• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bakersfield Back in BMW Business

S

SNC1923

We went on a short breakfast ride yesterday. What makes this ride different is that we began a new tradition: meeting at the local BMW dealer.

It's true: after a couple of decades' hiatus, Bakersfield has finally acquired its own BMW dealership! Up until now, when I've wanted to visit a dealer, it's meant a 100+ mile ride, north, west, or south. After three years, Valley Cycle (gasp! a multi-line dealer) has acquired a BMW Motorrad dealership. They're just getting started. They've got a handful of bikes on the floor and are starting to get in apparel and parts. They also sell Victory motorcycles and Polaris products, too.

242961755-L.jpg

242960981-L.jpg

242961453-L.jpg

Their mechanics have already gone to school and their sales reps are currently undergoing online training. They've got a steep learning curve, but I'm optimistic. It's really going to be nice to go for an 8.3 mile ride for parts and accessories.

After a donut and checking out the new shop, we hopped on the 99 south to the 138 and jumped on to the old road heading toward the Rock Inn in Lake Hughes.

242962081-L.jpg

It's a total roadhouse with all the expected ambience.

242964097-L.jpg

242963649-L.jpg

242963235-L.jpg

Brad is smiling, delirious with hunger.

242965066-L.jpg

Steve, one of our newer riders, recently walked away from a rainy-day crash on his F650.

242965891-XL.jpg

Another newer member, Bob, and his travelling companion, Pee Wee. He's the only one of us on a K-bike and the only one who brings a dog. Coincidence? I think not.

242962485-XL.jpg

Pee Wee is a vibrant pooch and is quite popular with the dog lovers among us. . .

242962829-XL.jpgg

. . . though he is apt to look upon custom-molded earphones as chew toys.

242966220-XL.jpg

Pee Wee's playhouse, a two-tiered affair that allows him the full riding experience. The whole thing is wrapped in a down-blanket on cold mornings (41 degrees) such as yesterday.

242964478-L.jpg

Orange you glad you bought a beemer? I actually admired this brand new bike parked outside.

That's it. Those of you coming to California or traveling from north to south or back now have a place to get a tire changed, buy a quart of oil, or just stop in for something cool to drink.

Bakersfield's back in business, baby.

Last edited:
Very nice Tom, glad you've got a new shop to go to. It looks very nice from the pics!

Glad to hear it! :clap :clap :clap

Back in 2003 I was in bakersfield on biz and as usual in my travels, looked in the yellow pages for a BMW shop from whom I could collect a shirt. The book was from 1986, but it listed a place called Johnny's. I didn't have a map but somehow managed to stumble upon the old shop, and I nearly cried when I saw the remains (including an airhead-frame gathering dust in the tattered former showroom). I thought of all those small shops disappearing. A couple of years later someobody told me Johnny was a real character too, full of great stories and that he must surely be deceased by now.

I hope that Valley Cycle find great success with BMW!

Glad to hear it! :clap :clap :clap

Back in 2003 I was in bakersfield on biz and as usual in my travels, looked in the yellow pages for a BMW shop from whom I could collect a shirt. The book was from 1986, but it listed a place called Johnny's. I didn't have a map but somehow managed to stumble upon the old shop, and I nearly cried when I saw the remains (including an airhead-frame gathering dust in the tattered former showroom). I thought of all those small shops disappearing. A couple of years later someobody told me Johnny was a real character too, full of great stories and that he must surely be deceased by now.

I hope that Valley Cycle find great success with BMW!

I'm planning to do an ON article on the new shop. . . . Part of the concept would be a brief history including Johnny's. The shop predates my living here, but all my buddies know it well. One claims he was the first to dual-plug a BMW engine, though I can't verify that. He was, indeed a character. Apparently, things started to go south when the K-bikes were introduced. One of the BMW racing bikes (R90, I think) that is now in a museum was found in back of his shop.

East Coast Guy

Hey, My wife applied for a job with Kern County. If she takes it I may end up in Bakersfield. I feel I have ridden many roads here in the North East and East Coast. I would not mind a whole new look. And believe me when I say I feel it would be a completely new look.

What's the major difference between east coast and west coast riding?

Hey, My wife applied for a job with Kern County. If she takes it I may end up in Bakersfield. I feel I have ridden many roads here in the North East and East Coast. I would not mind a whole new look. And believe me when I say I feel it would be a completely new look.

What's the major difference between east coast and west coast riding?

Tons of great riding, starts no more than 15 minutes of wherever you'll move.

Read Mean Justice before you make the decision.

Did you have the pulled pork sandwich?

I made some at home the night before, so I ordered breakfast instead, the "hobo special." Potatoes, green peppers, onions, bacon, sausage, cheese. . . ." It sounded great until I got it and realized it didn't come with eggs.

Hobo, indeed. :huh

Apparently, things started to go south when the K-bikes were introduced.

How funny, because the ad in the 1986 yellow pages contained a drawing of a K100.

And spookily, I found that phone book containing the ad for the defunct dealer in, of all places, the county morgue.

Johnny's had Steve Pierce racing a red R100S for them during the last kick at the can. I spent an afternoon there in '81 talking about their racing program. He was definitely an interesting character.

Woodgrain

Yes Johnny Was a Character

I lived in Bakersfield from 1989 to 1993 and spent many a Saturday morning sitting and talking to Johnny and his wife. I probably spent a couple of hours every other Saturday morning with him. He spoke often of how Reg Pridmore was successful in his racing career because of what he brought to the boxer engine and frame by adding gussets. Back then there was probably not a part for older BMW bikes he could not find either in the shed out back or the attic over the shop. He spoke about when he was younger and was still riding he would lead rides on Saturday afternoons after the shop closed. A story teller extraordinaire.

darrell

Back