• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"The Harley Rodeo" in Red Lodge the Weekend of the MOA National

Harley Davidson

Let me just say that I rode BMW's before I rode Harleys and now I own one of each.

BMW riders whine so much more that Harley riders. Get over your bad self and enjoy the ride and be happy that there are other people riding and promoting the sport before we all loose the right to ride.
In my circle we support each other no matter what we ride.
Stitch 1%er

Bad self

Right now I have more Honda in my garage than BMW so I do like other types of bike. I'm even looking for a Thruxton to ride. It is not what you ride it is how you ride and when you ride!

Beck

Let me just say that I rode BMW's before I rode Harleys and now I own one of each.

I have never felt more out of place than now. Have always owned bikes that were not what the group was riding. There are five of us, as a group we are comfortable riding together, we pretty much know what the others gonna do. Four have always ridden HD in one form or other, all now Ultras, and here I am on my k12s. Do they care? No. Do I care? Yes. Only because they've always refered to my beauties as "that thing Ricky rides":D Now, do I like riding with large groups or riding behind large groups of riders I'm not a part of ? Not really. But that has not put a damper on a ride nor has it prompted me to think that a trip to a new place might be marred because a large organization might be on the road I'd like to ride. Some of the best times I've had were traveling alone and then noticing that somehow I'd fallen in behind another traveler, and later finding a few more are tagging along. Commaraderie, that's what it's all about. I hope this made sense.

I have never felt more out of place than now. Have always owned bikes that were not what the group was riding. There are five of us, as a group we are comfortable riding together, we pretty much know what the others gonna do. Four have always ridden HD in one form or other, all now Ultras, and here I am on my k12s. Do they care? No. Do I care? Yes. Only because they've always refered to my beauties as "that thing Ricky rides":D Now, do I like riding with large groups or riding behind large groups of riders I'm not a part of ? Not really. But that has not put a damper on a ride nor has it prompted me to think that a trip to a new place might be marred because a large organization might be on the road I'd like to ride. Some of the best times I've had were traveling alone and then noticing that somehow I'd fallen in behind another traveler, and later finding a few more are tagging along. Commaraderie, that's what it's all about. I hope this made sense.

Rik, what you write makes alot of sense.

However, I only have time for a couple of m/c trips each year. This year, I am tacking on a couple of extra days to visit some spots I've wanted to go for a long time (Tetons, Yellowstone, Beartooth, Cody) and to visit my first MOA National. I agree that commaraderie is very important but my primary purpose to go is the riding.

I'm still gonna take my ride from Yellowstone up to Red Lodge via the Beartooth Hwy and back down it the Chief Joseph Hwy and head into Cody.

Let's just hope its not the longest leg of my trip! ;)

Not sure?

I'm not certain if this thread is primarily a; my bike brand vs. your bike brand thread or a; roads near the National site thread. Sooooooo, let me throw in my 2 cents worth.

As a semi-local, don't miss riding Beartooth if you are coming from afar. It is truely a wonderful piece of road and would be worth your time to put into your agenda if possible. The veiw from the top is world class by any travelers description. I wouldn't miss Yellowstone because it is crowded, nor Yosemite. For a rider, I put Beartooth in that classification. Anytime Beartooth is open there will be traffic of some sort that is slower than a Beemer rider.

In case you are wondering, no I don't go near Sturgis during the rally, I go any other time of year. :bikes

Last edited:
The next-to-the last time I was at the top of Beartooth Pass it was 11:00 p.m. and snowing. The big fluffy white flakes, about the size of nickles, were blowing approximately horizontal, and I pretty much decided I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So the following summer I just had to go back on a windless, cloudless, day to see what I had missed.

The next-to-the last time I was at the top of Beartooth Pass it was 11:00 p.m. and snowing. The big fluffy white flakes, about the size of nickles, were blowing approximately horizontal, and I pretty much decided I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So the following summer I just had to go back on a windless, cloudless, day to see what I had missed.

How did you manage to find a windless day at the top of the Beartooth Pass?! ;)

Sounds like me and my attempt to visit Snowy Range. For years it was a Quest!! I saw a picture of the range on a calendar, and we headed there on our summer vacation. (late June) Jumped off I-80 at Laramie after riding along spectacular views of Vedauwoo ("earthbound spirits") only to be met with signs reported "Road closed 30 miles ahead) Drat! Right at the Snowy Range Pass.

The next year traveling with a friend, we tried again. The Pass was open, but it was windy, rain mixed with snow, and a pretty nasty ride. The 3rd attempt to visit my "quest" was after the '95 IBR. We were heading home after I'd finished the 11 day event (in SLC) and I told Jerry I wanted to "zip" over to Snowy Range. He's pretty patient with my "whims" and off we went. (after all it was definitely on the way). No luck...incredible wind, rain and frozen rain, and we were outta there.
Finally in 2001 I was "in the neighborhood" again on the way to CA. My perserverance was rewarded with sunshine...Finally!!! Had dinner in Centennial, and got to camp at one of the campgrounds before heading to the pass (good thing because the other CG were still snowed in). Thought I was going to be carried away by the mosquitoes. Put my helmet on, and walked to the CG host's spot and asked about bears, since I was the only one back there. He assured me the only one he'd seen that day was a small one........(didn't sleep well). I had a glorious ride through the pass, sunshine and was treated to incredible views. If you're coming that way enroute to Gillette.....don't pass up the 230 loop south of Laramie (if you have the time), but definitely turn on 130 and cross the pass through the Medicine Bow National Forest. Snowy Range Pass El. 10,847 and Medicine Bow Peak EL 12,013. I hope you're rewarded the "calendar view"

Last edited:
I'm not certain if this thread is primariy a; my bike brand vs. your bike brand thread or a; roads near the National site thread. Sooooooo, let me throw in my 2 cents worth.

