Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58

Thread: "The Harley Rodeo" in Red Lodge the Weekend of the MOA National

  1. #31
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,940
    Quote Originally Posted by BeemerMike View Post
    How did you manage to find a windless day at the top of the Beartooth Pass?!
    All things are relative. It might have been breezy, but not windy
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  2. #32
    Registered User mike m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    SOCAL
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    I'm not certain if this thread is primariy a; my bike brand vs. your bike brand thread or a; roads near the National site thread. Sooooooo, let me throw in my 2 cents worth.

    As a semi-local, don't miss riding Beartooth if you are coming from afar. It is truely a wonderful piece of road and would be worth your time to put into your agenda if possible. The veiw from the top is world class by any travelers description. I wouldn't miss Yellowstone because it is crowded, nor Yosemite. For a rider, I put Beartooth in that classification. Anytime Beartooth is open there will be traffic of some sort that is slower than a Beemer rider.

    In case you are wondering, no I don't go near Sturgis during the rally, I go any other time of year.
    It was not intended as an us vs. them thread. Not by me anyway... Heck, I love Harleys! ---->

    When I started this thread, in the first post I asked if the Harley Rodeo drew a large crowd of riders. I went on to say that the last thing I wanted was to ride the classic Beartooth Hwy for the first time behind long lines of Milwaukees finest.

    The same reason you (and I, as well) would stay away from Sturgis during the rally. Because of the crowds....right?

    Sounds to me like it will be OK. I'll be on top of that windy pass in July. Rick, I hope to see you there!
    Mike M
    2014 GSA
    MOA# 86571

  3. #33
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,596
    Quote Originally Posted by afhrnfa1 View Post
    Let me just say that I rode BMW's before I rode Harleys and now I own one of each.

    BMW riders whine so much more that Harley riders. Get over your bad self and enjoy the ride and be happy that there are other people riding and promoting the sport before we all loose the right to ride.
    In my circle we support each other no matter what we ride.
    Stitch 1%er
    to me, "support each other" means moving over in the lane and waving a fellow rider past. it also means not starting to race someone who is trying to pass you.

    it is very dangerous to pass people "promoting the sport" by riding in large groups so far under the speed limit that even the cars and motorhomes are being held up. and beyond being dangerous, even though every motorcycle is actually a single vehicle on the road, it's rude to break in on a parade pattern.

    ever since "let's block traffic" became the latest proof of penis size in certain riding circles, i've taken to following some of the advice in this thread:

    wait until the end of a straight, stop.... stay there until the next vehicles behind you appear, and then take off again. you can typically ride for more than a few minutes at an enjoyable pace before catching back up with the parade.

    and... thank God for gravel roads.

    ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

  4. #34
    judjones
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Riding Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills can be about as good as motorcycling gets. And, riding Spearfish Canyon during the week of the Black Hills Motor Classic in Sturgis (Bike Week) amidst a group of some very poor riders can be almost as unfun as it gets. I did both last year.

    One need only look at the accident statistics around/during the several great American wobblefests to know that there are better places to be on a motorcycle than right there right then.
    Q: What do you call a hundred Harleys in Spearfish Canyon?









    A: A slalom course.

  5. #35
    BOXERR
    Guest
    As an owner of both BMW, and Harley, I find it odd that a lot of people bag Harleys, and there riders, for being slow, and inconsiderate.
    Are BMW riders that good? I think not.
    I enjoy both of my bikes, and can move quite well with my Harley (2007 FXDC)
    As a cruiser, they are hard to beat. They are not ment to handle like a Beemer.
    We all love the freedom that our Motorcycles give us, none of us own the road, and all sorts of traffic can slow us down.
    Lets get out there and just ride.

    " These comments are my own, and not ment to create a debate"

  6. #36
    Stitch
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maine Vacation Land
    Posts
    103

    harley Davidson

    Just maybe many BMW riders are wishing that they had the same brotherhood that Harley riders share.


    2005 HD Road King
    2006 R 1200 GS

  7. #37
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,596
    Quote Originally Posted by afhrnfa1 View Post
    Just maybe many BMW riders are wishing that they had the same brotherhood that Harley riders share.
    if brotherhood is defined by brand, motorcyclists have a real problem.

    ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

  8. #38
    Just passin through wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pueblo West, Co.
    Posts
    550

    BlackBMW

    Mike, no problem. You clearly stated you have no problem with Harleys and asked a question.
    Not all posts have followed that vein.
    I'd hate to see a brand discussion cause people to miss a great road.
    Live this day.

  9. #39
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,940
    Quote Originally Posted by boxerr View Post
    As an owner of both BMW, and Harley, I find it odd that a lot of people bag Harleys, and there riders, for being slow, and inconsiderate.
    Are BMW riders that good? I think not.
    I enjoy both of my bikes, and can move quite well with my Harley (2007 FXDC)
    As a cruiser, they are hard to beat. They are not ment to handle like a Beemer.
    We all love the freedom that our Motorcycles give us, none of us own the road, and all sorts of traffic can slow us down.
    Lets get out there and just ride.

