• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

k75 shocks

drrider

after 97000miles the rear shock in my faithful old k75rt has about given up the ghost:cry Has anyone tried progressive suspension's shock?:: :dunno

I had a really nice on on my K75. I think it was a model 420? It had a remote reservoir and both preload and damping adjustment.

It completely transformed that bike. We also had a Koni on Tina's K75S, but it was ridiculously harsh.

drrider1 said:
after 97000miles the rear shock in my faithful old k75rt has about given up the ghost:cry Has anyone tried progressive suspension's shock?:: :dunno

I have a Works Racer on mine. It works well, is rebuildable, and fairly inexpensive. They will set it up for your weight with the proper springs and it can be adjusted.

Jim :brow

Source for Shocks???

So with replacement shocks, where are you purchasing shocks other than normal local dealer? Any good dependable on line sources? Looking for new not used shocks at this point, unless I could get a really good deal on a low mileage used one. I'm 6'3" 215# with jacket etc.

drrider1 said:

Had a Progressive 420 on my K100RT.. it didn't work well for me.

I've had the following, in increasing order of satisfaction:

Stock - over spring/under-damped

Progressive - Way over spung and they wouldn't do anything about it.

Works Performance - good shock, built to you - but needed frequent rebuilds.

Ohlins - good shock, can be rebuilt at any dirt-bike suspension shop. Expensive, but worth it. I don't believe they still make a model for the K75's.

Wilbers - excellent shock, in some ways better than the Ohlins, and slightly less expensive. Built to order, more adjustments than Ohlins. They do make one for K75's/K100's. DISCLAIMER - the importer of Wilbers is a good friend and used to own my current K75S.. plus I gave him some help with his website. Doesn't change my opinion - it's a better shock than the Ohlins, and that seems to be a very common opinion from anyone who has owned both.

I had a Fox on my K75S, and found it just awesome. Kinda spendy, but much less than Ohlins or Wilbers. If I had a K75, I'd buy one again.

Be sure to think about new fork springs as well. I put a Progressive on the rear of my bike, and it made the front end start to feel like a pogo stick. Progressive makes some stiffer fork springs that are supposed to be decent that I'll be purchasing here real soon. If you need a shock though in the meantime, buzz me off list I should have my old stock spring laying about.

Fox no longer makes road bike shocks. They will still support the existing ones, or so it says on the website.

I've had a Progressive on my K75S for years but I have to agree with most of what has been posted before. Progressive 420's seem to be damped too light for the spring. When new you can set the compression and rebound to their max and it will work OK but as the shock wears it becomes underdamped. I've had it rebuilt twice but can not get them to increase the low speed rebound damping.

Had a Progressive 420 on my K100RT.. it didn't work well for me.

I've had the following, in increasing order of satisfaction:

Stock - over spring/under-damped

Progressive - Way over spung and they wouldn't do anything about it.

Works Performance - good shock, built to you - but needed frequent rebuilds.

Ohlins - good shock, can be rebuilt at any dirt-bike suspension shop. Expensive, but worth it. I don't believe they still make a model for the K75's.

Wilbers - excellent shock, in some ways better than the Ohlins, and slightly less expensive. Built to order, more adjustments than Ohlins. They do make one for K75's/K100's. DISCLAIMER - the importer of Wilbers is a good friend and used to own my current K75S.. plus I gave him some help with his website. Doesn't change my opinion - it's a better shock than the Ohlins, and that seems to be a very common opinion from anyone who has owned both.
I just bought Tom & Rosie Sperry's 1992 K75. Fly to California to pick it up on October 1. I had Wilbers on my 1150RT that I bought from Klaus Huenecke and rebuilt by him last March. Where can I buy Wilbers for my K75 now that Klaus does not sell them?

I just bought Tom & Rosie Sperry's 1992 K75. Fly to California to pick it up on October 1. I had Wilbers on my 1150RT that I bought from Klaus Huenecke and rebuilt by him last March. Where can I buy Wilbers for my K75 now that Klaus does not sell them?
Jim - you might contact Klaus and ask about Hyperpro shocks. The price may (not sure) be less than Wilbers, and it is an equivalent shock..

Jim - you might contact Klaus and ask about Hyperpro shocks. The price may (not sure) be less than Wilbers, and it is an equivalent shock..

I just checked the Hyperpro web site and they don't seem to list any shocks for the K75 or any other K bike.

Klaus also sells YSS

With all this talk about Klaus, I'd remind folks that he also sells YSS shocks. I bought a YSS for my K75S about a year ago through Tom Cutter (who got it through Klaus). It looks like a very high quality product, threaded pre-load adjuster, 60-click rebound adjuster, came set up almost perfectly for me, and works, very, very well. It only cost me $375 and I would say you'd have to spend half-again, if not closer to twice as much to get something comparable. It might be worth while to ask Klaus about these as well as the Hyperpros.

Does Klaus have a website?

What is the best way to contact Klaus? I'd like to get a rear shock for my K75 - I never understood the significance of suspension until my 15 year old had his front forks and center shock rebuilt on his KX125 - he races. The bike is so stiff and solid - it becomes a safer bike to ride.

My question - just got the K75S, an '87 - should I ride it for awhile and see how it feels - it has stock spring shock. I do plan to replace the front fork fluid - while on this topic - how do you do it and not make a big mess? Is it okay to drain one side at a time or do both sides have to be drained simultaneously?

Ken

What is the best way to contact Klaus? I'd like to get a rear shock for my K75 - I never understood the significance of suspension until my 15 year old had his front forks and center shock rebuilt on his KX125 - he races. The bike is so stiff and solid - it becomes a safer bike to ride.

My question - just got the K75S, an '87 - should I ride it for awhile and see how it feels - it has stock spring shock. I do plan to replace the front fork fluid - while on this topic - how do you do it and not make a big mess? Is it okay to drain one side at a time or do both sides have to be drained simultaneously?

Ken

All of those answers and more answers to not yet developed questions may be answered by this afternmoon....Oh yes...it is your destiny....

Questions you have...answers will be provided. Try you must not, do your must.
(sorry, Big Star Wars fan here) :jester

With all this talk about Klaus, I'd remind folks that he also sells YSS shocks. I bought a YSS for my K75S about a year ago through Tom Cutter (who got it through Klaus). It looks like a very high quality product, threaded pre-load adjuster, 60-click rebound adjuster, came set up almost perfectly for me, and works, very, very well. It only cost me $375 and I would say you'd have to spend half-again, if not closer to twice as much to get something comparable. It might be worth while to ask Klaus about these as well as the Hyperpros.
Last Spring, I purchased a YSS Z-366 TR — Gas Mono Shock Absorber for my '92 K75 directly from Klaus who installed and set it up for me in his shop in Englishtown, NJ.

I have been exceptionally happy with it. It's well made, performs excellently, looks great and at a much more affordable price-point than Works or Wilbers ($350.) is a superb value.

I recommend this shock if you're looking for value and performance.

Klaus's EPM performance Website: http://www.wilbersusa.com/ (note: he still holds the rights to the wilbers domain name even though he no longer sells their product)
YSS's Shock Website: http://www.yssusa.com/series-z.html

As a general comment - Klaus has all the parts necessary to build almost any needed/desired configuration of YSS shock. I've looked at the innards of the YSS and compared them to Wilbers and Hyperpro - the family resemblence is amazing, but not a surprise, the same person designed all three brands. Quality of the YSS appears top rate.. the difference between the YSS and Hyperpro is in things like the shaft diameter, and shaft-coatings, and the Hyperpro has a few bells and whistles the YSS doesn't.

As a general comment - Klaus has all the parts necessary to build almost any needed/desired configuration of YSS shock. I've looked at the innards of the YSS and compared them to Wilbers and Hyperpro - the family resemblence is amazing, but not a surprise, the same person designed all three brands. Quality of the YSS appears top rate.. the difference between the YSS and Hyperpro is in things like the shaft diameter, and shaft-coatings, and the Hyperpro has a few bells and whistles the YSS doesn't.
Thanks to everyone for the excellent replies. It looks like Shock Master Klaus is going to get some more of my money!

Back