an open track day in Hallett Ok. I passed a person on a Ducati in a corner they call the bus-stop (called so because of the tight off camber angle)......................................That Nov. I bought a 250VTR Honda.What a FUN bike! Red line on the tach was 14000 rpm. It was such an eager puppy and leaped out of corners. It didn't do so well on windy days.......................... In the spring of 2001 I Puchased a 650NT Honda Hawk. I was really starting to have a good time! Also, In March of that year a club member offered up his "crack" bike (250 Yamaha) to anyone in the club who was interested in trying vintage moto-cross. (The club members called it the "crack" bike cause the first time was free) I was one of the last to enjoy this special offer for he sold this bike soon after. No one should curse him for this impudent decision cause the guy he sold it to beat him at every race after that. Ouch!.............................................My first moto-cross race was in the rain and MUD! I crashed NINE times. The by standers were kind enough to pick the thing up, kick start it, and set me back on the track. Near the end I pegged my leg pretty bad with the handle bars and sunk the bike in 2 ft of muck. Boy did I feel great! Mike sponsered me the rest of the year with a 100cc Yamaha and another member joined us to create "Farts and Tart" Race Team....................................Sept 2001 I got my road race license in Hallett on the Hawk. That morning I placed 1st in one mock race, 2nd in the other, and got such a big head that I went out and crashed in the afternoon. Its a good thing I landed on my head or I might have broken some bones. Recovery from the concusion kinda took my edge off for a while............................................................ At this point I realized I needed a motorcycle that I could comfortably tour cross country on and still thrill me in the corners............................................... In 2002 I bought an F650GS...........I want to take a moment to warn everyone.. ......DO NOT buy this bike with a lower kit!!!! To make this bike accesable to short people BMW put a lower kit on it and this makes the thing UNSTABLE!!! See the thead about BMW listening. ...........................................Within 3 months the dealer applied 100% of my money to an R1150R. With the seat carved out , 'works' shocks, and handle bar risers it becomes a surprizingly light and easy to manuver motorcycle.................... This past Aug. while at the vintage moto-cross races in Chehlias Washington ( where I had the privelege to see Jim Pomoroy finally recieve his World Cham. Trophy, WHICH HE EARNED 30 YRS AGO) I bought a 1971 SL70 Honda. An impulsive buy, for I'm new to the Northwest and I don't have any way to get it to the woods and I know no one to go with............................................I sold the VTR and the Virago before the move so I only have 3 bikes, I do miss those 2 machines....................... I'd like to keep the SL70 if I can connect with any dirt bags,, Uh ,,I mean dirt bike riders in this corner of the world. .......................And a special thanks to this web site for helping me to stay connected with others who have the same affliction. Motorcycle obsession. :D

JULIE said:
Hello, My name is Julie. I am a motorcycle enthusiast and here is my story.......................................................................................

That's quite a story, Julie. :clap

I don't think anyone could accuse you of being afraid to try new things!

Welcome.

Re: 1995 R100R

The Veg said:
I'm now the proud owner of a 1995 R100R that was very well cared-for by its previous owner and in really great shape. It's black with white pinstripes just like in the old days and came with some nice extras including an S fairing.

You lucky guy. Just what I always wanted! How about some pics?

MarkF

HarveyMushman said:
That's quite a story, Julie. :clap

I don't think anyone could accuse you of being afraid to try new things!

Welcome.
Thanks Tim, But thats not quite true. I'm afraid all the time, I just don't have enough sense to let my fears stop me. Usually when I'm trying the hardest is when I do something really dorky like falling over in front of my peers. I know I have a terrible addiction to motorcycles but they are better and cheaper than drugs. The only thing I can't stand about cycles, is when someone calls me a "biker chick". First of all I'm not a "biker", secondly I'm not a "chick". I'm discovering the BMW crowd is a different caliper of riders.

the teeny tiny picture was my feeble attempt to re size a picture to fit the forum criteria. spent 4 hours to get that picture in.i couldnt do it again though.its a picture of a jelly fish that my 8 year old daughter took if you were trying to figure out what it was!:dunno

I hear ya Mark; I've been quite busy lately and weather is iffy this week but I'm gonna shoot some soon, as I've several forums asking for them...

dear Julie

Welcome to the "Family." Now are you coming to the rally, or not? Just show up, expect to enjoy yourself, and BE YOURSELF! Despite the pseudonyms extant on this web, you'll find that, in my experience, everybody in this group is what they seem, and very few put on an act as to what they are. We are BMW riders and we are not trying to impress anybody with who we're not. We do know how to have a good time, but for the most part it's done responsibly. The Beer Tent is just a central meeting place, everybody can find it, and, like CHEERS, everybody knows your name, whether they've met you before or not. See you there!

airbiz said:
its a picture of a jelly fish that my 8 year old daughter took if you were trying to figure out what it was!:dunno

Here are a couple of jelly fish pix that your daughter might
enjoy.

These are the real thing:

896571-M.jpg

And here's a glass version:

896573-M.jpg

Both can be found at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Cheers,
Ian

Hi,

I started riding dirt bikes in junior high school although my parents, rest their soul never new it. Bought my first street motorcycle a Kawasaki 200 in 1983 which my first wife was never thrilled with so to keep the peace I reluctantly sold it two years later. Fast forward to 1997 a renewed life and a wonderful new wife who after numerous times hearing me ogle over various motorcycles, said "why don't you just buy the damn thing". So I purchased a Kawasaki 750 Vulcan and took the MSF course and with my wife's interest in riding with me I moved up to Kawasaki Nomad on which we traveled from Indiana to Arizona and through Colorado. After a horrendous accident where we were rear ended at a traffic light, I purchased my first BMW a 99 K1200LT. I had longed for a BMW since high school and a dream came finally came true. We logged many wonderful miles together and I still more on the LT. Since and concurrently I have also owned a 00 R1100S, F650 Dakar, F650 CS and now a 04 R1100GS.

The GS has been on my radar screen since moving to Arizona and wanting to explore the numerous backroads and fire roads in Arizona as well as through out the west. With a daughter in college I have scaled back now to just the GS which so far has been a wonderful companion. If you can only have one motorcycle this machine is it, a sport touring bike that can travel off the beaten path, the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles.

Attachments

• babgs8.jpg
    babgs8.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,056
Last edited:
Okay, right after all the Californy guys the NEXT group of people I don't like are all the desert rats out there in Arizona. I would never want to live there - and ride all year long. No way.
(Don't get your muffler in an uproar, I'm just kidding!)

Re: D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Veg said:
OK let's try that again...

you are a lucky man! that's the bike I shoulda bought. at least it would be paid off for now! much envy dude.

MarkF

Back