    " These comments are my own, and not ment to create a debate"
    Aw come on! You know that a motorcyclist that happens to own a BMW and a HD is not the same type rider as a biker that owns a cruiser of some type and wobbles through the corners, or from bar to bar. This is not about the brand - it is about the skill level and level of sobriety.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Penn Hills, PA
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by afhrnfa1 View Post
    Just maybe many BMW riders are wishing that they had the same brotherhood that Harley riders share.


    2005 HD Road King
    2006 R 1200 GS
    And what brotherhood would that be?

    When I wrote of "bretheren" I was speaking to the romantic ideal that is riding. The ideal that I believe all riders share at one level or another. The ideal of a certain freedom and that we are all at some point on the same road. That may not be a very practical view, but it's the one that I keep.

    Mike was voicing his thoughts on his upcoming trip, the practical view. I answered with my thoughts, the romantic view. I don't believe either of us brought up brand bashing, or brand superiority.

    Whatever your opinion is, ie: how well you ride, how intelligently you ride, how safe you ride, brand of bike, cruiser vs. sportbike vs. tourer. The common denominator we have is this. We all choose to travel the hiways and byways with an internal combustion engine strapped between our legs.

    I think that makes us a "brotherhood."

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11
    My wife's folks live between Cody and Powell on a small farm/ranch. We were out there over the Christmas Holiday. Actually had lunch in Red Lodge. Though I must admit I dislike riding in heavy traffic or possible congestion as much as the next guy, the scenery is absolutely worth it. You may get frustrated however if you plan accordingly the view and the ride will make it worth your while. Ride safely

  12. #42
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,596
    Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    Whatever your opinion is, ie: how well you ride, how intelligently you ride, how safe you ride, brand of bike, cruiser vs. sportbike vs. tourer. The common denominator we have is this. We all choose to travel the hiways and byways with an internal combustion engine strapped between our legs.

    I think that makes us a "brotherhood."


    there really is no issue here, other than lack of courtesy to other riders (and cars and motorhomes!).... the whole issue would completely go away if fellow riders shared the lane and let faster riders pass without a big ego contest.

    ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

  13. #43
    Registered User mike m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    SOCAL
    Posts
    107
    The post that struck a nerve with me was Becky's description of her ride in Nova Scotia during the MOA Nat'l in VT.

    She described braking at every turn on a twisty road behind a long line of HD's. Frankly, nothing rattles me ragged more than that. Honestly, I don't care if it is HD's, RV's or old Buick's! It just takes all the fun out of a twisty road.

    Heck, if the annual AARP meeting of Vintage Buick Electra 225 Owners was in Red Lodge that weekend I would consider bypassing it too! It ain't about Harleys.

    It doesn't matter what the impedement is. I just don't like being behind a rolling parking lot on a road like the Beartooth Highway. I'm not into outright straight-line speed. My enjoyment comes from smoothly leaning into 30mph turns at 45-50mph. I'm not talking reckless. I'm talking BMW Sport-Touring!

    Lets face it, the designated use for (almost every) Harley is cruising. Heck, just slightly lean one of those over and you are scraping hard-parts. Just think about what would happen if you threw an old Buick "Deuce-and-a-Quarter" into a hairpin on top of Beartooth Pass at speed. It wouldn't be pretty!
    Mike M
    2014 GSA
    MOA# 86571

  14. #44
    MT State of mind
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    856

    Geez!

    Any time you have a narrow road that leads to/from a national park, you have congestion. Of course you should ride the BT highway if you're in the area! The whole thing was rebuilt just a few years ago, but the new road is still a bit twisty and slow (that's why it's fun), so don't think other motorcycles on the road are going to impact your enjoyment of the ride very much. Just get there early; they won't get up that early if they partied the night before.

    It's probably more fun than going in Aug when we hold the BMW Beartooth Rendezvous in Red Lodge. Man, all those hot shots on their BMW motorcycles think they're sooo gooood...

    Yes, riding through town will be stop and go - it's TOWN. It's narrow, one lane, parking on both sides, and last summer they were tearing up one block, so you had to ride around a back hoe. We only have two seasons in Montana: Ski season and construction season.

  15. #45
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBMW View Post
    The post that struck a nerve with me was Becky's description of her ride in Nova Scotia during the MOA Nat'l in VT.

    She described braking at every turn on a twisty road behind a long line of HD's. Frankly, nothing rattles me ragged more than that. Honestly, I don't care if it is HD's, RV's or old Buick's! It just takes all the fun out of a twisty road.

    Heck, if the annual AARP meeting of Vintage Buick Electra 225 Owners was in Red Lodge that weekend I would consider bypassing it too! It ain't about Harleys.

    It doesn't matter what the impedement is. I just don't like being behind a rolling parking lot on a road like the Beartooth Highway. I'm not into outright straight-line speed. My enjoyment comes from smoothly leaning into 30mph turns at 45-50mph. I'm not talking reckless. I'm talking BMW Sport-Touring!

    Lets face it, the designated use for (almost every) Harley is cruising. Heck, just slightly lean one of those over and you are scraping hard-parts. Just think about what would happen if you threw an old Buick "Deuce-and-a-Quarter" into a hairpin on top of Beartooth Pass at speed. It wouldn't be pretty!
    Pass 'em.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •