• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

that is a large GIVI box that already has a new home on the RT! Since my girlfriend rides a R, I will NOT be needing the backrest...hahahaha. My brother said it was a radar dome!

and I forgot the HELEN2WHEELS rolltop bag that I carried all my riding gear in on plane ride to pick bike up...made a nice backrest too!

Back in the saddle

Hi everyone. My name is David Zuck from Taylorstown, VA. After a twenty one year hiatus, I decided to purchase a bike. I came across a 05 R1150RA this past summer and couldn't pass it up. I can't begin to tell you how happy I've been with the bike. I have actually enjoyed the bike more than I expected. I wasn't quite sure if this was the bike for me but after a few months, I know it is. I rode a 78 Yamaha XS750 when I was in HS and upgraded to a 83 Honda CB1100F in college. The Honda became a sofa and loveseat when my wife and I got married. After twenty one years, I'm still married to my wonderful wife. We have a fantastic 13 year old daughter, a 7 year old cat, and a 2 year old Newfoundland. I just joined BMW MOA and hope to meet some of you in the near future.

Attachments

• R1150RA.jpg
    R1150RA.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 416
Hi Everyone!

I sold everything that I owned, maxed out a few credit cards, and took a loan out to research Latin AmericaÔÇÖs healthcare systems on my 2005 F650GS Dakar. My name is Salvador Carlucci, 1ÔÇÖm 26 years old, half Italian and half from Nicaragua. The last 8 years IÔÇÖve been living in the US where I was working for the pharmaceutical industry.

So far IÔÇÖve visited 16 countries in 5 months, riden over 17,000 miles and currently planning my route back north from Buenos Aires. IÔÇÖm planning to add at least 4 more countries to the list of places I visited on this last part of the trip. My travel blog can be found at www.salcar.net

As far as I can remember BMW motorcycles have always been a dream of mine. I remember that when I was little my dad would stop at service stations in Italy to get gas. Once in a while I would see these huge fully loaded bikes with Germans motorcyclist on it ÔÇô those bikes where BMW. I thought those guys where so cool and after doing some research I became a believer that the 650GSD was the best bike to do the type of traveling I always dreamed of.

I look forward to become an active member in this forum and to meet all of you either online or in person!

115362273-M.jpg

BMW Anyone?

BMW anyone?

What can I say that you havenÔÇÖt already heard? IÔÇÖll let the pictures do the talking as they say much more. My first BMW was a red K75. I bought it in California ten years ago and since then have enjoyed the following fine machines.

When moving to Romania the first order of business was to buy a bike. Seven days after my arrival I purchased this lovingly cared for naked R100. It was an RT, striped down to resemble an S. This bike was fast and raw in so many ways. Perhaps itÔÇÖs most characteristic feature was the way the rear end will lift under power.
motor1yk2.png

Next purchase that summer was my R1100 RS, the bike featured in the video I posted earlier. I flew to Munich and bought her at the BMW dealership, then rode the ride of a lifetime through the Alps for the very first time. I still canÔÇÖt believe how well balanced this bike is.

jaufen1ia0.jpg

I decided to start getting creative a couple of summers later. I purchased this concourse condition ÔÇÖ74 Honda CB 360. It had just turned 30 years old, had been stored for 20 of those years and still has the original rubber. I am the fourth owner of this California bike.

1131389wp5.jpg

Shortly after that I decided to go a little further back in history when a great opportunity came to me. That's when I picked up this Ural sidecar at an auction. Her nickname, ÔÇ£Sidecar Sally.ÔÇØ Need I say more?

img2090cg2.jpg

img2087zh3.jpg

Now that IÔÇÖm back in Canada, and I was forced to sell my R1100RS due to Transport Canada laws, I have replaced it with this R1100RT, the ÔÇ£Green Machine.ÔÇØ I'll be riding her to the BMW MOA rally in Wisconsin this summer.

mark1999r1100rt06060011ka8.jpg

Exciting test ride

I recently purchased an R1200 GS ADV and took it out on the Pony Express Road in western Utah to see how it would handle on the gravel, sand, mud, etc. Just north of this route is a live fire air force range. When I passed Fish Springs National Wildlife Refuge and headed north I saw a very large number (100) of brilliant white flashes which looked like a 4th of July gone bad. Later, an F16 pilot at Hill AFB told me it was probably a B-52 out of North Dakota dropping cluster bombs from 30k feet. The bike handled much better than I thought, and my first ride was much more exciting than I expected.

Tucker Thomson
Bountiful, Utah

New To Group

Hey guys, I'm new here and just wanted say hello. I ride a GS1200 and have been on beemers for about 12 years. I live in Shell Beach, CA. This morning I got up and rode to the nearest BMW dealer to have my headlight attended to. I changed the bulb yesterday but it still didn't work. After riding 2.5 hours to Santa Cruz BMW, Brian there said, "when you checked it, was the engine running?" Turns out the engine has to be on to make the low beam turn on.
Oh well, it was a beautiful day and a good ride up the coast thru Big Sur. Can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday.
Keep those wheels spinnin'.