As a semi-local, don't miss riding Beartooth if you are coming from afar. It is truely a wonderful piece of road and would be worth your time to put into your agenda if possible. The veiw from the top is world class by any travelers description. I wouldn't miss Yellowstone because it is crowded, nor Yosemite. For a rider, I put Beartooth in that classification. Anytime Beartooth is open there will be traffic of some sort that is slower than a Beemer rider.

In case you are wondering, no I don't go near Sturgis during the rally, I go any other time of year. :bikes

It was not intended as an us vs. them thread. Not by me anyway... Heck, I love Harleys!:nod ---->:german :heart :usa

When I started this thread, in the first post I asked if the Harley Rodeo drew a large crowd of riders. I went on to say that the last thing I wanted was to ride the classic Beartooth Hwy for the first time behind long lines of Milwaukees finest.

The same reason you (and I, as well) would stay away from Sturgis during the rally. Because of the crowds....right?

Sounds to me like it will be OK. I'll be on top of that windy pass in July. Rick, I hope to see you there!

BMW riders whine so much more that Harley riders. Get over your bad self and enjoy the ride and be happy that there are other people riding and promoting the sport before we all loose the right to ride.
In my circle we support each other no matter what we ride.
Stitch 1%er

to me, "support each other" means moving over in the lane and waving a fellow rider past. it also means not starting to race someone who is trying to pass you.

it is very dangerous to pass people "promoting the sport" by riding in large groups so far under the speed limit that even the cars and motorhomes are being held up. and beyond being dangerous, even though every motorcycle is actually a single vehicle on the road, it's rude to break in on a parade pattern.

ever since "let's block traffic" became the latest proof of penis size in certain riding circles, i've taken to following some of the advice in this thread:

wait until the end of a straight, stop.... stay there until the next vehicles behind you appear, and then take off again. you can typically ride for more than a few minutes at an enjoyable pace before catching back up with the parade.

and... thank God for gravel roads. :ha

ian

Riding Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills can be about as good as motorcycling gets. And, riding Spearfish Canyon during the week of the Black Hills Motor Classic in Sturgis (Bike Week) amidst a group of some very poor riders can be almost as unfun as it gets. I did both last year.

One need only look at the accident statistics around/during the several great American wobblefests to know that there are better places to be on a motorcycle than right there right then.

Q: What do you call a hundred Harleys in Spearfish Canyon?

A: A slalom course.

As an owner of both BMW, and Harley, I find it odd that a lot of people bag Harleys, and there riders, for being slow, and inconsiderate.
Are BMW riders that good? I think not.
I enjoy both of my bikes, and can move quite well with my Harley (2007 FXDC)
As a cruiser, they are hard to beat. They are not ment to handle like a Beemer.
We all love the freedom that our Motorcycles give us, none of us own the road, and all sorts of traffic can slow us down.
Lets get out there and just ride.:dance

" These comments are my own, and not ment to create a debate"

harley Davidson

Just maybe many BMW riders are wishing that they had the same brotherhood that Harley riders share.

2005 HD Road King:usa
2006 R 1200 GS:german

BlackBMW

Mike, no problem. :hug You clearly stated you have no problem with Harleys and asked a question.
Not all posts have followed that vein.
I'd hate to see a brand discussion cause people to miss a great road.:bikes

As an owner of both BMW, and Harley, I find it odd that a lot of people bag Harleys, and there riders, for being slow, and inconsiderate.
Are BMW riders that good? I think not.
I enjoy both of my bikes, and can move quite well with my Harley (2007 FXDC)
As a cruiser, they are hard to beat. They are not ment to handle like a Beemer.
We all love the freedom that our Motorcycles give us, none of us own the road, and all sorts of traffic can slow us down.
Lets get out there and just ride.:dance

" These comments are my own, and not ment to create a debate"

Aw come on! You know that a motorcyclist that happens to own a BMW and a HD is not the same type rider as a biker that owns a cruiser of some type and wobbles through the corners, or from bar to bar. This is not about the brand - it is about the skill level and level of sobriety.

Just maybe many BMW riders are wishing that they had the same brotherhood that Harley riders share.

2005 HD Road King:usa
2006 R 1200 GS:german

And what brotherhood would that be?

When I wrote of "bretheren" I was speaking to the romantic ideal that is riding. The ideal that I believe all riders share at one level or another. The ideal of a certain freedom and that we are all at some point on the same road. That may not be a very practical view, but it's the one that I keep.

Mike was voicing his thoughts on his upcoming trip, the practical view. I answered with my thoughts, the romantic view. I don't believe either of us brought up brand bashing, or brand superiority.

Whatever your opinion is, ie: how well you ride, how intelligently you ride, how safe you ride, brand of bike, cruiser vs. sportbike vs. tourer. The common denominator we have is this. We all choose to travel the hiways and byways with an internal combustion engine strapped between our legs.

I think that makes us a "brotherhood."

Back