Hi

My name is Rodney and this is my first airhead. I got it from a retired Dr. who had the bike in storage for the last 20 or so years, he got it to take on a 10,000 mi. trip from Michigan to Calif. and back. The bike is in very good shape. I get my winters off and have been home working on it for the last two months. I put on new tires and changed the points, plugs, filters, and oils. The steering damper leaked and I changed it also. I am a engineer on a ship and will be home until the middle of April. Hopefully I will get a chance to ride before I go back to work. Most of the work is done, except I am thinking about taking the carbs apart just to look inside. This forum is great and I don't feel all alone when I am working on the bike.

I'm in....new here and new to riding; although not entirely new to going fast on two wheels. The name's Heather and I've raced road bicycles and triathlons in the past. I live in beautiful Central Oregon where I work hard (teacher and part time professor) and play even harder (hike/trail run with my two dogs, mtn. bike, kayak, etc.).

Just last fall, I rode with a friend a handful of times and decided I'd take the plunge and buy my own bike. Ended up with the newest (and last) Dakar and can't wait to get it out more. I've taken it on the trails already and look forward to exploring the Pacific NW this summer on my time off.

Don't know much about bikes, but am learning quickly by reading all you hooligans have to say. :)

Anyone in the general area wanna get together and ride? When, of course, the white stuff disappears!
~Heather

New to BMWMOA. First bike 1984 BMW K100RS. (Broken by a Buick) :violin
Current bike 2003 BMW K1200RS with approx. 34,000mi. Lots of miles put on in Wisconsin, traveling from Milwaukee, WI
attachment.php

up along Lake Michigan and Northwest to Eagle River, WI and the UP MI. I enjoy how you can travel for miles through WI without too much traffic and still make some decent time.
I'm looking forward to attending the BMWMOA International Rally. Looking forward to seeing folks I've corresponded through various websites http://www.k-bikes.com http://www.i-bmw.com http://www.sport-touring.net http://www.bmwmoa.org
Lots of very nice folk, good sense of humor and sound advice when needed.:type

Attachments

• March2006.JPG
    March2006.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 430
Another shot of WI roadways this time in Northern WI. :thumb
Yes, you can find roads where you can stop, get off your bike, take a picture.
Even though you are stopped on the wrong side of the road.
And yes, you will have time to then get back on your bike.
All this can happen without someone in a car going nuts!:nyah

Attachments

• NorthernWIsunset.JPG
    NorthernWIsunset.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 434
But if you do stop on the side of the road in Wisconsin, and just wait a while.
For sure someone will stop and make sure that everything is all right.
Happened to me along this road in Northern WI. I was just enjoying the day! :brad

Attachments

• Summer2006-1.jpg
    Summer2006-1.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 432
When I can't ride my bike I try to get a few upgrades put on for comfort, safety, performance and style.:brow

Attachments

• Winterupgrades.JPG
    Winterupgrades.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 429
Ride today & guess what I saw? (hint: big & hairy)

Ok, get your minds out of the gutter! Geez!
Beautiful day for a ride, went to visit a friend North of Milwaukee.
Just about an hour drive out of town (Milwaukee, WI), had time to kill after taking my car into the shop for a new radiator.
buffalbike.JPG

Striking similarities between the beast and the bike. No?

Attachments

• Lakeview buffalo farm2.JPG
    Lakeview buffalo farm2.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Yep, it's me

Roy Schindler
I have been going to Beemer rallys since 1978? in my brother's sidehack and a few years later on my own 1955 R50. Since then, a 1977 R100/7 and then a 1984 R100 RT (the infamous "Last Edition" *snicker*). I still have and love them all, I have only crashed on 2 of them. Did I mention the R50 sat for many years after I dropped a valve? It is finally up and running after many hilarious problems which I am sure I will laugh about later when I have money again. :lol Now I know why they call them cash 2's.:cry All 3 bikes are up and running this year and I hope to make my mumbleteenth Nat'l this year. I joined the MOA around 20 years ago, it lapsed for 1 or 2 years. I still went to Rallys and I got tired of asking others when they were so I signed back up again. Now, I finally signed up for this forum on the Internet thingy.
Here they are, for your amusement,
Ol' Reliable (her good side, the bad side is from the worst weekend of my life)
P5190001.jpg

The Deerpuncher (the instrument cluster is still bent to remind me to look for deer)
P2020018.jpg

Ol' paint (it really is old paint now)
r50rest.jpg

Last edited:
Hi folks

I'm Mike Glaiel in Easthampton Ma and I'm new to the world of motorcycles. I have been doing a lot of riding locally in Western Mas and VT. Went to the rally last year saw and learned lots. I'm planing my first big trip in September to Nova Scotia for two weeks, solo. My kids call me the Red Power ranger in this suit.

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:
Me and my ride

No, No, No, I don't live in California. I only took a short trip there while on a business trip in Vegas. Had 3 days between meeting and took off. I live in the Philadelphia Region (Kennett Square) and Dallas, Texas. Most of the riding is Long Distance because it seems it is the only free quiet time I get. No phones, faxes, emails or Fedex. It's wonderful and though provoking.

Attachments

• IMG_2665.jpg
    IMG_2665.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:
Back